Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 AM

43 posts, read 142,125 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if they have turned colors yet? Or when is generally the best time to see them? (I went too late last year)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
I go through Duke Gardens pretty frequently, and I haven't observed any appreciable "fall color" on the Japanese maples there (or anywhere else in the Triangle) quite yet. When the best time to see them is can vary enormously, depending on the weather, on the microclimate site conditions in any given location, and also on the particular variety or cultivar of any one Japanese maple, but it seems to me like peak color on them in central North Carolina can be anywhere from about the middle of October to the middle of November. Average in recent years has been about the first week of November, in my experience, but that's by no means set in stone and can be significantly earlier or later depending on the factors mentioned above.

Let's all keep an eye out for leaf color developments over the next few weeks, and let each other know when the best viewing may occur.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM

43 posts, read 142,125 times
Thanks tompope! And fall foliage updates are a great idea - saw some beautiful color on the way to Creedmoor from Raleigh last year.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:10 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
I will be going by there Fri 14th Oct. If you like, you can DM me Thur night as a reminder and I'll ck for you.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 PM

FWIW, on the autumn leaves front, I noticed today that the zelkovas in the parking lot islands at Cary Towne Center Mall were beginning to turn on their outer branches, especially the ones on the south side of the mall (the side with Dillard's, Macy's, and Sears). I always think that zelkovas are one of the most underrated and unheralded trees for fall color in this part of the country, turning a consistent deep, radiant orange for a solid couple of weeks every October and/or November. The recent spate of cool nighttime temps in the 40's I'm sure is promoting relatively early coloring on a lot of plants. I've noticed some red maples, sugar maples, dogwoods, and a few others beginning to turn, which is a couple of weeks earlier than they have in most years lately. I still haven't seen any Japanese maples showing any noticeable fall color yet, though; the green-leaved varieties in my neighborhood are still green, while the red-leaved varieties are still that muddy purple-bronze-green color that they age to after mid-summer. No sign of that incredible electric scarlet yet, but I'm still lookin'.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Also, not to be too Cary-focused (I don't even live there), but I did notice this morning that the red maples along Caitboo drive in the Crossroads development there were starting to color-up and look really good. I always think their fall foliage looks like the color of a really, really, really bad sunburn. But it's a lot more charming than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary