U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,105 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Raleigh Durham area approximately 8 mos. Recently I visited this area and stayed with my ex wife and son in their house in Cary. I 've read previously that people from Cary can be aloof and not very friendly. This I did not encounter maybe because I am a northerner myself. However, what turned me off about Cary was the endless cookie cutter houses that makeup their subdivisions; even my ex wife agreeded with me. After doing some research it seems that Durham has some individuality.

Although I read in forums about the crime stata supposely in this city it compares nothing to the crime that I saw in new york in the 80's and 90's(2000-2500 homicides a year).

Can anyone advise me on the social life for a single person in their late forties. Also I am interested in houses in the 200-300,000 range and not within the city limits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM

579 posts, read 2,760,884 times
Hi Rudy,
Both Cary and Durham have their own stigmas exactly as you have said. However, if you actually look more in depth and research you will find that each place has it's own unique appeal and the stigmas are mostly perpetuated by people who don't live there. Having said that, your budget does give you some good options and there are MANY towns that make up the Triangle area. My advice to you would be to rent for a little while (in a cental area like Cary or Durham) when you first get here and spend some time getting to know the different areas and what they have to offer. Sometimes it comes down price, culture, or just a general vibe people get in a town that fits them right. There are many singles in this area and plenty of stuff to do if you look for it. If you are open-minded enough to see all that's really out there, the possibilities are endless.
Good luck!

PS we lived in Cary for 3 years before moving to Fuquay and never once encountered any kind of snobbery. People are very friendly for the most part here and anyone that I've ever talked to that actually lives in Durham loves it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary