U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM

4,598 posts, read 9,367,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun! I've seen those "silverware" and "china" dishes - very authentic looking. Please let us know how it turns out.
That's what we used for our wedding. It was funny watching people pick up a fork and being perplexed by how lightweight it was
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,596,454 times
Reporting back in...... our daughter was married in a lovely ceremony this weekend! The weather was beautiful, and everything went off without a hitch. It was a LOT of hard work, and we couldn't have done it without the help of family and friends.

As my sister said, it was proof that you didn't have to spend a lot of money to have a wedding that was beautiful and meaningful. Seeing my daughter and son-in-law beaming throughout the day was worth it!

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do that. Optimist Farm is a great location!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM

44,983 posts, read 18,628,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Reporting back in...... our daughter was married in a lovely ceremony this weekend! The weather was beautiful, and everything went off without a hitch. It was a LOT of hard work, and we couldn't have done it without the help of family and friends.

As my sister said, it was proof that you didn't have to spend a lot of money to have a wedding that was beautiful and meaningful. Seeing my daughter and son-in-law beaming throughout the day was worth it!

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do that. Optimist Farm is a great location!
Congratulations!

Sounds out-of-this-world wonderful.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM

9,137 posts, read 13,690,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post

She certainly had great weather! Glad it went off without a hitch!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 PM

527 posts, read 623,725 times
Please tell me how you did it? We're getting married in a little less than a year and our budget is a little bigger than yours was. Tell me your secrets!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM

4,598 posts, read 9,367,779 times
DIY DIY DIY. That's how we kept ours in the $5k range. We could have gone even cheaper but decided to splurge on a few things

Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM

804 posts, read 1,869,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
DIY DIY DIY. That's how we kept ours in the $5k range. We could have gone even cheaper but decided to splurge on a few things
Yes, this. Especially on deciding where to save & where to splurge. Some things are worth your time & materials spent on DIY; some things are not worth the hassle. For every couple, it's different.

For us, we DIYed the following:

Inserts for Invites (map, info, dishes for selection on the RSVP)
Programs
Favors
Bouquets & Boutennieres
Decorations for ceremony
Table Numbers
Table Cards

It can be done but do weigh what is worth your time & inclination.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 AM

44,983 posts, read 18,628,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
Yes, this. Especially on deciding where to save & where to splurge. Some things are worth your time & materials spent on DIY; some things are not worth the hassle. For every couple, it's different.

For us, we DIYed the following:

Inserts for Invites (map, info, dishes for selection on the RSVP)
Programs
Favors
Bouquets & Boutennieres
Decorations for ceremony
Table Numbers
Table Cards

It can be done but do weigh what is worth your time & inclination.
Pulling the wedding together can be a fun way to join the families. Give the mother-in-laws, fathers, siblings, aunts time to chat and get to know one another.

One of my favorite weddings had the aunts in the kitchen combining gallons of red wine with seltzer (could have been ginger ale or sparkling water, not sure) into champagne bottles. The groomsmen poured the toasts with the original bottles then recycled the bottles back through the kitchen for refills. They went around pouring all night. It was such fun both in and out of the kitchen.

Another of great wedding was put on by the siblings. They made the food, put up the decorations, and her brothers walked her down the aisle. (Dad was horse's patoot who threatened not to come if he couldn't walk her down the aisle. She said fine. My brothers were the guys that were there when I needed them and they're the ones I want to walk down the aisle with. Her mother had just had knee surgery or she'd have walked down the aisle with them. ) Her brothers were the bartenders. When the wine and keg ran out, they served coffee and pop. Great wedding.

One wedding had a margarita machine and fajita buffet. We all played board games and blew "All You Need Is Love" on kazoos as a send off.

I've been to weddings with sit down dinners and open bars. They were nice enough. But they all blend together. Not as memorable as the ones where the family pitched in to put on the celebration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary