Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 PM

22 posts, read 65,624 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife & I would like to move to NC from Connecticut & we are considering moving to the Raleigh area. I am a Mechanical Engineer & my wife is a Veterinarian. I would love to know where most of the mechanical engineer jobs are located in NC? Is it the Raleigh area? Or are other areas better for my line of work than Wake county? Any clues on good veterinarian job areas in NC would be most helpful as well. Next week (Aug 20-25, 2007) we are visiting on vacation Holly Springs, Apex, Carey, Fuquay-Varina (homes priced < $350k). We already have a Real Estate agent but would love some job info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 05:26 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Please be more specific. What type of mechanical engineering do you specialize in? There are lots of engineering companies in RTP, which is an office park that straddles Durham and Wake counties, near the airport.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Please be more specific. What type of mechanical engineering do you specialize in? There are lots of engineering companies in RTP, which is an office park that straddles Durham and Wake counties, near the airport.

Thank you so much for the quick response. The area I specialize in would be more related to product design using 3D CAD(Pro/Engineer). Design of machine components: sheet metal, plastic parts, gears, pulleys, product packaging, etc. Related companies would be in business equipment, fax machines, copiers, printers, etc. I'm open to dropping the machine design specialty in favor of a ME job that is willing to offer a salary 65-75K/yr to someone who's 15yr experience is only related to machine design. I hope this helps. My brief research so far is leading me to believe that the engineering jobs around Raleigh are more for Software/IT people and Charlotte is more for the ME/design guy. Am I off the target?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
A vet might check with Dr. Jon at Magnolia Animal Hospital in Raleigh.

He's doing well and recently added some new NCSU graduates.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
A vet might check with Dr. Jon at Magnolia Animal Hospital in Raleigh.

He's doing well and recently added some new NCSU graduates.

Thank you so much saturnfan. We will definitely look into it. The Magnolia website looks pretty good too. Perhaps we will have to take a drive by to see it next week.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:48 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,919 times
I was fascinated by your email. I have married friends in the Boston area who are a Mechanical Engineer (husband) and veterinarian (wife)! NC State has a very good veterinary school. That might be a a good starting point for research on the job market. Can't offer anything on the ME side. Perhaps some of the universities might offer employment opportunities???

Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post
I was fascinated by your email. I have married friends in the Boston area who are a Mechanical Engineer (husband) and veterinarian (wife)! NC State has a very good veterinary school. That might be a a good starting point for research on the job market. Can't offer anything on the ME side. Perhaps some of the universities might offer employment opportunities???

Thanks cary_nc. I did notice how highly ranked the colleges are around there. Are your friends from Boston planning on making the big move? Anyone else have any info, all responses are welcome!! We fly out this Monday to have a look around the Raleigh area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary