Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 AM

41 posts, read 66,069 times

Advertisements

We're visiting the area at the end of the month and will be staying near the airport. I'm looking for things to do with kids, places to eat on a budget (good food at cheap to moderate prices), and interesting sights to see. We're willing to drive up to an hour for any of the above. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times
Well, if you want a TRUE southern food experience I suggest you stop by the BoJangles on Airport Blvd. and get yourself a cajun fried chicken plate with a LARGE sweet tea.

Others may think that I am joking but I can tell you that Bojangles is a chain restraunt that you will only find in the south. By most souther standards they have the best sweet tea out there.

How long do you plan on being in town? What kind of things do you and your family like to do?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
We like Tribeca Tavern with the kids - just had lunch there! It's in Stone Creek Village in Cary, corner of High House and Davis Drive. Check out Bond Park with the kids while you're in that neighborhood (farther east on High House).

Duke Gardens ..my kids loved walking around the duck pond...you can also walk around Duke while you're there.

USA Baseball complex - I think there is something going on there at the end of the month.

Like soccer? See if the Railhawks are playing.

In Durham check out the American Tobacco Campus.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:25 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,504 times
Downtown Raleigh has a some sites. There is a museum of science, history, and a Kids Museum. Raleigh also has an art museum. Durham has a Museum of Life and Science.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
Durham has a Museum of Life and Science.
This is a terrific museum for the whole family. Fascinating exhibits inside and out. Huge dinosaurs (cement) outside on the trails. Butterfly house was incredible.

Duke Gardens was also a big hit with our family.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
The art museum on Blue Ridge Road is also free. There are a ton of parks for green space and some have nice playgrounds -- so worth looking up some near where you are staying.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
The art museum on Blue Ridge Road is also free. There are a ton of parks for green space and some have nice playgrounds -- so worth looking up some near where you are staying.
Also there is a really cool "walking art exhibit" on the grounds behind the museum, wtih cool things to see, if your kids are old enough and interested enough in walking for an hour or two.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,726,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Well, if you want a TRUE southern food experience I suggest you stop by the BoJangles on Airport Blvd. and get yourself a cajun fried chicken plate with a LARGE sweet tea.
If not BoJangles, then try Popeyes. Have mercy that's some good fried chicken! I do agree with the BoJangles ice tea, there is none better! Enjoy your stay while you're down.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,547 times
For restaurants on the cheap check out Restaurant.com.
Many of the ones there are local (not chains) so you could enjoy some local places but save some $$.

You may also want to sign up for Groupon & Living Social in this area. It is pot luck but along w/restaurants sometimes they run deals for fun things like the segway tours, boating, museums, etc.

If you are here over the last Friday in September (30th) there is a free concert at the Amercian Tobacco Campus in Durham. (And I know for sure that Cuban Revolution Restaurant which is right there is on restaurant.com so you could get a nice supper before/after the show.)
Back Porch Music Concert Series — North Carolina Public Radio WUNC

Motor Co also in Durham has a free Jazz concert w/food trucks on site Sundays from 2p to 4p. It is family friendly & we see lots of people who bring their kids.
MotorKokyu Bloody Brunch w/ Brian Horton Jazz Trio | M O T O R C O

I'd also second the Durham Museum of Life & Science. If you have a membership to another museum check & see if they are reciprocal. My brother & his family got in free there based on their membership to a musuem back where they live.

There is also Bennet Place, The Duke Homestead, Jordan Lake, Eno Park & the Morehead Planetarium in the area. Depending on what you & your family like those are all w/in driving distance & could be fun.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 AM

41 posts, read 66,069 times
So, we're here and we've been running around all over the place. Thanks for the suggestions, we'll be doing a number of these things, particularly the museums. Today, we're doing Chatham Hills, the winery. They have tours for almost nothing and the kids can see everything from how wine casks are made to how the wine itself is made. Lots of chemistry and such, so it's educational for them and we get to have a sip or two. :-) Thanks again for all the suggestions. It's been really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary