Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmemk View Post
Thank you all! This is such helpful information! We have a lot to think about, but I think we now have a better understanding of how my husband can get into the IT industry!
It sounds like you / he are not talking to people with many years exp. in this field. This is an old ploy, get the biggest certs and make lots of money. doesnt that sound like a sales pitch to you? CCIE is Ok if you have yrs of exp to along with it and it is specifc to a certain part of the IT field, one of which he doesnt know if he likes because he has never done it. MSCE can be more easily applied but again need some exp.

Certs were very good to have yrs ago. Now everyone got keen to people going to classes geard towards just passing the test and then getting a job but being ineffective. So this drove the value down. Exp. is what matters now. I suggest getting some entry level certs and then gaining exp. Then the certs wont matter later on.

Now as far as the career itself, you will not make anything close to an attorney for years so getting a cert and making 6 figures in 2 yrs is just a lie.
Second the hours can mimmick being an attorney but this depends on the company and what you do. Anyone involved with networking will have a cell phone that can be expected to be anwsered ALL THE TIME. And this is a salaried position so no OT. Also look into the fact that this industry is only losing jobs because of outsorcing.

If you list what most bothers him about being an attorney then I can comment more.

Grass is not always greener.
I have been in IT for over 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,437 times
I for one love IT, been in it for 20 yrs, and wouldn't do anything else. I've been able to work for all kinds of companies, from software to fast food. Some companies will burn you out, but not all.

I did my MCSE over 10 yrs ago, and have no interest or reason to renew it. It helped me get some big raises then, but those days are over. Nowadays, I just look at it as rounding out your overall experience.

One cert to consider might be a PMP...Project management professional. I see lots of postings for them. I think you can apply other job experience to getting the certification. If he had a few yrs of IT experience and a PMP, that might be a way to get in. Checkout PMI.org.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,116 times
The say "location, location, location" in real state can be translated to "experience, experience, experience" in the IT industry. Without experience, everything else matters very little and you will likely get an entry level job with a very low salary, regardless of degrees, certificates and all that. And on the other hand if you have extensive and solid experience you WILL get a great job with a great salary EVEN if you don't have any of these certificates or a masters degree.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 AM

88 posts, read 401,789 times
DH's uncle is CCIE certified and DH is currently studying for it. He's got several other certs, though I forget what they all are, lol.
It's a HARD test. DH's previous manager has taken it FIVE times in her ten years at the company and has yet to pass. And ditto the experience... unless there's application, it's not worth much.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,241 times
Default MCSE, CCIE , CCNP or CCNA plays like a magic stick to change a career?

Hi to All experts There! ! !!

Please tell me that if i want to switch to Networking Field and rush towards the job market with only MCSE, CCNA Certification , will it going to work?
I do know about computers, softwares, databases, programming like that, but what would be the appropriate pathway to join this field.

To be very true , i wish i could find the job in Middle east in the Networking field with MCSE, CCNP or such certifications. But my last 4 years experience is in Software house as a Billin analyst.

Please guide, suggest or anything that will not de-track me & save my time

Thank You so much . Please consider my query

Old 11-30-2008, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Hi yall,
I'm in the same predicament like Farooq_ahmed so what is the best way to gain exp and do not struugle for money also any help would be greatful.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 AM

563 posts, read 955,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhalc View Post
One cert to consider might be a PMP...Project management professional. I see lots of postings for them. I think you can apply other job experience to getting the certification. If he had a few yrs of IT experience and a PMP, that might be a way to get in. Checkout PMI.org.
The PMP certification is not an entry level certification either and requires thousands of hours of Project Management experience.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,302 times
Default He can do it

wel coz he doesnt v any experience it computers he has to begin with the basics.I recomend A+ for hardwares technician which takes 1 month when fully commited,then N+ for networking introduction both from Comptia.from there he can go to CCNA ,MCP .MCSE .CCNP,CCIE by then he will be already making the money.
CCNA takes 60 days
MCSE takes minimum of 7 months coz of the exams involved.
CCNP -will take 2 months
CCIE-U v to gain enough experience for the lab i reccomend 12 months after taking written exams.coz its crucial but pays.
The last thing make sure he wants to do this coz its a challenging experience once you begin.
for more info e mail [EMAIL="chalyton@gmail.com"]chalyton@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Old 04-24-2009, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,302 times
if you have some computer concepts u can do it with MCSE and CCNP but i recomend you begin with CCNA,MCSE then CCNP trust me employers will be looking 4 u!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM

5,742 posts, read 17,592,639 times
Good thing computer programmers don't need to be good spellers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary