Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 02:28 PM

43 posts, read 216,107 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NYC and am thinking about possible relocation to Raleigh/Chapel Hill, NC. I am originally from the midwest and have lived in NYC for 20-some years . . . but it’s getting too crowded and expensive for me, so I’m looking into other possibilities. I like the warm weather so I’m thinking about moving south. I’m also looking for a good economy where I can easily find work (I’m a legal secretary).
I am in my mid-50s and single/no kids and like music (mainly jazz) and art museums/galleries and foreign movies. I also play percussion in a samba band here in NYC. I like to go out a lot and don’t mind going out by myself. This is not unusual in NYC; would it be unusual in NC? I am politically left of center and I’m not a churchgoer. I guess I could be considered somewhat of a “New Age” type of person. Would I be able to meet like-minded people in the Chapel Hill area? Would I be better off in Charlotte? Are there a lot of cultural-type things to do there? I don’t care so much about a “singles” or “bar” scene but am interested in meeting like-minded people who share my interests. I know there won’t be the number of things to do there that there are here in NYC, but just wanted some idea as to what the local “scene” was like.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
I recommend you take a look at Independent Weekly to get a feel for stuff going on in the area. It is very different from NYC, but that is going to be true of everywhere but a few places in this country. My guess is that this area would suit you better than Charlotte. But there are artsy, newage-y pockets to all the big cities in NC. Asheville may be somewhere else you want to consider.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:39 PM

12 posts, read 36,496 times
I am also thinking of moving to the research triangle area and we seem to have a lot in common. I'm making the trip 9/20/07 for an interview in Morrisville and will stay and look for housing in Durham. I'm divorced and in my 50's and also love the arts and lean to the left politically. My 25 yr old son may move with me and he is a musician; we are both very into art, music, film, etc and are not religiously inclined...I'll let you know what I find in this area if you would like that. Good luck with your move!
Lisa

Old 08-18-2007, 08:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Chapel Hill would probably be best if it fits your budget.

I used to live in Stuyvesant Town in NYC (10 years) and find Raleigh much cheaper and less stressful.

Still remember working at 42nd & Lex by the #7 train station. People would rush down the stairs like the train was the last trip to Heaven - so don't be left behind.

Funny thing was the trains were running 90 seconds apart.

Come for a visit then decide. I've been here 18 years and am a Bubba.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:42 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,741 times
Default Carrboro

Might want to check out Carrboro also (Which is right next to Chapel Hill)

Carrboro, North Carolina

Welcome to Carrboro.Com - Your hometown website

Enjoy!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Actually, with everything you are saying you are interested in, I'd look at Durham. Specifically one of the new downtown condos or lofts that would put you within walking distance of all the great things to do there, and very close to RTP as well. Also, there are a lot of companies from RTP that are opening up offices in downtown Durham so that visitors don't have to endure the extensive security at their main location.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Saturnfan, that's too funny! I live in Stuyvesant Town and work at 41st and Lex! Is it a small world or what?

I will visit the area in the late fall or early next year and then make a decision. From everything (or most everything) I've read in the form so far (and I've read a lot), it sounds pretty good. What's not to like?

Carrboro sounds good to me / Chapel Hill may be expensive but I'll see / I will also check out Durham.

Thanks, everyone. You've all been very helpful so far and I look forward to my visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary