Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times

Advertisements

I don't know if they'll be doing it this year, but a couple of years ago I did the chocolate covered bacon. I definately reccomend at least trying it just so you can tell people..."yeah...I ate chocolate covered bacon once..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times
evveerrrryyyythiiinnnggg!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
While I've been to the State Fair many times, I rarely eat any of the food there. It just doesn't appeal to me.
What?! Neese's LIVER pudding doesn't appeal to you? What's WRONG with you???

(Until I read it in the earlier post, I didn't know there was liver pudding at the fair. Blecch.)

Every year, I enjoy the corn, ice cream, and French fries -- and they're all gluten-free.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,470 times
Love the fried cheese from the stand that only sells fried cheese (big cheese wedge on top of the stand).

We always get free hushpuppies from the Grist Mill, or inside the display building if the mill is closed. Then we go buy about a dozen from the place that sells home-style cooking right outside the building (tented dining tables). We've gotten Al's french fries most years, but since I can get similar fries from Margaret's Cantina and Mardi Gras bowling alley, it's not the treat it once seemed. Still love them, though. Maple cotton candy and an elephant ear complete the visit.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,470 times
Oh yeah! deep fried pickle spears!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 AM

258 posts, read 673,020 times
We usually eat first and then go to the fair full....stop at a restaurant for big breakfast or something...It really helps on the wallet when you go in.

Then we'll snack on all the various free samples...buy a funnel cake or something. The Jaycees and the FFA booth, Kiwana's and a few others sell sodas for $1 and I'd rather support local groups than the traveling midway concessions at $9 a sausage sandwich or $10 turkey leg.

Plus there is a yearly competition with my mom in Syracuse NY. During the Fair we both wander the fair and try and get as much "stuff" as possible like the pencils, keychains, stickers, plastic bags and a Greg Fischel Mask last year (I won)....then it gets boxed up and shipped to her, she ships her box to me and we judge on who sent who the most crap, and what piece holds the most ridiculous award for the year...lol

sorry I digress on that one, but its a lot of fun trying to out do my mom and her NY state fair.

As far as the OP's question hands down is the honey cotten candy in the building where the state trooper chopper is parked (thats my favorite exhibit btw)

Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times
We skipped the fair last year so this will be our first year going as vegetarians. Should be interesting to say the least considering we used to eat from one end to the other.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 AM

240 posts, read 627,765 times
[quote=lovebrentwood;21215742]What?! Neese's LIVER pudding doesn't appeal to you? What's WRONG with you???

(Until I read it in the earlier post, I didn't know there was liver pudding at the fair. Blecch.)

Come on Brentwood, that's just sacrilegious! Liver pudding or liver mush, depending on what part of NC you are from is a fine southern delicacy. I know people in CA and Indy that have bricks of it frozen here and shipped to them since they can't buy it in more "refined" shopping establishments across the country. I too didn't know Neese's was at the State Fair but I am going during the week this year and I plan on taking my time and enjoying my walk/graze around the grounds.

I myself look forward to a great kielbasa with onions/peppers, roasted corn, funnel cake, and something dreamt up by Dom Delouise (sp?) like fried banana pudding or chocolate bacon!

Last edited by Wraunch; 10-11-2011 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: for fun

Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
I always eat the roasted corn and funnel cakes and buy peanuts to take home. I also usually eat a foot long hot dog as well.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
I almost forgot about the fudge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary