Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:07 AM

112 posts, read 491,542 times

Advertisements

So you can smoke in restaurants in N.C.????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I'm still here in MA and while I agree with you on theory (banning something legal), I disagree in practice. If smokers want to kill themselves, I have no argument with that. But when their bad habits spill over into my airspace, I have a huge problem with that! I wonder how many years I've taken off the end of my life since I used to travel (fly) a lot before the smoking ban on aircraft.

MA bans smoking in just about all public places--restaurants, bars (!) and office buildings. Yay!
I feel strange advocating smokers rights, but here is some examples of what's next:
-banning peanut butter and jelly in the workplace---google this...its happening
-banning cologne and perfume
-banning people with pet dander on the their clothes

In 10 years you will submit to body mass indexing which will determine what you pay for health care.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
yessssssss

Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
Yes, some of them, but I choose to NOT eat in those places. I ask if smoking is allowed and if they say yes I go somewhere else.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I fully support the bans in public places like parks and public buildings but draw the line when it comes to private property.

I too remember the days of smoking at the mall. In fact, I was just in Belk the other day at Crabtree and some of their dressing rooms still have those little gold colored, built in ashtrays!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 AM

At this point I rather see it legal in parks, but make the fine for littering with a butt something draconian like $2000. Nothing ticks me off more than watching a smoker at a red light flick his butt out the window. Smokers don't even look around now to see if a cop is watching before doing it. It's not even littering to them.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 AM

112 posts, read 491,542 times
Wow I hope they change the smoking rules in restaurants soon in N.C.

I would def not eat at a place that allows smoking.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I actually have seen people get ticketed for throwing butts out, but it's one of those things where 9 times out of ten, law enforcement never sees it. I once saw a cop in Cary pick up a freshly tossed butt and hand it back to the driver with a ticket.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:42 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,877 times
BTW here is a list of smoke-free restaurants!

Smoke Free NORTH CAROLINA (http://www.smokefreeworld.com/nc.shtml - broken link)

Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Yes, some of them, but I choose to NOT eat in those places. I ask if smoking is allowed and if they say yes I go somewhere else.
When I lived in Seattle there was a restaurant/bar that chose to go completely smoke free. People were up in arms. Dire predictions that all the smokers would have to go somewhere else and the restaurant would go broke. Didn't happen. The restaurant remained popular (good food, good service, why wouldn't it remain popular) and it became one of my favorite places BECAUSE it was smoke free. And as other restaurants followed suit, I began to avoid those that allowed smoking. If we get to NC and there is still smoking allowed in some restaurants, I will do the same.

I'm not telling smokers they can't smoke. I'm just choosing NOT to be around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary