Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM

82 posts, read 169,604 times

Advertisements

I am staying at the Sheraton Downtown Wednesday through Friday nights and am looking for interesting suggestions that a single woman could have dinner and a few drinks somewhere near the hotel. Am very adventurous would love great recommendations for interesting, ethnic and/or just plain tasty food that is within walking distance if possible. Small plates would be great - TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
You have a LOT of options in walking distance.

Sitti (Labanese) and Gravy (Italian) are both on the corner of S. Wilmington St and Hargett St.

The Pitt (BBQ) isn't too far off as well as Caffe Luna (Italian) and Tir Na Nog (Irish).

If you are in the mood for bar food, Raleigh Times Bar is a decent choice as well.

Have fun exploring!!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Love sitti!!! It is very good food and not too pricey! they are some great pubs around there as well. Of course, one of my favorites is the cupcake shoppe, but that is on glenwood, I believe. We did walk it one night, but it can be a haul!

Leigh

Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 PM
VSB

170 posts, read 798,371 times
1. Beer + Good Food (heavy on meat) in Seaboard Station (a hearty walk from downtown): J Betski's
2. Beer + Good (Pub) Food in a pub atmosphere: Raleigh Times (the original gathering spot for the "new" downtown). Another restaurant in the same vein is The Oxford (a bit more upscale on Fayetteville Street near the new downtown plaza). Still others within the same niche, include: Busy Bee Cafe (good, fun), Natty Greene's (nice space, better than average pub food, within Glenwood South rather than "downtown").
3. Mexican: Dos Taquitos Centro (somewhat upscale) and Jibarra (hipper vibe upscale)
4. Global-ish: Buku (nice, small plates for sharing with large prices that go along), and Humble Pie (same concept, nicer patio, laid back, cool vibe, probably my favorite restaurant in town right now).
5. Middle Eastern: Sitti (I think this is a very well executed concept at a good price; a joint venture between Empire Eats, which also runs the Raleigh Times bar, above, and Neomonde bakery, which runs an excellent cafe near Meredith College, and a popular bakery where many local restaurants and stores (Trader Joes) get their freshly baked bread products).
6. Southern upscale in a downscale atmosphere: Poole's Diner (small room, no reservations, usually packed for good reason, Ashley Christensen just competed against Bobby Flay) or her new restaurant, Beasley's Chicken & Honey (decidedly downscale, without a dedicated website)
7. Southern upscale in an upscale atmosphere: Second Empire (menu prices may leave you somewhat breathless, but the food is awesome, and it's really just a nice treat, eat in the Tavern downstairs for a more casual atmosphere, this is my go-to place for a special dinner)
8. Italian: Gravy (next to Sitti; formerly a joint venture with the Monica family of Bella Monica, who serves the best pizza we've had in town, now an Empire Eats solo gig). Caffe Luna (yes, two "fs" located just down the street), and 518 West (Glenwood South) are italian alternatives.
9. New American: 18 Seaboard (good food not amazing food, although everyone else loves it, while the atmosphere is too modern for my tastes (though the same could be said about Buku, which has better food IMO)).
10. Chinese with a twist: Five Star (how can you not like a restaurant whose website is "heatseekershrimp" and whose tagline is "hide your cats?"). Unfortunately Empire Eats' successive endeavors on Moore Square (Duck and Dumpling followed by the extremely short-lived Fai Thai) are both now shuttered.

There are, of course, more options, but that's my "short" list for the moment. You may find a nearly inclusive list of everything available in town HERE (within the geographical constraints shown).

Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 AM

45 posts, read 280,403 times
Tir Na Nog is wonderful

The Remedy Cafe is a good little cafe in the wall type place.

If you make it to glenwood via taxi, you can try the Red Room for their Tapas and Drinks.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
You can also get to Glenwood South (NW corner of DT) by the free RLine hybrid bus. It's fairly new, clean and safe. Near your hotel, it picks up at the convention center and runs a counter clockwise loop through the various DT neighborhoods. I am sure your hotel will have printed information on it or you can just search for it online. Glenwood South is walkable too but it would take you 15 minutes or more depending on your gait and your shoes! :-)
Try Solas on Glenwood for rooftop drinks if the weather is nice. RedRoom is also one of my casual favorites. A bit edgier, Five Star is a good chinese option in a totally non-Chinese restauraunt atmosphere. ....mmmmm mmmmm mmm....that crispy sesame beef is one of my favorites!
The Rockford is a locals hangout. It's casual and intimate and inexpensive. It's mostly a restaurant but it also has a small bar. For dessert and coffee, I love Turkish Delights for ice cream and dozens of different baklava. The two Turkish women who run the shop are truly a delight! :-)
Five Star - Hide Your Cats
Home
Red Room Tapas Restaurant, Raleigh, NC (http://redroomraleigh.com/ - broken link)
The Rockford Restaurant - Downtown Raleigh Dining - About
Turkish Delights

Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Everyone has mentioned some great options. My suggestion is La Volta, which is right across Fayetteville Street from the Sheraton.

It is the only Italian restaurant I've found in town that has food that tastes just like the homemade dishes my Italian great aunt used to make from scratch for our family.

Also, if you have an interest in checking out some of the places a little farther flung (i.e. Seaboard Station and Glenwood South), you can ride the free circulator bus - Get Around :: R-LINE :: Downtown Raleigh. There is a stop on Salisbury St. in front of the convention center.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
More votes for Sitti for dinner and Raleigh Times for a beer afterwards

My wife and I went to both this past weekend for my birthday. We each got a salad (her - tomato+basil+mozz, me - field greens+feta+dates+walnuts) and then split 4 small plates (fries, peppers stuffed with goat cheese, fried cheese with dates, and falafel).

At Raleigh Times, she got a gluten free beer (a Dubbel) made in Belgium and I got a Baltic porter (Carnegie porter, from Sweden).

Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Don't know if you are in town for Hopscotch or not, but if not, make sure you are aware of it. The wristband pick up with be going on in the lobby of your hotel, and crowds downtown will be large. Things kick off tonight with the posterscotch gallery opening at Amplified Art with free beer from local brewers Big Boss and local band Small Ponds. Then tomorrow afternoon are some free music parties during the day, followed by the paid Hopscotch stuff at all the clubs in the evening. Friday adds way more day parties, a big outdoor stage for wristbanders with Drive by Truckers and others and more club stuff. (and also more Saturday, but looks like you'll be leaving).

Friday is probably the only night it might be really busy, as some attendees are only doing the clubs and others are only doing the outdoor concerts, so bars and restaurants might be busy all night. Tonight will be slow. Thursday, once the club shows start, restaurants and such should settle down.

So, my recommendations for food are to do either Beasley's or Poole's to try Ashley Christiansen's stuff one night. I'd also try to do either buku or Sitti one night. For a cheap meal, either lunch or early dinner, I really love Spize. Those are all my must-try places for people. After that, play it by ear.

For drinks, definitely check out Raleigh Times. It will stay busy this weekend. I'd also try Landmark down the street. For a really good cocktail, normally I'd say to try Foundation, around the corner from the Times. But Ashley's Fox Liquor Bar opens this weekend, and I would try that for sure. She brought in a bartender from Greenwich Village's Little Branch bar to design the drinks. I've been to Little Branch, it is excellent.

R-Line, walking and Rickshaws are my preferred means of travel around downtown and the immediate outlier areas.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,055 times
Yeah, it is gonna be crazy downtown, starting tonight...and really crazy Thursday thru Sat. Amplified Art should be a great scene tonight and very friendly. Caitlan Cary is a great performer and a lovely person and she will be there. You should not be afraid to check that out as a single person. You can take a rickshaw there and back if you worry about walking alone after.

Two great day parties will be the Saturday one at the Lincoln Theater and the Friday one at Fox Liquor (I love Roman Candle).

And yes, Hopscotch can be a youngish hipster crowd, but I am a 52 year old mother of 3 and will be there with bells on. Hopscotch Music Festival, Raleigh NC | Hopscotch Music Festival

Of course, if you are here for Hopscotch...I am being redundant.

I'll be down there for Hopscotch...but running crazy between clubs, or I would say "meet up with me!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary