Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: great schools, nuclear power, second degree, chronic anxiety.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 20,294 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum for a while and I have found several disturbing things, but not seeing the area yet I can't rule out our relocation totally based on these concerns. I just need some more information. There are a few things that have been bothering me that I hope some of the natives can help me to overcome. 1) The sex offender situation; there is house I had wanted to look at in Apex then saw that my new neighbor would be a registered sex offender who spent 3 years in prison in Kansas for a second degree sex offense.

2) Some of the comments about the schools scare me; I can't figure out if these school are truly better for my kids than the ones here is Southern NJ.

3) Will the garbage dump in Holly Springs effect quality of life there in any way?

4) Does or could the nuclear power plant effect quality of life? Is this a major concern?

Any help w/ these issues would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 AM

60 posts, read 303,597 times
I will go ahead and rule out 1 and 4 for you. Unless you have chronic anxiety and just enjoy worrying about things, those two shouldn't even be an issue. Nuclear is proven safe, not sure why so many people have such issues with it.

As for the sex offender thing, a registered one lives close by in my neighborhood. Doesn't stop my wife and I from walking by that house everytime we go for an evening stroll. My wife walks alone on that street often and even knowing that a registered sex offender lives there doesn't bother me. For all I know an ex-serial murderer could be living right next door, but since they don't have to register, I'd never know. Plus no matter where you live, one could move in after you have already purchased your home...

I guess for # 3, it depends on how close you live. Apparently there is a large landfill in north Raleigh that people live right next to and it doesn't bother them, but I wouldn't know for sure since I don't live there.

My daughter is too young for school right now so I'm not 100% familiar with the schools. I do know that Wake county supposedly has some of the best in the state if not country. Obviously some are better than others but having grown up in small towns in NC and gone to those public schools, I would have much rather attended a Wake County schools, hands down.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:59 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I sent you a pm that maybe of some help to you. Have a great day.

Debbie

Old 09-06-2006, 06:02 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I'm really glad they post that sex offender list. I myself am not living next door to one, but would be very glad to know one moved in. In general they are everywhere sad to say. Some states just don't post them. We have a whole lot less than some areas I believe. It is a good thing to moniter. Alot of them are not crimes against children, but women, and women they know. Doesn't make it any better, they are still creeps, and I know what I would do with all of them. :-)

Debbie

Old 09-06-2006, 07:14 AM

333 posts, read 1,201,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJshery View Post
I have been reading this forum for a while and I have found several disturbing things, but not seeing the area yet I can't rule out our relocation totally based on these concerns. I just need some more information. There are a few things that have been bothering me that I hope some of the natives can help me to overcome. 1) The sex offender situation; there is house I had wanted to look at in Apex then saw that my new neighbor would be a registered sex offender who spent 3 years in prison in Kansas for a second degree sex offense.

2) Some of the comments about the schools scare me; I can't figure out if these school are truly better for my kids than the ones here is Southern NJ.

3) Will the garbage dump in Holly Springs effect quality of life there in any way?

4) Does or could the nuclear power plant effect quality of life? Is this a major concern?

Any help w/ these issues would be appreciated.
#1 you have to decide for yourself. As posted on that specific thread - for every 1 registered there are probably 3 not registered or not known about. You have to be vigilant and use common sense if there is 1 on your street or 5 streets away or 5 towns away (they have cars!)

#2 If you are moving to NC, Wake County has some of the best schools in the state. NC education as a whole is not as "good" by statistics as many northern states, but with that said, Wake seems to be a lot better than the average across NC.

#3 Just stay north of the Holly Springs dump, i.e. north of "future" 540 and you shouldn't have issues. As the other poster said, there is a dump in N. Raleigh and apparently there are $400K homes going up around the area. It is probably something more to consider for people moving to Holly Springs a decade from now when they get around to developing land around the dump itself, for now there is a ton of undeveloped land no where near the dump

#4 Nuclear is way overblown... there hasnt been an accident in the US in 30 years. If there is a SERIOUS accident it won't matter if you live in Holly Springs or Charlotte. There are many nuclear plants across this country and the fact you don't hear about them atests to their safety. More people die falling off a ladder or getting hit by lightning than anything to do with nuclear plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary