U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2007, 09:41 PM
 
331 posts, read 1,451,803 times
Reputation: 178

Advertisements

I was looking for a place to relocate in NC. My primary concerns were safety and employment opportunities, so it appeared that Cary would fit me best.

Can anyone please advice me if it's reasonable to expect to find a fair selection of 1400-1700sq.ft, 3bed/2bath, newer(1992-2004) homes with fenced yard and no HOA, in a safe and easily accessible neighborhood for somewhere around $180K-215K?

Also, I've read that the city has quite a few restrictions. I'm an eager vegetable gardener. So, no matter how small the yard will be, I would obviously love to have a garden in place of grass in the yard. Would this interfere with any municipal codes? Do I need approval for this? And would a typical Cary-ite dislike this type of a development on a new neighbor's property?
Another concern I have is about planting trees. If at all possible, I would like to plant a few fruit trees(the ones that bear real size fruit, not the usual decorative stuff) in the yard or in front of the house. Do I need any approval/permit from the city for that?

By the way, I keep reading about some "minor" differences between the "natives" and the "yanks". I'm wondering if someone would get any "extra treatment" from either of the groups, if he happened to speak with a slight eastern-European accent, regardless that he's proficient in either party's grammatical variations

Thanks in advance for replying!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
37,076 posts, read 64,448,972 times
Reputation: 37140
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
I was looking for a place to relocate in NC. My primary concerns were safety and employment opportunities, so it appeared that Cary would fit me best.

Can anyone please advice me if it's reasonable to expect to find a fair selection of 1400-1700sq.ft, 3bed/2bath, newer(1992-2004) homes with fenced yard and no HOA, in a safe and easily accessible neighborhood for somewhere around $180K-215K?

Also, I've read that the city has quite a few restrictions. I'm an eager vegetable gardener. So, no matter how small the yard will be, I would obviously love to have a garden in place of grass in the yard. Would this interfere with any municipal codes? Do I need approval for this? And would a typical Cary-ite dislike this type of a development on a new neighbor's property?
Another concern I have is about planting trees. If at all possible, I would like to plant a few fruit trees(the ones that bear real size fruit, not the usual decorative stuff) in the yard or in front of the house. Do I need any approval/permit from the city for that?

By the way, I keep reading about some "minor" differences between the "natives" and the "yanks". I'm wondering if someone would get any "extra treatment" from either of the groups, if he happened to speak with a slight eastern-European accent, regardless that he's proficient in either party's grammatical variations

Thanks in advance for replying!

1. The price point is a little tight, but doable.

2. You can garden, and plant an orchard. It would behoove you to know if there were restrictions prior to making an offer on a property, but there are plenty of areas where you can garden. The Town of Cary would not care if you planted the whole property in bell peppers and tomatoes. It is the HomeOwners' Associations (HOA's) you will need to consider.

3. Don't worry about the Southerner/Yank thing. It is mostly beer talk, a staple of the internet. But if you are rude and offensive and obtuse and overbearing about how you left heaven on earth to come to this den of squalor and villainy, you will not be well received by much of anyone.

4. Have fun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
 
70 posts, read 238,686 times
Reputation: 28
Only newer neighborhood that I can think of in that price range is Park Village. It's located on Davis Drive. Park Village Neighborhood - Cary, NC. It has an HOA, and I think a newer neighborhood without one will be hard to find in Cary.

As far as the gardening goes, I think Cary just has an exaggerated restrictive reputation in these forums. You should have no problem with the vegetable garden as long as it's out of view (in the backyard), but it does depend on the HOA rules. My subdivision has a rule that it must be at least ten feet from the property line.

Planting a tree in front should also not be a problem, but of course, it's always courteous to check with neighbors.

Looking through the listings, most of the homes in that price range are a little older. Park Village I think is your best bet.
Cary, NC Homes, Real Estate, Condominiums & More - REALTOR.com

Best of luck in your search!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
37,076 posts, read 64,448,972 times
Reputation: 37140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycorc View Post
Only newer neighborhood that I can think of in that price range is Park Village. It's located on Davis Drive. Park Village Neighborhood - Cary, NC. It has an HOA, and I think a newer neighborhood without one will be hard to find in Cary.

As far as the gardening goes, I think Cary just has an exaggerated restrictive reputation in these forums. You should have no problem with the vegetable garden as long as it's out of view (in the backyard), but it does depend on the HOA rules. My subdivision has a rule that it must be at least ten feet from the property line.

Planting a tree in front should also not be a problem, but of course, it's always courteous to check with neighbors.

Looking through the listings, most of the homes in that price range are a little older. Park Village I think is your best bet.
Cary, NC Homes, Real Estate, Condominiums & More - REALTOR.com

Best of luck in your search!
There are a LOT of options besides Park Village.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
8,269 posts, read 23,323,462 times
Reputation: 5568
If you live in NON HOA neighborhood, garden to heart's content will not be a problem. You can plant whatever you want, wherever you want. The only planting ordinances I know of in Cary is that any tree you plant can't block the view of bus drivers. My brother had to rip out a very large bush from his front yard when he moved in because a school bus driver said she could not see around it and felt that it was compromising child safety. I guess they sent someone from the town out to look at it and they agreed, so he took it out.
My neighborhood is within your price range but it's older (1970's) and near downtown Cary. Houses are approx 1400-2000 sq ft. You can send me a PM for more info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM
 
2,944 posts, read 6,793,083 times
Reputation: 2805
I also wouldn't fret the HOA thing if you are looking at neighborhoods built in the 1990s. By now these neighborhoods are quite well established and you should be able to get a sense for if the mentality of the neighborhood bothers you or not. For most in that price range, unless you are keeping a boat/rv in your driveway or painting your house pink, you aren't going to have any issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 AM
 
70 posts, read 238,686 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are a LOT of options besides Park Village.
Yes there are, but out of them, Park Village is the most well known and established that I've heard of.

Which subdivisions would you recommend?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
37,076 posts, read 64,448,972 times
Reputation: 37140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycorc View Post
Yes there are, but out of them, Park Village is the most well known and established that I've heard of.

Which subdivisions would you recommend?
I think one shops the price opportunity and looks for a home that fits, then reviews the subdivision. We are talking about buying at the lower end of the price scale, and there aren't always a lot in inventory.

There is opportunity currently in Carousel Park, and also in Park Grove(Morrisville, though.)
Neither has an HOA, to my knowledge. Park Village does.

And if an HOA is brought into the mix, then one might consider one in Brookgreen Forest. But that house is under contract and "Taking Backups."

And of course, the OP's tentative situation brings Apex and Morrisville into play, just as part of the educational process. OP stressed safety and employment opportunities. Mo'ville feels pretty calm to me, and the RTP is right there...

In any of the three towns above, good stuff in the OP's target price pops up, but one must be ready to BUY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 AM
 
4,607 posts, read 7,196,669 times
Reputation: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I also wouldn't fret the HOA thing if you are looking at neighborhoods built in the 1990s. By now these neighborhoods are quite well established and you should be able to get a sense for if the mentality of the neighborhood bothers you or not. For most in that price range, unless you are keeping a boat/rv in your driveway or painting your house pink, you aren't going to have any issues.
Excellent point that does not get much limelight,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top