U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 AM

148 posts, read 645,706 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a carb issue....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 AM

2,456 posts, read 7,583,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
My Troy-Bilt lawnmower has starting trouble, and I am at my wits end trying to get it started. It takes ages to get it started and when I try again it the next week, it's the same thing all over again. I bought it in 2009, but have hardly used it maybe more than 20 times. But unfortunately it's out of warranty now, and I need to get it repaired by someone who knows his stuff.

Anyone you can recommend whom you have had experience with, who is honest and won't break the bank? I can't afford to spend a fortune to fix this - might as well save and buy a new one if that is the case.
Hard to tell from here, but, does it have one of those soft "bulbs" that you press half a dozen times to prime the carb before starting? If the bulb has a small split in it it won't pump gas to the carb, so you'll need many pulls to start. Those are an easy fix.

I believe Ace Hardware does mower/power tool basic maintenance too.

Frank

Old 01-12-2014, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,262 times
Hello,
Typically the carburetors on these engine will sometimes get clogged up from sitting during the off season,Which then they have to be removed ,taken apart,flushed and blew out with air pressure,
When stored please try to add sta-bil fuel stabilizer to keep the gas fresh and help fight moisture and the 10% Ethenol that is already in gasoline,To do this job is typically around $40.00 plus parts if needed on a self propelled or push mower.But I would first check the air filter to make sure it is free from dirt and grass,If you do not have a air hose just knock out the dirt while you have it off. A spark plug should be good for 50 hours of use,check the gas cap vent also sometimes they clog and slow down fuel flow,Another problem is people adding to much oil. which drowns out the spark and gets into carburetor, so please be careful when adding oil.When mower sits for to long adding new gas will not help because the old gas will still be in the carburetor This will have to be drained and flushed along with the fuel tank to remove the old fuel.
If anyone has any questions or needs service please visit my website at B's mower repair, In Wake Forest N.C. Near Rolesville..
Thank you! Mr. B.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,841,337 times
When I was having a pressure washer repaired a while back, the repairman told me to always use premium gas in my small engines since it doesn't contain ethanol. I've done that ever since and had much less trouble.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM

7,921 posts, read 9,677,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
When I was having a pressure washer repaired a while back, the repairman told me to always use premium gas in my small engines since it doesn't contain ethanol. I've done that ever since and had much less trouble.
Robert at Ace Hardware North Ridge told me about using premium gas only a few years back...good advice.

An old neighbor friend of mine told me many years ago to always start the season with fresh gas and oil, a new air filter and spark plug and a sharp blade. At the end of the cutting season he felt that it was important to pour out the gas but leave just enough to crank the mower and run until the engine stopped...thus clearing the lines and carb. I followed his advice all these years and never had problems starting my mowers in the Spring...knock on wood

Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,704,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candlegirl View Post
Sounds like a carb issue....
Yep.Change the oil, air filter, gas, spark plug.If you are still having problems take the carb apart and clean it out. Run some seafoam through the system and I bet you'll be good to go. Tons of instructional videos on youtube....not that hard.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,262 times
Smile Diagnose

Just remember just because there are videos on how to fix something that is not always the issue,
diagnosing is a big part on repairing,I have had people think it is the carburetor yet it would be either
the shear pin,or valves,and occasionally the cam gear. Customers have brought them to me in pieces
in a box.Just something to keep in mind,You know the ol saying, knowledge is power.
B's mower repair, In Wake Forest N.C. Near Rolesville.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 AM

342 posts, read 823,638 times
Pretty sure Premium still has Ethanol in it. Here is a site that lists Ethanol free gas stations

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 AM

13,808 posts, read 24,837,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish923 View Post
Pretty sure Premium still has Ethanol in it. Here is a site that lists Ethanol free gas stations

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Yep. Only some places sell ethanol free gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary