Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM

35 posts, read 56,513 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Recently moved here . . . just applied for my driver's license. When that comes I will get my plates. Then I need to move quickly to get insurance. My current carrier does not operate in NC and is allowing me a grace period, which ends soon.

Any recommendations on carriers? Mostly interested in cheap, keeping in mind I want to have full or close to full coverage, not just liability. If it matters, my car is paid off and is a 2005 model year. Except for one minor fender bender (<$500) which happened on 8/8/08, so hitting the three year mark, my record is clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,021 times
It usually makes sense to shop around. Rates vary a bit depending on the insurance carrier. We use Erie.

Frank

Old 08-02-2011, 04:51 AM

650 posts, read 930,466 times
Insurance Professionals (INSPRO) on Kildaire Farm Road in Cary are independent Agents and will shop your cheapest rates.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,772,646 times
I switched this year to Erie Insurance (auto & home) after much research. Erie doesn't advertise but is rated very high. I used Chapman Insurance Agency in Raleigh but there are many other agencies that write for them in the area. Amica is another highly rated company (#1 JD Power) that doesn't advertise. I'm pretty sure you need a pretty clean driving record to be considered by either of these companies.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 AM

735 posts, read 1,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwanderer View Post
Hi,

Recently moved here . . . just applied for my driver's license. When that comes I will get my plates. Then I need to move quickly to get insurance. My current carrier does not operate in NC and is allowing me a grace period, which ends soon.

Any recommendations on carriers? Mostly interested in cheap, keeping in mind I want to have full or close to full coverage, not just liability. If it matters, my car is paid off and is a 2005 model year. Except for one minor fender bender (<$500) which happened on 8/8/08, so hitting the three year mark, my record is clean.
Welcome!

Are you or have you been in the US Military? Was/is your parents?

Are you a teacher and/or do you work for a educational employer (Duke, UNC, Rex, Wake County Public School System)?

The reason I ask is there are top rated insurance companies that offer excellent rates and discounts to people in the Military and to those who are teachers or work for companies that educate. If yes to either I would recommend USAA if you have any ties to the US Military or Horace Mann Insurance if you have any ties to education. I have used both for Home, Auto, Life, and Renters. Both have rates that cannot be beat.

If you aren't eligible for either you should consider State Farm, they seem to have great rates around here so says friends and extended family.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,978 times
Check out Amica. I'm not sure how their rates compare, but ours seem very reasonable. We've been with them many, many years and they have EXCELLENT customer service. Every time I call, I get a live human being right away who knows what they're talking about and does what they tell me they will do.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
I will second the USAA recommendation. I looked into them a few years ago when my in laws switched to Allstate, which prompted us to do the same. My father in law was in the Marines year ago, but he did not realize that USAA would allow people no longer in to join and we had both just switched, so we did not persue it. This time, after a couple of frustrations with my agent and being tired of the constant lies from all the major companies that they are all cheaper than each other, I found out the details and they switched, which then allowed my wife and I to switch.

They are pretty consistently ranked as one of the top companies and now I know why. We saved a decent amount over Allstate (and this is for real insurance with an umbrella policy, not legal minimums) and the service has been oh so much better. The people are so nice and helpful on the phone that I don't even know how to talk to them sometimes and you can do almost anythign you want on their website. THey also have an entire range of finacial services. Essentially a Credit Union and insurance CO.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 AM

540 posts, read 1,106,419 times
You really do have to shop around and get a couple quotes. I've been with State Farm forever. I've called other companies at different times to get rates but they could never beat State Farm for me. I just talked to Amica last week actually and State Farm is cheaper. I checked Erie, I checked with AAA insurance, etc. No one company is the cheapest all the time for everyone.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,772,646 times
Cheaper is not always what it seems. Make sure (especially with homeowners) that you understand the terms (things like HO3 vs HE7) so you know you are comparing apples to apples. A little research up front could be well worth it if we continue to get all these hundred year events every few years.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
And let me add that when I said USAA was decently cheaper than Allstate, its not like it was a huge amount. 10% give or take off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary