U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,328,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I have always practiced leaving the thermostat set at one temperature, not putting it up and down, if you leave it at a constant, you should save energy. If you raise it than lower it, the system will work harder to keep regulating back and forth for the temperature. I leave all blinds closed during the day. I switched all lamps over to the energy star bulbs as well as any open fixture, they have more styles of these bulbs, finally, in the past they were just those swirly ice cream cone looking ones...but now they come in shapes and sizes of traditional light bulbs. I am sure you can check out websites like hgtv, diy, or just google your specific question. I hope this helps.
Yup these are your givens, with the blinds , ceiling fans etc., very true. I was not specifically giving info for someone to do as far as the temp changes. Our temp changes are slight and for a small amount of time anyway and is not going to have a drastic damaging effect on making the system work harder. We like to be comfy at certain times and in certain areas. And this is what we found works for us,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM

1,936 posts, read 7,435,413 times
$178. last month with thermostats set at 76 downstairs and 77 upstairs in a 3300 sq ' home. We do turn the downstairs thermo up at night to 78. This is with no window coverings. We are a family of 5 so this also includes XBOX being on all day, at least one TV being on all day and one lap top running all day (all into night as well) I think this is low. In CA we kept the temp set at 78/80 and our last bill before we left was $780.00 in a 3600 sq foot new construction energy efficient home. So I am dancing on the ceiling at $178!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
Default I am being ROBBED ON MY POWER BILL

I have a 800 square foot apartment with a roomate. We are both never here keep the AC up to 80 while we are away. My place is coverd by trees stays cool with no AC on anyway. I have been here for one month and my bill was $170 dollars. This is not with any new service charge. This is crazy, i have already had the ac serviced weeks ago. Any advice?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 PM

709 posts, read 830,320 times
190 dollars 2700 square foot new home all electric dryer and cooking .Gas for the hot water. Two zone ac 79 up 76 downstairs.

This is nothing compared to the bills in cooler New Jersey. The electric rates here are much lower thank the Nuke plant for that 9.045 KWH compared to almost 14KWH in NJ!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:49 PM

579 posts, read 2,760,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twetzel83 View Post
I have a 800 square foot apartment with a roomate. We are both never here keep the AC up to 80 while we are away. My place is coverd by trees stays cool with no AC on anyway. I have been here for one month and my bill was $170 dollars. This is not with any new service charge. This is crazy, i have already had the ac serviced weeks ago. Any advice?
That does seem high! In our 1200 sq ft apartment our highest AC bill ever was $110. We usually keep the thermostat set at 75. It might just be a terribly insulated apartment but it definitely sounds to me like something is wrong. Hope you find out what it is soon!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 25,867,993 times
See if your A/C compressor seems to be running steadily all day.

Might not be properly charged. Who serviced it? Are they good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary