Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 05:38 PM

156 posts, read 304,982 times

Advertisements

I found variations on this question in the archives, but not precisely what I want. We're staying in downtown Raleigh next week to scout out locations for a potential relocation which includes Durham. Is it wiser to park outside the city of Durham and take a bus in or is it doable to park nearer to the action. (Walking 15 or 20 minutes from the car to the downtown would be just fine.) Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 06:04 PM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
There are plenty of parking options right in downtown that would be fine.

What exactly are you looking to check out? American Tobaco Campus has its own parking garage & there is another by the DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center). Up near the convention center their is a paid lot in the building across the street. Brightleaf has its own lots that you can park in & get validated so it is free. And all over town you'll find plenty of on street parking.

Over on 9th Street I think it is a bit tighter, but we usually manage to find a street spot w/in a few blocks of where ever we are going.

And realistically if you park in any of those lots you can walk quite a bit. I don't think I'd walk downtown to 9th Street (too far for me) but beyond that it is do-able. I work right near the convention center & walk quite a bit at lunch. I've managed to go to the Farmer's Market, YMCA, DPAC box office, numerous restaurants & even my salon on my lunch hour w/no problem getting out/back in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:05 PM

One other thought... make sure you get a map &/or have your GPS up to date. Downtown Durham has quite a few one-way streets that can make it a bit challenging for drivers new to the area (and even some of us who've been here a while )

Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the great information. Really helpful to me. I'm thinking Brightleaf would be a good central location because it looks pretty darn interesting and is walkable to Duke as well. (Walkable to Duke Gardens would you say?
Any areas with interesting ethnic restaurants and people watching is high on our list.

again---my thanks for this quick reply.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 AM

Brightleaf is close to Duke East but I wouldn't walk from there to the Gardens. Keep in mind Duke is huge so being close to one part of campus can put you a couple miles from another part of campus. Even if you didn't go to the Duke Gardens the campus has some nice walking paths.

Ethnic restaurants... what do you want? Durham has it all. This is a totally foodie town.

Brightleaf has Nikos (greek), Chamus (Brazilian steakhouse), Mt. Fuji (Japanese) and several others. Alvia's or Parker & Otis are also right there & two of our favs. The other nice thing about Brightleaf is you are right on Main street which has some cute shops too.
For Mexican I'd say Dos Peros. That is probably 1/2 mile across town (easy walk). Cuban Revolution over at ATC (American Tobacco Campus) is also very good. And Bull McCabes has some amazing Irish food!

I'd suggest you check out the visitor center.
Durham, NC - Official Visitors and Newcomers Information (http://www.durham-nc.com/ - broken link)
Not just on line, but make it your first stop when you come into Durham. They can hook you up w/some maps & give you some suggestions on things you may want to see/do while here.

If you like gardens & such, you might also want to check out the UNC Botanical Center in Chapel Hill. Different from Duke Gardens but equally nice. There is also Eno Park (just north of downtown Durham). Much more of a park than formal gardens but nice paths, kayaking & a working Gristmill too.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:36 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
I think Brightleaf to Duke Gardens is a bit of a haul (about 1.5 miles--not terrible, but there's a lot of walking a the garden itself).

It's not hard to get around Durham--it's not a big city with a ton of traffic. I would walk around Brightleaf, maybe tour the Trinity Park neighborhood on foot, then drive to the gardens. Parking is easy there. Alternatively, you could take the Bull City Connector (free bus) from the Brightleaf area to the Erwin/Anderson stop and walk the few blocks from there.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM

I was wondering if there was a free bus in town. That's great information as well. You all really made this alot easier. Looking forward to the visit.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I think Brightleaf to Duke Gardens is a bit of a haul (about 1.5 miles--not terrible, but there's a lot of walking a the garden itself).

It's not hard to get around Durham--it's not a big city with a ton of traffic. I would walk around Brightleaf, maybe tour the Trinity Park neighborhood on foot, then drive to the gardens. Parking is easy there. Alternatively, you could take the Bull City Connector (free bus) from the Brightleaf area to the Erwin/Anderson stop and walk the few blocks from there.
Better still, the bull city connector loops by the Duke South Hospital Clinics, which is about 50 yards from Duke Gardens.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:33 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post
I was wondering if there was a free bus in town. That's great information as well. You all really made this alot easier. Looking forward to the visit.
All the buses are not free in Durham. But the "Bull City Connector" is. It runs from Duke Hospital/West Campus to Golden Belt.
It passes 9th St/Broad St, East Campus, Brightleaf, Downtown, ATC, and golden Belt. You can walk to most things right off that bus line.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
All the buses are not free in Durham. But the "Bull City Connector" is. It runs from Duke Hospital/West Campus to Golden Belt.
It passes 9th St/Broad St, East Campus, Brightleaf, Downtown, ATC, and golden Belt. You can walk to most things right off that bus line.

And it runs every 15 minutes on weekdays, every 20 on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary