U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 51,220 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for such quick positive suggestions. Yes, I know that 200 people is massive for such a small budget but it can be done. I'm the type of person that can make a $20 outfit look like $200. When most people settle for outrageous, inflated prices, I keep shopping. That is why I am asking for your help. I didnt want to tell my whole life story on here so I guess I left out some important details.
1) I hate flowers (they die).....balloons sound awesome and different
2) The dollar store is the most amazing place in the world for arts n crafts
3) I am extremely resourceful so ebay, and craigslist are my best friends. (Already have the most amazing dress for a fraction of the cost)
4) My fiance has many connections so the dj is free along with the anyone who is singing at the wedding or participating.
5) We are definately thinking outside of the box when it comes to food. Fajita bar, chinese, or something different. (We want people to leave full, not attempting to add salt to a $20 meal)
6) I am not a fan of cake......The last wedding I went too, they were begging people to take the cake with them. I'd love pie, cupcakes, or caramel apples.
With that said, what I really need is an inexpensive ($1200 or less) venue that will:
allow us to rent the facility for at least 5-6 hours (Saturday this spring early summer 2012)
has tables and chairs that can seat 200
bring in our own caterer
The rest of the money can be allocated toward decorations and food

P.S. We don't want the wedding to be located outside.....unless there is a really cheap tent to rent. If you know of any churches that will rent their facility please let me know. Trust me, I can pull this off on the budget that we set if I could just find a cheap venue. Help us.......
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM

804 posts, read 1,869,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're talking about $20 a head and that's just for the reception, forget about flowers, clothing, transportation, music. Is $4,000 the ENTIRE wedding budget, or just the reception?
it appeared to me that the OP is stating $4,000 for EVERYTHING.

OP, clarifying the inquiry regarding your expectation of the venue & reception would be helpful. $4,000 does not go far these days when it comes to any celebration that includes 200 people, much less when a portion of that is diverted to include things like venue fees, attire for the bride/groom, & food/drink (which are bare essentials for the day, with perhaps the venue fee being reduced/free depending on options).

i've helped plan plenty of weddings, including my own so i can share from my experience that in order to reduce some of your costs you may want to consider:

- a friday night or sunday afternoon/evening wedding
- wedding/reception in the same venue & making all the food yourselves, purchasing drinks wholesale or considering no alcohol
- reducing the number of guests - 200 is a lot, especially with a minimal budget
- moving the wedding from the spring to a different time of year - spring/summer are typically the most expensive for any venue, catering, & general purchasing of bridal attire since it is in high demand
- be prepared to invest a lot of time & effort in planning & be ready to recruit your fiancé/e & family & friends (as applicable) to help
- make ebay, craigslist, & other discount sites your friend, while doing non-stop research for the best deals on everything
- make a budget first thing to figure out how you want to allocate your costs (i.e., what is most important? least important? things you can cross off of the traditional list?)

check out indiebride.com for their forums. they have excellent ideas for doing things differently & on a budget. theknot.com has some info but i found indiebride.com to be far more help to me personally.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:38 AM

19,917 posts, read 29,736,644 times
People have mentioned this place on the forum in prior posts:

All Saints Chapel

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM

1,887 posts, read 5,475,338 times
If your budget for the venue is $1200, the Durham Armory might be an option (I think it rents for around $1000/day). Big enough space to have the ceremony and the reception, all the chairs and tables already there, big kitchen.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 51,220 times
Thank you to all replies that are helpful. The armory is an excellent example of what I am looking for. In fact it cost about $600 to rent the facility for 8 hours. It has tables and chairs for over 400 people. I could have the wedding and reception in the same place. That leaves $3600 for food (Fajitas or chinese) and decorations. Please provide more examples like these. It can be done, and I know it is possible.

If your going to be negative, or tell us to reduce our guest list please don't comment. Also, we already have a dress, tux, rings, and other assesories that we are not including in the $4000 cost. We just need a cheap venue and food. The wedding industry makes a killing off of people who are not willing to do the leg work, or are well off enough not to care.

For example: Called one location that looked know better than the armory and was 3x's smaller. I would cost $1600 just to breathe the air. $10 per used tableclothe. $5 per colored sash. $29 per person (chicken breast, starch, vegetables, and tea) $8 per person for a place setting. The price of the center peices made me ($20) . Oh yeah and most of this stuff is used for 5 hours never to be seen again. Why.....because we say its okay.

Yes, I want to share my special day with family and friend all 200 of them.
No, I don't want to start our marriage in debt or waste money we could have spent towards a house.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM

804 posts, read 1,869,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sforte View Post
If your going to be negative, or tell us to reduce our guest list please don't comment. Also, we already have a dress, tux, rings, and other assesories that we are not including in the $4000 cost. We just need a cheap venue and food. The wedding industry makes a killing off of people who are not willing to do the leg work, or are well off enough not to care.
for the record, since i assume you were speaking to me, our posts were posted at exactly the same moment. further, you never clarified until now that the $4000 cost was for your reception location. we are happy to help; having information to do so is imperative.

i do agree about the wedding industry which is why i did my wedding on a budget. everybody has their decisions on which to compromise based on their personal style. i'm certainly one who advocates that people have a wedding day reflective of them as a couple & one that marks the occasion of starting a new chapter in life together.

have you checked indiebride.com? there will be plenty of helpful anti-wedding-industry/frugal tips on there that can give you ideas. DIYing much of the stuff & putting in your own elbow grease will definitely cut costs.

someone above just posted this link & it's one place i've recommended before: Ceremonies and Receptions at All Saints Chapel. i cannot recall the price, but friends had this place for 4 hours -- had the ceremony upstairs & the reception downstairs & i seem to recall it being around $800 for that time period. they had their reception (about 120) catered by a local italian restaurant. i have no idea of the cost for the catering but i believe it was reasonable.

i think that all saints has all the chairs & tables there, but i cannot swear to it. i'm not certain if that's included in the rental fees or if it's in addition to them. one thing that you've run into (which i ran into when planning my own wedding) was that the cost of bringing in catering/tables/chairs/tablecloths/linens/plateware/servers/etc. was astronomical which is why we ended up having a full seated luncheon reception at second empire restaurant for just a bit more than all the headache of bringing in a small array of h'ors doeuvres onsite at our ceremony location & flipping the room from ceremony to reception. all that to say, if you can find a location with a flat price that includes the tables/chairs/linens, you will likely have a bargain there alone.

the 200 guests part makes it difficult to think of locations that may be in the price range + offer the onsite tables/chairs/linens. you may want to check these places (not sure of their prices but it can't hurt to call & ask; i know these locations can hold 200 but may be at/exceeding the upper end of your venue budget):

http://www.cobblestonehall.com/Cobbl...dingPacket.pdf
maybe some from this NC thread at indiebride.com:
indiebride: Vendors => North carolina come on and raise up.....

on decorations -- we decided to forego floral anything at the ceremony location & used paper japanese lanterns. since we got married in a warehouse-converted-to-church with black walls, the lanterns added a nice pop of color against the black & brought a different look to it without making it wedding-frou-frou (which isn't my thing). the lanterns were free for us but i think they can be purchased for relatively cheap if you shop around online.

as for the bouquets, i decided to go with feathers. my mom & i created feather bouquets with our wedding colors of tiffany blue, black, & white. they were easy-peasy with feathers purchased at michaels & from a cheap feather boa, floral wire, ribbon, & some pins to hold it all in place. i think we paid about $15 total for the supplies to make my bouquet, 2 maid/matron of honor bouquets, boutennieres for my DH & 2 best men & the dads. we used feathers at our reception venue scattered on the tables & around the cake table (not too close to the cake) from all of those feathers. it tied in with the theme, was unexpected, & we got plenty of compliments on it.

i have other ideas but not sure what you need so holler if you have more questions or need suggestions for DIY, unexpected, & frugal things.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM

1,887 posts, read 5,475,338 times
Sounds like you are doing things in a similar fashion to the way we did...It was a lot of fun!!!

Just a note. When you are thinking about how long to rent the facility, it's worth it to allot a full mornings worth of time to set up, and a couple hours to clean up afterwards (you were saying you checked the rates for 8 hours). We set up from around 8-noon the morning of our wedding with a bunch of friends and family, chilled out till the afternoon till the ceremony, and then had the "pre-afterparty" with about half the people who came to the wedding while we cleaned up. It was a great way to catch up with folks who we wouldn't have had nearly as much time to talk to during the reception.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM

699 posts, read 1,599,119 times
This thread got me to thinking of a great wedding we went to several years ago. They had a fajita buffet with black beans and rice that several of the aunts whipped up. Here a North Carolina barbecue buffet might be just the ticket.

Instead of a cake, they had a cupcake tower. They made the tower themselves with various boxes covered in wedding wrapping paper. It was the first time I'd ever seen something like that. But my daughter says that she's seen cupcake towers for sale on the internet and wants this for her wedding. (First though, she has to find a beau. )

They bought a bunch of their decorations from Oriental Trading Company including kazoos. When they left for their honeymoon after the reception, we all hummed "All You Need is Love" on the kazoos until our lips buzzed. Lot more fun than bubbles, bird seed, and rose petals. Several impromptu groups formed during the reception to practice.

They used silk flowers for the bouquets, etc. Very pretty and a lot less expensive. Plus they made them up way ahead of time. The tables had tea lights and vases of flowers she bought from a local farmer. She said she'd picked the vases up at Goodwill and Salvation Army for fifty cents or less each.

For drinks, they had a Margarita machine, but it couldn't keep up with the crowd and after the first thirty drinks or so it was pretty worthless.

They also had two boxes of champagne that they kept recycling. Back in the kitchen, the aunts used funnels to refill the empty bottles with ginger ale and wine from boxes. The groomsmen were wandering around, pouring "champagne" and hooting it up like they were downing shots of Tequila. And none the wiser except, of course, for those of us back in the kitchen.

They got some sort of deal on bunch of champagne/wine glasses. I think it was a dollar store, but I'm not certain. They used a stencil and etching cream to etch on their names and the date and a little curlicue. I think I still have ours. Was just the ticket. She said it was cheaper than renting champagne glasses and didn't care for disposaable glasses as they are always tipping over.

Another thing that they did was work with a dance instructor on a dance that they performed with their wedding party at the start of the reception. It was a hoot and got the party started. I've since seen a Youtube video of a wedding party that danced down the aisle. Seems that would take away a bit from the ceremony of the wedding. Just my opinion, but I liked it better at the reception.

All of this required lot of work ahead of time by the bride and groom and their friends and families, but it helped join the families together, which was the point of it all really.

Can't wait to see what you all decide on. Will you post photos for those of us not on the invite list?

Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 PM

330 posts, read 901,843 times
You can rent Connections Event Center and have your wedding and reception there for about $1000. Tables and chairs are included.

However you'll need to rent your own linens and bring in your own food or caterer -- which of course is where you can save a lot of money.

Connections Event Center - Raleigh Meeting Space for Special Events, Receptions, Corporate Parties & Functions

Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 11,395 times
I am looking for the same thing but I have 100 guests so.... if you have any ideas please let me know! We just want to stay within 3hrs of Fayetteville. We are getting married March 21, 2013(Thursday) & I also want a place indoors. Our cake at most will be $600. Our D.J. and uplighting is 1200 for an unlimited amount of hours. ur budget is $5,000. It includes our venue, food & bar. Can you help Bazers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary