Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM

13 posts, read 34,523 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of moving to Raleigh and I have been doing a lot of research on these boards. It seems as though there is a flood of incoming transplants to the area, and I've noticed a couple of negative remarks on here concerning that. Is that a sentiment that I can expect to find a lot in the RDC area? Is there an us vs. them mentality brewing?

I totally understand that all of these transplants lead to overcrowding in the schools and hospitals, more traffic and possibly more unemployment. But it also leads to increased value in your property, more diversity, and a more educated population moving for the tech companies and universities.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I have lived in this area since I was three, and i have seen many many changes. So, I think people are accepted based on how they act! To be very very honest, I have had people who transplant here who completely criticize the area, the food, the schools, etc. The gut instinct is to say go back where you came from!

I believe the majority of people who move here are able to immerse themselves in the culture and appreciate the place for what it is, and even appreciate the hot and humid summers!

I think people have a perception that you will come to the area, buy a house and the locals will ply you with sweet tea and cookies while grilling you on what church you attend. Honestly, we are more of a live and let live kind of group. There are some great threads on this site about all of the things you need to know about living here!

Leigh

Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
There are probably more people from out of state originally that live in Raleigh than those born here. IMO the entire "I was here first" thing is kinda childish, and a way of identifying with others to complain about things. In other words, I wouldn't worry about it, the people that complain, you don't want to associate with anyway .

Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
It's not - just this board is. This board probably does more to scare away new transplants than anything. When you get here, you'll be welcomed, don't worry.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
You'll be fine. You WANT to come here. If you come and it's a mistake, don't take it out on everyone down here, just go back home quietly as soon as you can.

Most people who don't like it down here did some poor, poor research, or are the type who can't be happy anywhere because they are convinced that Nirvana exists somewhere - somewhere they are not.

There are people who are NOT here voluntarily. They can complain if they want to I guess, although I know plenty of people who were transferred here and love it.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I've just moved here and in my experience everyone is pretty friendly and welcoming to newcomers. Although, I've honestly met almost no one who is originally from the area, so perhaps they feel differently?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
It's not - just this board is. This board probably does more to scare away new transplants than anything. When you get here, you'll be welcomed, don't worry.
^^ Agree 100%. I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 52,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
^^ Agree 100%. I wouldn't worry about this at all.
I also agree. I love this forum as a resource now that I'm here, but there are days that I'm glad I didn't know about it when we were making our decision to come.

You'll be fine and won't encounter any "anti-transplant" sentiment here in real life.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 PM

794 posts, read 1,324,994 times
I moved here in April and have only met, I'd say, about 6 people originally from the Raleigh/Durham area....and if they were unhappy with my moving here, they kept it to themselves.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I think people have a perception that you will come to the area, buy a house and the locals will ply you with sweet tea and cookies while grilling you on what church you attend.
hey now! no one gave me any cookies when I got grilled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary