U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM

385 posts, read 1,161,366 times

Advertisements

I'm specifically looking for info on Cedar Fever. I had never had allergies until moving to Austin TX and now I am in hell a good portion of the year because of my allergies, especially Cedar. Since we are looking seriously at Raleigh I need to know if this is going to be a problem here. It's serious enough to be a deal breaker. I love the outdoors so much and want to enjoy them again!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 PM

310 posts, read 539,745 times
I moved from Austin to Raleigh last year. The allergies here have been much easier on both my wife and myself than they were in Austin. In Austin we were constantly experiencing some level of discomfort year round. In Raleigh there were 2-3 weeks in April that were fairly bad but not to the level of serious Austin cedar fever. Interestingly I had worse reaction here than my wife, whereas in Austin my wife suffered much more that I did. Outside of April we haven't really had any problems.

You didn't ask, but I will add that for me the difference in traffic is even better than the difference in allergies. I don't work in RTP so my view is probably a bit skewed, but my commute involves going at (actually a bit above) the posted speed the whole way.

Also, after 20+ years in Austin I get a kick out of this from July 25:

CapitalClimate: Raleigh Sets Record for Consecutive 100° Days

Quote:
THE HIGH TEMPERATURE TODAY AT THE RALEIGH-DURHAM INTERNATIONAL
AIRPORT WAS 101 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 100 DEGREES
LAST SET IN 2010.

THIS IS ALSO THE FIFTH CONSECUTIVE 100 DEGREE DAY AT THE
RALEIGH-DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT... WHICH BREAKS THE OLD RECORD
OF FOUR CONSECUTIVE DAYS.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 PM

5,568 posts, read 16,407,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
I moved from Austin to Raleigh last year. The allergies here have been much easier on both my wife and myself than they were in Austin. In Austin we were constantly experiencing some level of discomfort year round. In Raleigh there were 2-3 weeks in April that were fairly bad but not to the level of serious Austin cedar fever.
Just wait a few years. . . . . .

My wife had bad allergies in TX (lived there her whole life), but when we moved here, they were greatly improved. Now that we've been here for 5 years, she's developed allergies to the new NC plants that weren't in TX.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM

540 posts, read 1,005,222 times
I too moved here from Austin...been here 11 years now. I do agree that they have worsened the more years I have been here. I'm about to give in and visit an allergist.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,161,366 times
ya, I am assuming that my allergies will kick up after a few years in a new environment just hoping they won't be anything like my experience with Cedar Fever. Overall, how are my fellow Texans enjoying NC compared to Austin? Happy you made the move?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM

5,568 posts, read 16,407,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
Overall, how are my fellow Texans enjoying NC compared to Austin? Happy you made the move?
We came from Dallas, not Austin. Wouldn't go back. Wife says the same thing.

We are disappointed in our jobs here as we had to take less "glamorous" positions here than in Dallas (the pickins' were fewer), but like everything else about the place.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,206,815 times
Big allergens here are oaks in the spring, grass and ragweed late summer into early fall. You can ck out www.pollen.com for current listing of allergens by zip.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 PM

310 posts, read 539,745 times
Quote:
Overall, how are my fellow Texans enjoying NC compared to Austin? Happy you made the move?
Here is a thread with some opinions. I still stick with what I said.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...s-talk-me.html

Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 AM

66 posts, read 116,307 times
Is ragweed really that bad in Raleigh area? We were just there over the Labor Day weekend, I didn't see hardly any around. In Michigan, I suffer tremendously from ragweed from August to October, and it can be seen everywhere! Does it just bloom and cause problems in northern NC later in the year?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,468,965 times
Love the link, thanks! Now I can find out what gave me a dry cough/scratchy throat in the spring. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do much about it, but I will have a name for my enemy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary