Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjoy View Post
I certainly would NOT want to look at that daily.
BLEAH>

Just look the other way.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 AM

241 posts, read 934,480 times
Call me crazy, but I think there's a big difference between taxidermy over the mantle and a dripping carcass nailed to a pole through the head. Maybe it's a finer line than I think?

I posted this because I thought it was sort of strange, and unusual... but some comments suggest otherwise. Dead animal heads nailed to poles = normal... got it. Live and let live.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There are no wild boars in this part of the state. Only in a very few remote parts of the state in the western most counties. If it's real, it wasn't shot here, but elsewhere and brought back.
That's what I would have said about coyotes until I saw a family of them in my back yard 2 years ago.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,769 times
The whole of Hollands Farm looks strange and unusual to me and I grew up on a farm! My favorite part is the pond!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 AM

278 posts, read 467,490 times
I think it provides a good opportunity to teach the kids about what is real and what is not, and what should be feared versus what should not.

Even adults waste time and fret about things that are unlikely to affect them, while ignoring some real risks that they take or subject themselves to.

In this case, I would define "risky" as the sound of gunshots in a residential neighborhood, and suggest that this be referred to authorities for a more specific determination. I would not think of the boar as "risky" however ugly and grotesque it may be.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Back to the original question ... I notice in the pictures that the utility pole has ID numbers on it. That tells me that it's not a private pole - it's owned and controlled by one of the utility companies. There may be a company ID (and even a telephone number) somewhere else on it. You may just have to start making some calls - perhaps starting with the power company (if it's just a light pole). You'll need to give them the ID numbers from the pole.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
You're going to need a conch shell.....
Arrgh you beat me to it

but seriously, what the heck? Extremely weird

Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,408 times
Petunia16, I know I mentioned this in an earlier post, but have you tried actually talking to the people at the farm, asking them what the deal is with the boar head, and explaining to them why it concerns or bothers you? Wouldn't that be the place to start with this, even before the power company or the police?

Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,172 times
There are feral hogs all over the state. Wild boards tend to stay in a localized area in the western NC mountains.

The owner of the farm may very likely be hunting on their land. It's bow/deer season right now. But that doesn't mean they aren't sighting in their rifles or target shooting.

I live about 200 yards from a large parcel of land along the edge of Falls Lake that is leased to a hunting club. I can tell you when opening day of gun/deer season is by the alarm clock of gun shots that morning. I hear it all fall/winter long. As long as the hunters are following the rules laid out by the state, I have nothing to worry about. I don't think you do either. If you live out of the city limits, I think you should learn to accept the sound of gunshots, especially in the fall/winter. Country gun fire is NOT usually the same as city gunfire. It's their land, live and let live.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM

169 posts, read 574,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Petunia16, I know I mentioned this in an earlier post, but have you tried actually talking to the people at the farm, asking them what the deal is with the boar head, and explaining to them why it concerns or bothers you? Wouldn't that be the place to start with this, even before the power company or the police?
I agree with this. If you can, talking to people directly is a much better way to solve concerns/issues than calling others in. Plus, you may actually get to meet and know your neighbors. They might not be as bad as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary