Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM

109 posts, read 105,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It does compute. Traffic is a function of the # of cars on the road the distances that they have to travel. Sprawling a city like LA and Atlanta is a perfect example of how this affects traffic. Practically eveyone has to drive everywhere. Traffic in Manhattan is pretty good considering how many people live and work there. The majority of those that do live there don't drive. The traffic jams in NYC are mostly about the people who commute to and from the burbs to the city.

Morning and afternoon commutes will be affected but it's not going to create this all day traffic jam. Plus, it won't affect the lunch traffic either since people will already be gone if they leave the area daily or, if not, they'll be there and on foot.

Inside the beltline is clearly more densely populated than outside the beltline. Yet, on roads like Glenwood Ave, ever notice how the traffic is much worse outside the Beltline than it is inside the Beltline?
CV is a retail plaza. People are going to continue to drive to it to eat or shop. Having more apartments there won't stop people from driving to the shopping plaza. It will just add more people who may be able to walk to it as well.

Traffic will not decrease in this situation. BTW I have always found ITB traffic awful compared to outside of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM

814 posts, read 2,003,769 times
Traffic to CV won't decrease, as those that drive there now will still drive there. But I think what the OP is saying is that traffic will decrease overall (city-wide?), since a bunch of people will be moving to an area where they don't have to drive for many of their needs (grocery, clothes, downtown...ChickFila!) so their driving will be reduced.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,632,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
Traffic will not decrease in this situation. BTW I have always found ITB traffic awful compared to outside of it.
I live in Glenwood South and commute to North Raleigh every day. Driving ITB is smooth sailing out and back. I always experience the most congestion and traffic issues after I hit the north side of 440. I travel from Glenwood to Peace to Capital to Wake Forest Road/Falls of Neuse and then reverse in the evening. It's rare that I find myself sitting in traffic anywhere within 440 unless there is a special event going on with streets closed or blocked.

For those who think the residential units will cause parking issues - how do you feel about the new Chik-fil-a being built in the middle of the Rite Aid parking lot? That will be removing parking spaces for the entire shopping center, and not replacing them. It is my understanding that the residential buildings will have integrated parking.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:11 PM

519 posts, read 980,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
CV is a retail plaza. People are going to continue to drive to it to eat or shop. Having more apartments there won't stop people from driving to the shopping plaza. It will just add more people who may be able to walk to it as well.

ITB traffic can seem bad mainly because many of the streets are one or two lanes. You get behind a slow moving vehicle or need to merge into one lane when people are parked on the street can make traffic seem awful.

I can see some people who enjoy the CV area moving into the new developments, especially if they don't want to buy a home. People who will move there probably won't want a long commute if they chose to live in the suburbs of Raleigh and the like. And it's not a far walk to downtown Raleigh.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
Let me be clear. I NEVER said that adding apartments was going to REDUCE the number of cars parking at CV. I simply said that, despite what people might think, adding density to the right places doesn't increase the traffic in the same way that suburban development does because suburban development increases the miles typically driven by each car (per anum).

Thanks miamiblue for your story. I couldn't agree more. I have to laugh that I can reach RTP quicker from DT (though I almost always telecommute) than my colleagues who live in North Raleigh, Apex and even parts of Cary. It sounds crazy but it's true.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,827,682 times
Most streets (Glenwood, Capital, Six Forks, Wake Forest, Saunders, New Bern, even Hillsborough) seem to be subjectively worse OTB than ITB, even at rush hour.

The only streets I travel regularly that get worse ITB rather than better are Western and Wade. Western is particularly bad as it has far more stoplights than Wade. I guess there's Dan Allen which is a perpetual crawl, but IMO that doesn't really count.

In my experience, Cameron Village does not have bad traffic, unless your only definition of bad traffic is "Not proximate to 45mph streets." Broughton High can cause traffic problems but that's a mile down the road, and besides, the same can also be said of every school, ITB or OTB. These apartments are a welcome addition.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,066 times
ia there a luxury modern apartment complex in cameron village or oberlin road?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,959 times
Apartments? Not yet. Perhaps you can find someone renting out one of their condos in that new monstrosity on the corner of Oberlin and Wade.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,335,330 times
Which new monstrosity condo complex? Not sure if you're referring to Oberlin Court but I thought those were nice modern apartment complexs with retail/shopping/dining underneath right on Oberlin and walking distance to Cameron Village.

The Apartments at Oberlin Court

Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Most streets (Glenwood, Capital, Six Forks, Wake Forest, Saunders, New Bern, even Hillsborough) seem to be subjectively worse OTB than ITB, even at rush hour.

The only streets I travel regularly that get worse ITB rather than better are Western and Wade. Western is particularly bad as it has far more stoplights than Wade. I guess there's Dan Allen which is a perpetual crawl, but IMO that doesn't really count.

In my experience, Cameron Village does not have bad traffic, unless your only definition of bad traffic is "Not proximate to 45mph streets." Broughton High can cause traffic problems but that's a mile down the road, and besides, the same can also be said of every school, ITB or OTB. These apartments are a welcome addition.
Actually Broughton High is only a few blocks from Cameron Village. It's between Glenwood South and Cameron Village. A mile from the eastern edge of Cameron Village takes you all the way past Capital Blvd on Peace St. Things are much closer than you might think ITB. Glenwood South is walkable to Cameron Village yet many people think it's not. NC State is also walkable to Cameron Village. One day I am going to create my own website that visually overlays one sort of development on top of another. This will allow everyone to see how land use planning affects our lives and our transportation habits. I pay close attention personally to these sort of things when I move about the city. For instance, I visited friends of mine in a (not to be named) North Raleigh subdivision and travelled more than a mile from the main entrance through continuous single family houses just to get to their house. Then I thought to myself about all the sorts of things that are within a mile of me. No wonder they are tied to their cars.

As for parking, the only time I found it difficult to park at CV was this Christmas Eve....but, then again, that's sort of expected. Nonetheless, I found my spot near the Fresh Market and walked (God forbid) across the street. It was still closer to my destination than if I had parked in the middle of a Walmart lot and shopped there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary