U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:49 PM

441 posts, read 1,217,689 times

Advertisements

Has anyone every used Scotts Southern Gold grass seed mix ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM

13,816 posts, read 24,833,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
Flip the bag over and it will describe the exact species of grass seed contained in the mix. Honestly, any turf type tall fescue (TTTF) seed is going to look really good and perform just about the same. With Scotts you pay for the name mostly, but they do sell good quality stuff.

Kentucky 31 is not a TTTF, but it's cheap, and hearty. The blades are a lot thicker and rougher.

The seed I bought last year at Southern State Co-Op had the previous years Scotts seed in it, for about 1/3 the price of the "current version" of Scotts southern seed blends.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 PM

596 posts, read 1,151,803 times
We are giving up with fescue, after 2 seasons of losing the grass to the intense summer heat , we will go with Bermuda or centipede next year, especially without an irrigation system ! Good luck !

Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM

596 posts, read 1,151,803 times
Quote:
Yes, it looked beautiful in the Spring, until we went away for 2 weeks and came home to 70 percent dead grass with the extreme summers we have been having, and no irrigation system, good luck !

Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,336,712 times
Spend a few hundred dollars on sprinklers and timers and you can avoid the lack of water.

A few hundred feet of hose
Some splitters
some hose repair kits (so you can break down the 100 foot hose and split it off)
some cheap sprinklers
a few timers.

Get creative, hide the hoses behind gardens/shrubs/etc... Then set the timers and forget about it. It's definitely worth the cost!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 AM

632 posts, read 1,717,269 times
Quote:
We just bought it for the first time. We have lots of bare spots to "repair" in our sodded lawn, so we got some topsoil/compost mixture and spread it around (aerating both before and after) and then put out the seed last Wednesday (Sept. 14). Yesterday evening (Sept. 21) and especially this morning, I can see the tiny green grass starting to show. We have irrigation and are keeping it moist. Fingers crossed that it'll look better next year than it did this year!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,336,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
We just bought it for the first time. We have lots of bare spots to "repair" in our sodded lawn, so we got some topsoil/compost mixture and spread it around (aerating both before and after) and then put out the seed last Wednesday (Sept. 14). Yesterday evening (Sept. 21) and especially this morning, I can see the tiny green grass starting to show. We have irrigation and are keeping it moist. Fingers crossed that it'll look better next year than it did this year!
7 day germination is great! Last time I planted the Rebels, I think it took around 2 weeks. Hoping it comes up quicker this time. Keeping the dog off the seeded lawn is a HUGE pain in the butt.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,592,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
We are giving up with fescue, after 2 seasons of losing the grass to the intense summer heat , we will go with Bermuda or centipede next year, especially without an irrigation system ! Good luck !
Im about to give up as well. Watering is becoming too much of a PITA. I do not want to dig up the ground and have hoses running underneath and behind bushes as it seems impossible to get 100% water coverage. The sun just destroys it as well.

Going zoysia most likely, although potentially interested in centipede, going to checkout supersod soon.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Me too. I opted for Bermuda because it can be reseeded in the fall, and this will give you a green yard year round. Here is a pic of my blackjack seeded bermuda planted on Sept. 3. I killed my entire front, side, and 1/2 of my back yard and replanted, it is taking much longer to establish than I thought it would. I will update as time goes, but I don't think it will look like a true bermuda lawn until next summer.

My neighbor has centipede and I took a pic of that as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for where and what brand Fescue grass to buy for reseeding..-blackjack_bermuda_grass.jpg   Recommendations for where and what brand Fescue grass to buy for reseeding..-centipede_grass.jpg  

Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Here are some pics someone sent me of their mature blackjack, sahara, and sonoma bermuda yard. This is in the greater Raleigh area. Seed was bought at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and I believe Lowes but can't remember the last place.

Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for where and what brand Fescue grass to buy for reseeding..-bermuda2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary