Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM

22 posts, read 81,983 times

Advertisements

I tread VERY carefully when I say this because I am sure it is everyone and not any one type of person in particular (ex. locals vs. transplants), but at least a dozen times while driving in Cary and on the highways around here, I have seen some crazy driving manuevers where people LITERALLY slam on their brakes, and without looking, with no blinker, and with no regard for other cars they cut across 2 or 3 or even 4 lanes of traffic because they suddenly realize they have almost missed their exit or turn. I have been here only 2 months. Call me crazy, but usually when you realize you miss your turn, you say "oh sh--!", but you keep going and turn around at the next light or exit. It happened to me last week on Cary Parkway. Someone literally slammed on their breaks in front of me, out of nowhere, because they wanted to get on 64 on the right and they were in the left lane. I almost got rearended because I had to put my brakes on so fast. On Tryon road just this morning, a woman literally cut the wheel of her car to the left so fast in an attempt to get in my lane, and was centimeters from my passenger door. I had to slam on my horn before she woke up out of her daze to even comprehend that she was about to crash into my car. I am guessing that she realized too late that her lane turned into a right turn only lane, but guess what? Tough beans honey, take the right and turn back around instead of nearly killing those around you. And this past weekend was the most ridiculous all star move. We saw a guy cut across 4, yes 4 lanes of traffic on the highway and just nearly miss hitting about 3 cars because he suddenly wanted to take that exit. I just can't beleive my eyes sometimes? What is the problem? Is it because half the people are new to the area and don't know where the heck they are going? I am from MA and we are known for having the most aggressive drivers around and some of the driving maneuvers I have seen there can not even be believed, but this isn't agressive driving, its almost absent minded driving with no awareness that you are inches from crashing into someone. In MA, the drivers know and just don't care. I am venting because whenever I am driving I am with my toddler and it pisses me off that she could be hurt because someone can't take 2 minutes to backtrack if they miss a turn. Does anyone else experience this or is it just me??? I am not exaggerating either. I see it happen almost every time I get in my car to go somewhere. I was hoping to get away from some of the stressful driving coming from MA to NC but now it just looks like I've gotten away from agressive drivers and am now dealing with just bad drivers. I don't want to be negative because I have also experienced many positive great things about the area which far outweigh this, but this morning when it happened again, I just had to vent....it may just be a result of all the new roads and widening the roads and it will just take people time to get acclimated....I just wish people would look first or at least use a blinker....

Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
You're probably correct. Many lost folks.

Cary especially frowns on signs for businesses so you pass it before you know you're there.

I always leave a good following distance.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 PM

134 posts, read 410,452 times
My comments on Triangle drivers:

1) The left lane means nothing here. You can pass on the right, on the left, whatever. Driving 10 MPH below the speed limit? No problem, just stay in the left lane! They can pass you on the right!

2) Signals? We don't need no stinkin' signals! Completely optional.

3) Take your time on those right turns. You never know how dangerous a right turn can be! Go ahead and take 45 seconds to turn right onto another street. Oh, and don't bother signaling, of course. The people behind you are not in a hurry.

4) Residential neighborhood with lots of kids playing in the streets? That means: drive very fast. Especially if you are a builder with a truckload of heavy materials.

5) If you slam on the brakes for no reason, it's not your fault if you're rear-ended. Just have good insurance, and you're covered.

6) Is it sprinkling? Drive at least 20 MPH below the speed limit. Preferably in the left lane.

--JC

Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM

213 posts, read 936,362 times
JoeChristmas, that was funny and so true!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,093 times
Default beware of CARY drivers

The first clue to the source of the problem you stated was the fact that you mentioned CARY. Everyone knows that's an acronym for CONTAINMENT AREA for Relocated Yankees. We only wish it would do a better job of CONTAINING them!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
You left out "When entering the interstate from an on ramp, come to a complete stop and make sure traffic is clear before trying to merge in"

Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You're probably correct. Many lost folks.

Cary especially frowns on signs for businesses so you pass it before you know you're there.

I always leave a good following distance.

I always try to leave a good following distance, but what really gets me is that some idiot thinks its an invitation to cut infront of me...

Old 08-22-2007, 01:46 PM

22 posts, read 81,983 times
Joe Christmas and toot68 I am laughing hysterically because I have seen these things too! The merging on the highway thing is insane. We almost got in an accident a couple of times because of that too (I almost forgot about it because I have been so focused on the last minute lane changing thing). We just didn't expect that someone would actually come to a full stop to merge onto the highway! Its dangerous for those behind the ones doing it! Like I said, I am for less aggressive driving and am by no means am I a perfect driver, but some of what I have seen is bizarre to me...

Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM

180 posts, read 662,355 times
I am laughing OUTLOUD! Cary is the containment are for all relocated Yankees! hahahah!!! I love it! And it is SO true.

My favorite type of drive down here is:

"Oh no I'm in the left lane on the interstate and I need to exit NOW so I'll jump across three lanes in one quick motion w/no blinker and cut everyone off"

Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb03 View Post
I tread VERY carefully when I say this because I am sure it is everyone and not any one type of person in particular (ex. locals vs. transplants), but at least a dozen times while driving in Cary and on the highways around here, I have seen some crazy driving manuevers where people LITERALLY slam on their brakes, and without looking, with no blinker, and with no regard for other cars they cut across 2 or 3 or even 4 lanes of traffic because they suddenly realize they have almost missed their exit or turn. I have been here only 2 months. Call me crazy, but usually when you realize you miss your turn, you say "oh sh--!", but you keep going and turn around at the next light or exit. It happened to me last week on Cary Parkway. Someone literally slammed on their breaks in front of me, out of nowhere, because they wanted to get on 64 on the right and they were in the left lane. I almost got rearended because I had to put my brakes on so fast. On Tryon road just this morning, a woman literally cut the wheel of her car to the left so fast in an attempt to get in my lane, and was centimeters from my passenger door. I had to slam on my horn before she woke up out of her daze to even comprehend that she was about to crash into my car. I am guessing that she realized too late that her lane turned into a right turn only lane, but guess what? Tough beans honey, take the right and turn back around instead of nearly killing those around you. And this past weekend was the most ridiculous all star move. We saw a guy cut across 4, yes 4 lanes of traffic on the highway and just nearly miss hitting about 3 cars because he suddenly wanted to take that exit. I just can't beleive my eyes sometimes? What is the problem? Is it because half the people are new to the area and don't know where the heck they are going? I am from MA and we are known for having the most aggressive drivers around and some of the driving maneuvers I have seen there can not even be believed, but this isn't agressive driving, its almost absent minded driving with no awareness that you are inches from crashing into someone. In MA, the drivers know and just don't care. I am venting because whenever I am driving I am with my toddler and it pisses me off that she could be hurt because someone can't take 2 minutes to backtrack if they miss a turn. Does anyone else experience this or is it just me??? I am not exaggerating either. I see it happen almost every time I get in my car to go somewhere. I was hoping to get away from some of the stressful driving coming from MA to NC but now it just looks like I've gotten away from agressive drivers and am now dealing with just bad drivers. I don't want to be negative because I have also experienced many positive great things about the area which far outweigh this, but this morning when it happened again, I just had to vent....it may just be a result of all the new roads and widening the roads and it will just take people time to get acclimated....I just wish people would look first or at least use a blinker....

I too have witnessed this sort of driving in Raleigh and Durham (mostly on 40). I understand about the need to vent especially when you have children who could be harmed!!

I too have missed my exit on several (more than I want to count) occassions. I can attribute this to:
1) Everything on the hwy looks the same, so often it does sneak up on me. There are few visible buildings etc to gauge where you are.

2) The signs here are lacking to say the least. And often times I've found that the sign is covered by over growth of a tree or bush. Drives me bonkers!!

3) I'm new and I'm just lost.

So there are probably a lot of us experiencing the above 3. BUT that does not give someone the right to drive unsafely to make an exit. I say "oh ****" and take the next exit and back track.

My 7 year old said one day "Mom, it's ok we're lost, the important thing is that we get there alive." Saged advice. Maybe I'll print it on a bumper sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary