Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 49,712 times

Advertisements

We relocated to Sanford, NC about a year ago and have been renting as we get to know the different areas. Sanford has turned out to work really well for us as I work in Raleigh and my husband in Fayetteville. We've decided to buy a house in the area but we're first time home buyers and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. There are several real estate agents we've come across that seem ok - but to tell you the truth, I don't see much difference in what they can offer. Does anyone have any tips for choosing an agent and/or recommendations for a particularly good real estate agent in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 06:03 PM

136 posts, read 589,773 times
No recommendations unfortunately. I am not recommending it but I will put it out there that I looked at homegain.com at one point to assist me in my agent search. I did not go with them because I decided to give someone else a try.

I do have advice...ask around at your job to find out if anyone has any recommendations. Interview several agents before deciding on one to get a feel for their personalities. Make sure that you check out the agent's references before you decide to work with them. Make sure that the references are not family or a friend of a friend. If the agent recommends that you sign a buyer agent agreement don't rush. I you do sign don't sign for a long period of time. A long time period is not required you could sign for a day only if you like just to give them a trial run to see if you will like working with them or not. make sure that you can terminate the agreement at any time before you sign.

Good luck!!!! Try to relax and not stress everything will be fine.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 PM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_info View Post
No recommendations unfortunately. I am not recommending it but I will put it out there that I looked at homegain.com at one point to assist me in my agent search. I did not go with them because I decided to give someone else a try.

I do have advice...ask around at your job to find out if anyone has any recommendations. Interview several agents before deciding on one to get a feel for their personalities. Make sure that you check out the agent's references before you decide to work with them. Make sure that the references are not family or a friend of a friend. If the agent recommends that you sign a buyer agent agreement don't rush. I you do sign don't sign for a long period of time. A long time period is not required you could sign for a day only if you like just to give them a trial run to see if you will like working with them or not. make sure that you can terminate the agreement at any time before you sign.

Good luck!!!! Try to relax and not stress everything will be fine.
Isn't it a little silly to request a one day agreement with the right to terminate at any time?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 PM

9 posts, read 47,835 times
Default Sanford first time home buyer

Sanford is a great small town. I wish we had rented for a few months when we moved here - we bought a house before we got to know the area. Since neither of you work in Sanford it will be difficult to get a referral from someone you work with. You could try looking on the internet at different agent websites to see if any of the ones you come across appeal to you.

I agree with ms_info that you should not be rushed into anything. You need to be comfortable with whoever you work with. Asking for a right to terminate the buyer's agreement is a good idea as well.

Don't let yourself feel overwhelmed - buying a home is a great investment and your piece of the American Dream. Take it slow and make sure you are comfortable with your decisions and you should do fine.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,971 times
Do you have any general ideas of where you'd like to live in Sanford, or what type of housing or community? That can also help identify an agent that would be a good fit for your needs.

One suggestion would be to identify if there are certain neighborhoods or types of communities(i.e. gated, golf, historic, rural/farm, etc) then perhaps ask around for a Realtor that may have specific experience buying/selling in those neighborhoods.

If you are interested in Historic properties, you might consider posting this question to Sanford's Historic Neighborhood Yahoo Group:

historic-sanford-nc : Historic Sanford North Carolina

As you may already know, Sanford has four National Register Historic Districts, three of which are residential: Hawkins Avenue, Lee Avenue, and Rosemount McIver Park

Houses in these districts are eligible for historic preservation tax *credits*(not just deductions, actual credits) of 30% from your NC state income tax on projects over $25k. If one is interested in older homes, this is a deal that really can't be had for any other type of home, and is a huge advantage.

Here is some more info on Sanford's historic districts:

Historic Preservation, Planning & Development (http://www.sanfordnc.net/Planning/historic_preservation.htm - broken link)

Here is some more info on historic tax credits:

Historic Preservation Tax Credits in North Carolina

I hope all of that is helpful, and good luck on your search! Sanford may not be a huge metropolis, but we do have a similar variety of home/community types that the larger cities have, so I suspect you can find something to fit your needs.

Al

P.S.

BTW, if you aren't aware, don't miss the chance to see the "Lee County Second Century" project presentation and community party this Thursday, October 2nd at Depot Park from 7pm to 9pm. This is a new marketing effort for Lee County and Sanford, that will include a new logo, motto, and marketing plans to promote Sanford and Lee County externally. It is very exciting.

More info on the project and community party can be found here:

Sunday Column: Why the 2nd Century Project Matters to Business « Chamber Chat

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 10-01-2008 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary