Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 AM

169 posts, read 574,778 times

Advertisements

We would like a family picture taken so that we can give it to parents/grandparents for Christmas. We can afford more than Wal-Mart and Target, but can't spend a fortune. We would prefer a place in Durham, but might be willing to drive across the triangle for the right photographer. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,857 times
I heard good things about Portrait Innovations in Cary. They have one in Durham (South Point). They have $9.95 with no sitting fees package. See the link below:
Portrait Innovations (http://holiday.portraitinnovations.com/promotion.php?referrer=GS&utm_source=B&utm_medium= PPC&utm_term=portrait%20innovations&utm_campaign=G S - broken link)

Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM

181 posts, read 387,369 times
Portrait Innovations is good and we use them as well. Like any photgrapher they count on you spending alot more than the special (i.e. $9.95) after you look at all of your pics and can't decide which if any you want to drop from the overall package. We were there recently and spent more than we planned. But all in all there were no regrets.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:59 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
For my MIL's milestone birthday, I posted an ad on Craigslist for a student photographer so that I would get all of the photos on CD and order what I wanted from WalMart, Snapfish, etc. I saved a ton of money using a student and ended up with nicer portraits than a Target or Sears "studio". You can also get more creative with location; we went to a park.

I can message you his name and email if you are interested. I paid about $60 with tip for an hour and a half at a local park for my MIL's birthday. The WalMart prints were less than $5 and I got some cheap frames and mats there too.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 AM

Thanks for letting me know about Portrait Innovations - I had not heard of them before.

Yellowbelle - I really like the idea of the student photographer. Being in an outdoor setting would reflect our family's personality better than a studio and the price is reasonable for us. Would you please DM me the contact info for the student photographer that you used? Thanks!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
I've seen several photographers offering mini sessions for this type of thing. Most have predetermined days at say a park and you just sign up for time.

I know Renee Sprink is - Renee Sprink Photography | Lifestyle Portrait and Wedding Photography, Raleigh, NC
Nicole Faby mentioned it on her facebook - Nicole Faby Photography » North Carolina Children, Family, and Wedding Photographer

I've seen more but can't think of their names, you could probably google Durham Photographer mini sessions and get more results.

Last edited by ncsualum2004; 10-09-2011 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-09-2011, 05:46 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,252 times
If you're okay with Target/Walmart type photos and service, then Portrait Innovations will be right up your alley. Otherwise, it will drive you crazy that you'll wait 30-60 minutes even if you have an appointment, get Target/Walmart quality pictures and poses, and have Christmas cards with the same background as half the other people in Raleigh (pardon the statistical exaggeration). Obviously not my favorite place. For similar money you can get much better quality photos, a professional and custom shoot (with happy kids because they haven't been waiting forever for the appointment only to be rushed through), and get to own the rights to the shots so that you can reprint as much as you want/need. My recommendation would be to go with an independent, local photography company. I'm in JoCo and can recommend a few that we've loved, but unfortunately haven't tried anyone in Wake. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,857 times
I like Picture People too

Old 10-09-2011, 08:12 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear3 View Post
We would like a family picture taken so that we can give it to parents/grandparents for Christmas. We can afford more than Wal-Mart and Target, but can't spend a fortune. We would prefer a place in Durham, but might be willing to drive across the triangle for the right photographer. Any recommendations?
We have used Melissa Hayes with Double Exposure Photography before. She took our family at Duke Gardens twice, and will get our kids again next month for Christmas cards. What I like about her is that she seems to get us in poses that look natural, not too "staged" but still orderly. Double Exposure Photography | Adults Gallery If you go to this link--our family is the HUGE group on the stone steps--it was a nasty rainy day at Duke Gardens but she made us look ok. There's another one of just the grandkids under the "children" tab.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks to everyone for all of the information. This is incredibly helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary