Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
More than he has seen previously. Obviously there are more in the south than Boston/San Fran as it is a southern symbol. I see a lot more now than when I moved here 3 years ago and while I may be speaking more about Johnstonn County/Clayton I have seen them in Cary. Perhaps I am more senstive to noticing them.
More sensitive? Not more sensitive than I am if that's what you meant. My family is a "poster family" of diversity. I would most definitely notice Confederate flags. But I haven't been to Johnson County very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM

393 posts, read 652,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
You should have no problem.

I date a white guy, and we don't really have much of a problem, save for a few side eyes we get from older white people when we go out to eat sometimes. But no one has said a word. Good luck, Raleigh's a nice town.

I am glad you don't have a problem. However black women with white men do have more problems than the other way around. Example:
While sitting in a community hot tub just last week with about 6 couples a white man and a black woman walked by. It was obvious they were "together" and the comments I heard from the black ladies in the hot tub was shocking to say the least. Yes racism is coming from both sides. White and Blacks. Sad but true. I am a white male but have many black male and female friends and they have told me up front that the black community as a whole do not like seeing a black woman with a white male, but for the most part could care less about black men with white women? Go figure.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
More sensitive? Not more sensitive than I am if that's what you meant. My family is a "poster family" of diversity. I would most definitely notice Confederate flags. But I haven't been to Johnson County very much.
There is no objective way for us to determine who is most sensitive. I do suspect I see more pickup trucks and older small vehicles with younger people in them. For some reason the old stickers and plates love to attach themselves to those cars. I easily see at least one per day 9 out of times I am out driving. Where I see them is consistant and where I don't see them is consistant. I am not the only one who sees the uptick in.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
I am glad you don't have a problem. However black women with white men do have more problems than the other way around. Example:
While sitting in a community hot tub just last week with about 6 couples a white man and a black woman walked by. It was obvious they were "together" and the comments I heard from the black ladies in the hot tub was shocking to say the least. Yes racism is coming from both sides. White and Blacks. Sad but true. I am a white male but have many black male and female friends and they have told me up front that the black community as a whole do not like seeing a black woman with a white male, but for the most part could care less about black men with white women? Go figure.
That discussion is a whole thread in another forum. One is older and folks have gotten more use to and the other is a becoming more frequent occurence with a lot of ramifications associated with it.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:04 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
I don't doubt you. (And I'm sure we're both equally sensitive. )

It's sad to hear that there's an uptick. Should be a downtick.

Maybe because of the down economy, people from more rural, smaller towns are moving here (relatively bigger cities) in search of the (few) jobs here?

Let's hope their display of the flag means they are simply interested in remembering and not glorifying the sadder era of related American history. Uh-huh.

Quote:

There is no objective way for us to determine who is most sensitive. I do suspect I see more pickup trucks and older small vehicles with younger people in them. For some reason the old stickers and plates love to attach themselves to those cars. I easily see at least one per day 9 out of times I am out driving. Where I see them is consistant and where I don't see them is consistant. I am not the only one who sees the uptick in.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't doubt you. (And I'm sure we're both equally sensitive. )

It's sad to hear that there's an uptick. Should be a downtick.

Maybe because of the down economy, people from more rural, smaller towns are moving here (relatively bigger cities) in search of the (few) jobs here?

Let's hope their display of the flag means they are simply interested in remembering and not glorifying the sadder era of related American history. Uh-huh.
In Johnston it is the old timers not happy about a world leaving them behind and seeing others moving in who are in lock step with the current world. Remember NC has a 30% drop out rate and that is a lot of people who have put themselves behind the eight ball. It is interesting to hear White transplants discuss how they don't feel comfortable in parts of the county. I have had discussions with a few home improvement sorts who feel threatened in some parts of the county but locals have a strong resentment towards them because they are taking business. Those in the construction trade have taken a big hit. You have people who really believe what they read in political forums ,public comments along with certain radio and tv shows and when confronted with just the opposite have problems. Which brings us back to the topic of this thread. There are those who throw a wall up with their families saying not in my family just because of what they see around them.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 PM

527 posts, read 686,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb72 View Post
Same here Caarmour....One question though. Do the waitstaff always ask you guys 1.) are you together? 2.) is this on one check? This is always annoying to us because we have our daughter with us and it is like we found my husband in the parking lot or something.
Yes, we get that every once in a while, but usually we go to "our places" so the waitstaff knows us pretty well, so they know one check and generally don't ask us obvious questions. It'll usually happen at a new place we're trying out or anywhere there are older folks. They'll have to get used to it though, a lot has changed since even 10-20 years ago.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:54 PM

527 posts, read 686,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
I have to disagree and say just from experiences over the span of my life, most of the negative stuff I've heard in the past has been with white women and black men. As a black woman, I've heard more negativity toward this combination on the whole than the other way, just because my combo (me black, him white) just isn't that common. Not to say your experience didn't occur, I'm sure it did, but to me, that sort of reaction has been more isolated.

Luckily in the last few years, a lot of that negativity has died down. Doesn't mean it's completely gone, but it's gotten a lot better. Yes, OP, you'll get a few stares, and maybe the ignorant comment now and again, but it shouldn't deter you from moving here. Raleigh's really cool, especially for a young couple. Please come and enjoy!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Yes, we get that every once in a while, but usually we go to "our places" so the waitstaff knows us pretty well, so they know one check and generally don't ask us obvious questions. It'll usually happen at a new place we're trying out or anywhere there are older folks. They'll have to get used to it though, a lot has changed since even 10-20 years ago.
Age plays a major role. Folks in their 60's and up grew up in the 40's, 50's and or 60's. The Raleigh of then is very different from the Raleigh of today and it is difficult for some to understand that other areas were not like here and minorities had integrated schools along with good educations and job opportunities and are now affluent and successful. Perhaps more so then them.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 PM

16 posts, read 38,074 times
Default No worries

Quote:
Depending on where in the Triangle get ready for more pickup trucks and Confederate flags. Not that it means anything.
That's an odd statement from Tuborg, I don't agree with it at all. It makes me wonder if Tuborg even lives in the Triangle..

Inter-racial marriage in Raleigh and Durham is a NOT ISSUE. I am a white male who has been married to an african-american female for 10 years, living in Raleigh, and we have met so many good people here!

NC is still a conservative state (more than I'd like it to be), but Raleigh and especially Durham are very tolerant places to live.

YOU CAN BE SURE TO PUT THOSE CONCERNS TO REST. C'MON DOWN!

Last edited by EmotionDetector; 10-01-2011 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary