Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:27 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times

Advertisements

I really hate how people don't signal here, and I hate when they go into turning medians but can't pull their car all the way in or wait until the last minute to go in. Why not get in then slow down so you have more time to turn instead of overshooting the turn.

I also find it funny when people go toward left turns at traffic lights and they don't stop on the line. They go way past it or they stay 10-15' feet away from it and then they don't understand why the light didn't turn green for them. How are you going to trigger the sensor when you don't stop where you are supposed to? I've seen some with no people behind them sit there and wait for 2-3 light cycles, w/o thinking to move for a couple cycles. So hilarious!! Some people are idiots.

For what its worth, I've lived here all my life. I've only noticed these things recently though. So who knows?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:04 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Exclamation Ahhhh!

I don't usually use this term but - OM-Frickin'-G!!! People, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE turn your lights on when it's raining! On my way home from work just now I saw almost five accidents happen right in front of me, mainly because people did not have their lights on in the rain. On top of that, they weren't using directional signals. The saddest part is that my commute is a grand total of 5 miles in basically a straight line.

NEWSFLASH: when precipitation is falling from the sky it reduces visibility considerably!! It is especially difficult to see white and silver cars, two very common colors. Lights help other people see YOU! DRL's are not enough because they do not light up the taillights.

Not to mention NC is one of many states that has a "wipers on, lights on" rule (NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 4 <--note the text in red under "Rain"). Please pass this info on to everyone you know, since I know all C-D posters are responsible drivers . We will all be safer for it! I wish I could put a sign on my car every time it rains to remind people that others may not see them if their lights aren't on.

I used to think that this type of brain-dead behavior only occurred on en masse in places like FL, home to the city ranked #1 for rudest drivers and road rage (not to mention all the elderly and tourist drivers there). However, I now know that it is a serious malady afflicting many other states as well.

Personally, I wouldn't complain if everyone were required to retake the driving test to renew their license at least every 10 years. It's easy to forget some of the important but subtle things about driving over time (such as lights on when wipers are on). I bet there would be many people who think they are great drivers that wouldn't pass, but I think it's a good way to make sure everyone is aware of the rules throughout our driving careers. Remember, driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM

161 posts, read 683,231 times
I must add that people around here don't like to merge or allow you the lane changing privilege. That may explain why no one signals because if they do those around will speed up or slow down in order to keep them in the wrong lane.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 PM

13 posts, read 42,084 times
Default That totally happened to me you are right.

Of the 20 years I drove in California I never have witnessed this behavior but it happened to me here in North Carolina too. I was on the freeway and someone did just that - jammed on the breaks - but this guy BACKED UP - to make his missed exit. What the heckare people thinking when they do this????? It made me have to jam on my breaks and a big slab of granite I had just purchased hit the back of my seat. I have been having hip pain ever since and this happened in October. I thought it was an anomaly but I guess you've seen it too.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 18,195 times
Cool Driving practices reflect social behavior.......

..... don't you think that all this 'bad' driving reflects the social breakdown of our society.
People are unable to work together, want their own way, unable to tolerate others, do what they alone want without regard for consequnces.
Is this a reflection of being spoilt / taught this way as a child and now we see the habits carried through to adult age?

On a lighter nore: The driving behaviour that amuses me is the way Packs of vehicles travel along freeways, even if there is little traffic, everyone jostling and hustling for position. Whats with that ? Is this from watching NASCAR or is it a carry over from town driving where traffic lights force vehicles to cluster up. Or is it because its easier to drive by following someone else along the road therefore removing the need to think (and maybe explaining those last moment brakeslams & manouvers to make an Exit).

I think the last moment manouvers are an inability to anticipate: try driving along I40 at the speed limit (if you dare) Notice that even if the road is empty a vehicle coming up behind comes charging up and makes a last moment twist into the next lane, whatever happened to looking ahead and controllably merging over to the next lane. No wonder the incidence of roll overs is increasing.

But consider driving as an evolution of mankind, eventually those bad drivers will wreck and die (hopefully without taking out the innocent). Or preferably stress out and die when not behind a wheel. After all, they are never going to change their habits to please the remainder of us.

Last edited by jp410cpd; 04-03-2008 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: grammar changes by author

Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
I couldn't agree more with this posting...I travel I-540 to and from RTP from Knightdale...I could not believe the number of vehicles without their lights on in heavy rain and driving on an interstate...what a lack of consideration! Then they will be the first to visit a lawyer if someone hit them...clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I don't usually use this term but - OM-Frickin'-G!!! People, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE turn your lights on when it's raining! On my way home from work just now I saw almost five accidents happen right in front of me, mainly because people did not have their lights on in the rain. On top of that, they weren't using directional signals. The saddest part is that my commute is a grand total of 5 miles in basically a straight line.

NEWSFLASH: when precipitation is falling from the sky it reduces visibility considerably!! It is especially difficult to see white and silver cars, two very common colors. Lights help other people see YOU! DRL's are not enough because they do not light up the taillights.

Not to mention NC is one of many states that has a "wipers on, lights on" rule (NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 4 <--note the text in red under "Rain"). Please pass this info on to everyone you know, since I know all C-D posters are responsible drivers . We will all be safer for it! I wish I could put a sign on my car every time it rains to remind people that others may not see them if their lights aren't on.

Personally, I wouldn't complain if everyone were required to retake the driving test to renew their license at least every 10 years. It's easy to forget some of the important but subtle things about driving over time (such as lights on when wipers are on). I bet there would be many people who think they are great drivers that wouldn't pass, but I think it's a good way to make sure everyone is aware of the rules throughout our driving careers. Remember, driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:57 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynt View Post
I have seen a noticeable difference when I drive in Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) I hear lots of car horns honking, either at me or someone else. I generally don't hear horns in Raleigh, Wake Forest, etc. Must be the Yankees, acting true to form. I think to myself, "go back to Boston!"
Cynt, acting true to form? I am thinking it was more you than them.

My own experience of driving in Cary is very different to yours: beeped at three times in five years. I am a cautious and courteous driver though wherever I go. I also do not notice a significant difference between the driving styles in Cary, Raleigh, Durham or any other place in the central Triangle area. Speeding, lane-weaving, tail-gating, non-signaling etc are issues throughout. There is an element of aggressive driving here but it seems to me that this behavior stands out against the norm rather than being the norm. I do not spend enough time driving in the outlying areas to comment.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:00 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I couldn't agree more with this posting...I travel I-540 to and from RTP from Knightdale...I could not believe the number of vehicles without their lights on in heavy rain and driving on an interstate...what a lack of consideration! Then they will be the first to visit a lawyer if someone hit them...clueless

There was an editorial in the Opinion section of the N&O today addressing this problem as well. Hopefully lots of people saw it!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:49 PM

47 posts, read 247,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I hate when they go into turning medians but can't pull their car all the way in or wait until the last minute to go in.
Ditto. I hate those guys. They're always blocking traffic behind them (usually with their urban assault vehicles that they're too afraid to drive), and have no idea how close they continuously come to getting hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I also find it funny when people go toward left turns at traffic lights and they don't stop on the line. They go way past it or they stay 10-15' feet away from it and then they don't understand why the light didn't turn green for them. How are you going to trigger the sensor when you don't stop where you are supposed to?
Ha! I was just thinking about this one today! This one doesn't bother me unless I'm behind those guys. It just makes me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE turn your lights on when it's raining! [...] NC is one of many states that has a "wipers on, lights on" rule (NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 4 <--note the text in red under "Rain").
Yes! Most people are under the false assumption that their headlights are for their visibility alone. Unless your car is a bright color, I can't see you without your lights on.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Default Hazard Lights and the Rain... ???

Ok, fellow Carolinians, yesterday I was driving I-40 and hit that really hard rain / storm. Visibility was limited. Everyone slowed down... some more than others. Most everyone had their lights on. But a few people had their hazards on while driving. Is this legal? What's this all about?? I get headaches pretty easily and found the flashing lights in front of me to be very annoying.... not to mention it was starting to cause my head to pound. So I just pulled off the road at an exit and waited until the rain let up. When the rain had let up, I found that some people still had their flashing hazards on. But then I was able to safely pass the "flashers" this time as it was just sprinkling.

So are hazard lights in a hard rain normal in NC? Legal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary