Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 AM

6 posts, read 16,760 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering the Holly Springs area very soon to buy a house. Things that are important to us are peace and quiet, safety, good preschools/elementary schools: all of which Holly Springs appears to offer. But we also like to bike-ride paved- and dirt-trailed paths, mainly paved, if available. We're not hardcore bikers, just mainly enjoy a peaceful ride for a few miles.

The homes I'm looking at are close to Fuquay -almost in Fuquay- near 55. I see Crowder and Harris, but those are 6,10 miles away, respectively, and I don't see much, if any, mention of bike trails. I have these in Cary and Raleigh, and was just wondering if there are some good, basic trails in Holly Springs, or do I need to put the bikes up on the rack and go elsewhere?

Thanks,

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Julian View Post
. . . . . But we also like to bike-ride paved- and dirt-trailed paths, mainly paved, if available. We're not hardcore bikers, just mainly enjoy a peaceful ride for a few miles.

The homes I'm looking at are close to Fuquay -almost in Fuquay- near 55. I see Crowder and Harris, but those are 6,10 miles away, respectively, and I don't see much, if any, mention of bike trails. I have these in Cary and Raleigh, and was just wondering if there are some good, basic trails in Holly Springs, or do I need to put the bikes up on the rack and go elsewhere?
Cary and Raleigh have excellent greenway trail systems (paved), but none of the other cities seem to have really attempted to make an effort to develop trail systems of their own.

Even the 2 parks that you mention, Crowder and Harris, do not have paved trails. At Crowder, you have a 1-mile circle around the park which is always full of walkers and little kids. . . not suitable for biking. Harris, to my knowledge, only has the park roads to ride on.

If you are interested in mountain biking on single-track dirt trails, Harris does have a nice trail system. I've been there a few times and have found the beginner and intermediate loops quite easy.

Last edited by NewUser; 09-29-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,111 times
this will help you find some of the trails in the area.

TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
this will help you find some of the trails in the area.

TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
The OP seems like he's more interested in paved greenway trails . . . . and probably the ATT. These are probably a bit more than he's wanting to attempt.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
The OP seems like he's more interested in paved greenway trails . . . . and probably the ATT. These are probably a bit more than he's wanting to attempt.
This may be more appropriate, but it will only reinforce what has already been said, that for what OP is asking, there is likely not much in the HS and FV area:

First 8 miles of Neuse Trail 20 feet from ‘officially’ opening | GetGoing NC!

(Click on some of the links to see some pretty comprehensive maps, on a side note, I think it is quite impressive how much the Raleigh Greenway System is coming along!)

EDIT> OP's best bet for paved greenway will either be Cary, Lake Crabtree Greenway, or possibly the Walnut Creek Greenway, which runs just north of I-40 in Southern Raliegh. Here is some description, and you can click on the link for a PDF map that is very handy:
http://www.raleighnc.gov/arts/conten...ailSystem.html

Old 09-29-2011, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 16,760 times
Thanks so much for the responses, friends! I figured there weren't many trails that meet my requirements in HS/Apex/FV, I just wanted to make sure. You guys did inform me of a couple things that I didn't know, however, so thanks for that. I don't mind putting the bikes on the rack, just wanted to see if anything was nearby that I was missing.

Thanks again!

Vince

Old 09-29-2011, 03:44 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,460 times
Also check out.

TeamCBC - Helping fight MS one pint at a time I rode with this team a couple times during the summer over some very nice rural roads in holly springs and even just slightly over into harnett county. The meet at a local brewery in holly springs off 55. A good bunch of people/families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary