Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,681,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I would much rather see "infill" development like this than sprawling development. It's funny how people view projects like these. Just goes to show you can't make everyone happy all the time.

NRG, you are right as usual. But there really just isn't that much space there to imagine the number of units they want to put in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 AM

334 posts, read 865,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I would much rather see "infill" development like this than sprawling development. It's funny how people view projects like these. Just goes to show you can't make everyone happy all the time.

Depends on how much 'infill' is happening. Finding a parking spot yesterday in Cameron Village was a very frustrating and time consuming pain.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM

26 posts, read 81,985 times
Isn't this area actually called Oberlin Village? I though Cameron Village was just the shopping center within Oberlin Village

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 AM

804 posts, read 2,000,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Depends on how much 'infill' is happening. Finding a parking spot yesterday in Cameron Village was a very frustrating and time consuming pain.
that's probably going to be a problem forever unless they start marking spots to limit them for all-day parking. many of the NCSU students park at cameron village & walk or ride the bus to campus. add to that the stores/restaurants that are maintaining business & there will continue to be parking issues. i imagine that most of the businesses are grateful for limited parking when it's their customers; when its students, perhaps not so much.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM

334 posts, read 865,767 times
That's my point it's already a jammed up area and people are applauding even more 'infill'.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:16 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,605,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
That's my point it's already a jammed up area and people are applauding even more 'infill'.
I doubt this development is going to have much of an impact on the parking problems at Cameron Village. I assume the building will have it's own parking and most of the residence would probably walk if they where shopping at CV. The area really isn't "jammed up" as far as car traffic goes.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I doubt this development is going to have much of an impact on the parking problems at Cameron Village. I assume the building will have it's own parking and most of the residence would probably walk if they where shopping at CV. The area really isn't "jammed up" as far as car traffic goes.

AMEN!
The whole point of putting housing where people can walk is to limit the amount that people drive.
As for not being able to find a parking spot, I never have trouble finding a spot in CV. But, then again, I am not viewing it as if I have to find a spot in front of a specific store and I don't always drive. I usually walk the six blocks unless it rains. I typically look to the outskirts of the lots so that nobody dings my car door with theirs. It is more challenging at lunch as many people descend on the center for an hour. But, even then, I have never turned around and went home for a lack of place to park.

As for the State students parking there, that's an issue for the management of the center.

BTW, here's a link to the DT housing projects in planning right now. There's some good information.
Raleigh Downtown Living Advocates - Home - Want to rent in downtown Raleigh? You (http://www.raleighdla.com/home/2011/10/19/want-to-rent-in-downtown-raleigh-youll-soon-have-six-new-apa.html - broken link)

Old 10-20-2011, 12:46 PM

109 posts, read 105,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

AMEN!
The whole point of putting housing where people can walk is to limit the amount that people
That doesn't compute. Adding more housing does not reduce the amount of traffic. People still will drive into the village and now people who live there will be driving out of the village. It's not like all the people who drive in for lunch will decide to move there, sell their cars and walk to work somewhere else.

If putting more housing in closer proximity eliminates traffic issues, NYC, LA and Atlanta would not be in constant gridlock.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 PM

924 posts, read 2,097,605 times
Speaking on the goings-on there around Cameron Village, I thought that the typically excellent local blog Goodnight, Raleigh! had an excellent piece today on the bittersweet feelings associated with those modernist buildings being torn down near Oberlin and Clark to make way for the new housing developments:

Demolished: The Ballentine’s Cafeteria Building | Goodnight, Raleigh!

And they also have an interesting 2-minute YouTube video of some of the demolition of the prettiest of the old buildings, the former Ballentine Cafeteria Building:

410 Oberlin Road Demo - YouTube

Like John, and like many other people, I'm both saddened and excited to see this kind of progress happening there.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
That doesn't compute. Adding more housing does not reduce the amount of traffic. People still will drive into the village and now people who live there will be driving out of the village. It's not like all the people who drive in for lunch will decide to move there, sell their cars and walk to work somewhere else.

If putting more housing in closer proximity eliminates traffic issues, NYC, LA and Atlanta would not be in constant gridlock.
It does compute. Traffic is a function of the # of cars on the road the distances that they have to travel. Sprawling a city like LA and Atlanta is a perfect example of how this affects traffic. Practically eveyone has to drive everywhere. Traffic in Manhattan is pretty good considering how many people live and work there. The majority of those that do live there don't drive. The traffic jams in NYC are mostly about the people who commute to and from the burbs to the city.

Morning and afternoon commutes will be affected but it's not going to create this all day traffic jam. Plus, it won't affect the lunch traffic either since people will already be gone if they leave the area daily or, if not, they'll be there and on foot.

Again, my Miami home is on a tiny island with thousands of residents. People come and go for work and it's NOT a nightmare despite what one might presume. My Raleigh home is in Glenwood South. I have also never had a problem entering or exiting my garage there.

Inside the beltline is clearly more densely populated than outside the beltline. Yet, on roads like Glenwood Ave, ever notice how the traffic is much worse outside the Beltline than it is inside the Beltline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary