U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2006, 07:05 AM

23 posts, read 97,320 times

Advertisements

Seriously thinking of relocating ...

Our first trip to NC will be in November - for 5 days.

When you guys speak of employers allowing "flex time"

1) Does that mean that they also allow COMPRESSED WORK WEEKS - working 4 days a week?

2) What is the standard number of hours in a work week in NC - 35 or 40 hours??

Thanks for any input!!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,797,810 times
I would assume each employer has their own definition of flex time, most often with flex time the "flexibility" is the hours you start, meaing you can start anywhere between 7 & 9 am and your start time determine you end time.

Some companies offer compressed work weeks and others don't. Just like telecommuting.

Many times these "flex" things are not offered in all positions and each companies polices widely vary.

Standard working hours also can vary- Your hours can be 8-6 with an hr for lunch for you are working 40 hrs, other 8-4, 1/2 hr, working 37 1/2 hours

Again I do not believe there is any standard anymore and you will probably find a variable on all these things depending on the company - government vs. private sector - etc. Type of job, etc.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:38 AM

23 posts, read 97,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
I would assume each employer has their own definition of flex time, most often with flex time the "flexibility" is the hours you start, meaing you can start anywhere between 7 & 9 am and your start time determine you end time.

Some companies offer compressed work weeks and others don't. Just like telecommuting.

Many times these "flex" things are not offered in all positions and each companies polices widely vary.

Standard working hours also can vary- Your hours can be 8-6 with an hr for lunch for you are working 40 hrs, other 8-4, 1/2 hr, working 37 1/2 hours

Again I do not believe there is any standard anymore and you will probably find a variable on all these things depending on the company - government vs. private sector - etc. Type of job, etc.

Thanks for the info ... I noticed on Dupont's website that they do allow flex time but there was no mention of 4 day work weeks.

I also saw on the Town of Cary's website they offer 2 weeks Vacation a year. I didn't know if that was the norm or does the private sector offer 3 weeks Vacation a year.

Is there usually a waiting period (say, 90 days) for benefits (insurance, etc.) to start?

Thanks again for the help!!

Old 09-08-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgator View Post
Thanks for the info ... I noticed on Dupont's website that they do allow flex time but there was no mention of 4 day work weeks.

I also saw on the Town of Cary's website they offer 2 weeks Vacation a year. I didn't know if that was the norm or does the private sector offer 3 weeks Vacation a year.

Is there usually a waiting period (say, 90 days) for benefits (insurance, etc.) to start?

Thanks again for the help!!
Again I think each company varies, as your position. For ex, you talk about vacation time, most companies offer 2 weeks to start but let's say you are highered at a executive level, they generally start with more vacation time. What I have learned is the higher level the job, the more is neg or more perks.

Standard jobs like most of us, are not...Usually after 5 yr or so I think most companies offer more vac.

As for ins, the company website usually tells you what starts from day one or not, again, each company has their own policies, etc.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:45 AM

Another suggestion, if you are looking to work is RTP you can go to RTP.org and they list all the companies and you can go to each company's site and they generally will have an overview of benefits, some companies are more detailed then others.

Also, government jobs usually have better benefits but less pay.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,601,567 times
I must agree that it all depend on the company, but also the "group" within the company. My spouse has worked at ibm for 9 years, and yes they have flex time, but he has never worked a 40 hour week, he generally works more. The amount of "flex" you have depends on your manager, he has had co workers work m-th, 10 hour days with their manager's approval. He does have the flexibility to work from home on days as well. They don't have sick leave, but have personal days that can be taken. I think he gets 3 weeks vacation a year (plus the few standard holidays at ibm) but the amount of leave depends on your years of service.

I believe most of the companies have flex time, and some companies are more inclined to support it! I just know for the division of IBM where my spouse has worked the philosophy is: yes to can take flex time, and yes you can only work 40 hour weeks. But, the majority of people who "move ahead" work much longer hours.

that is just my experience though, different groups within the company operate differently.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary