Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times

Advertisements

I think Durham is the Triangle's best kept secret as the city has been cleaning up. I love that many of the neighborhoods have street festivals, etc. Maybe my next house will be in Durham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 AM

41 posts, read 66,071 times
Beaver. Queen. Pageant. Alrighty then, lol. I looked it up and it is funky and interesting I was warned away from Durham by my Cary friends, but I think I'll check it out. Not sure that their logic was valid or in fact, fully informed. I like that you made a distinction between Durham as a whole and a "sketchy" section thereof. NY is very much like that. You can't write off a whole borough (except maybe Staten Island), but there are definitely sketchy areas within the boroughs, where a walk through is equivalent to taking your life in your hands. Thanks for the tips. We'll certainly be adding the area to our itinerary.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
How about Hillsborough, it meets several things on your list, and has the artists, writer buzz too. It is just a few miles to Chapel Hill, and would be cheaper than Chapel Hill.
It's going on the list. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I think Durham is the Triangle's best kept secret as the city has been cleaning up. I love that many of the neighborhoods have street festivals, etc. Maybe my next house will be in Durham
Durham came up in a lot of my research, but because I was warned away from it, I kind of ignored it. Now, I'm thinking that may have been a mistake. At the very least, we should check it out thoroughly for ourselves. When we got this advice, we were a bit gun shy because we bought our current home in a "transitional" neighborhood just before the market crashed and burned. Our block is lovely and we have good neighbors, but the surrounding blocks are definitely sketchy. The crash in the housing market meant that gentrification was stalled and the potential for neighborhood improvement that was within reach when we got here, disappeared quickly. While the neighborhood has improved slightly, it's nothing like we thought or hoped for. The schools are still awful and we have to travel for decent restaurants, movies, shopping, etc. In a city like NY, that shouldn't be the case. We didn't want to end up in a similar situation with this move, so the minute they balked at the mention of the area, we crossed it off the list. Thanks for offering a little more insight.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Where else would you find the annual Beaver Queen Pageant, for example?
Eugene, Oregon -- home of the annual Slug Queen Pageant.

Now back to the OP .....

Old 09-08-2011, 01:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
I was warned away from Durham by my Cary friends

Somehow I'm not surprised...

But I bet there are plenty of things your friends like that you don't, and vice versa. Making moving decisions on what THEY say won't be in YOUR best interest. Durham of all the places in the area suffers from negative stereotypes based on how it USED to be. I don't even live there but I get tired of hearing the "warnings". My roots are forever in Raleigh, but if I didn't already live here and were able to pick a place in the area and live wherever I wanted, I think some of the older Durham neighborhoods would be lovely.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Quote:
Where else would you find the annual Beaver Queen Pageant, for example?
Eugene, Oregon -- home of the annual Slug Queen Pageant.
Ponders how to gently break it to Dark that there is a difference between beavers and slugs...

Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Ponders how to gently break it to Dark that there is a difference between beavers and slugs...
Dark knows the difference, but is pointing out the apparent similarities between the two events .....

Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 10,985 times
Where do you live in Brooklyn? I moved from Park Slope (where there were two separate murders on the street a couple of blocks from my house--totally not what you'd expect in Park Slope) to Durham and think that the areas people are recommending are safe, affordable, and generally great.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark of the moon View Post
eugene, oregon -- home of the annual slug queen pageant.

Now back to the op .....
I read this quickly and thought it had a "T" in it Anyhow, love it...slug queen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary