Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
You're hilarious. You really think it's going to end now? They have to do the runoff first, then they will surely make changes AGAIN.
Six Board members voted in favor of the plan (Margiotta, as Chairman, does not vote except in case of a tie). So regardless of the outcome of the runoff election, there will still be six supporters of the plan on the Board, and at most 3 opponents. Seems like the run-off election has become irrelevant to this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 AM

109 posts, read 105,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Six Board members voted in favor of the plan (Margiotta, as Chairman, does not vote except in case of a tie). So regardless of the outcome of the runoff election, there will still be six supporters of the plan on the Board, and at most 3 opponents. Seems like the run-off election has become irrelevant to this issue.
Right. 100% of the board members are favorable to the plan. One no was to simply wait a month for the new board to also vote yes. The other no had the same reason, plus wanting one small adjustment which can be done later anyhow.

It's almost irrelevant who holds the majority after the runoff, because they all basically agree. On top of that, busing for diversity is not an option going forward now that the data sources are banned.

This plan is the only plan either side can use.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 AM

280 posts, read 741,269 times
I am surprised that the vote went 6-8 I had assumed it would be 5-4 and we would be back to the bickering for the next few years.
I dont get the new plan at all and IMO we will not have a clear picture until this plan is implemented - the first year is going to be brutal for the 15-20% that dont get their choice.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Yes, you just won't get in. It is expected that only 85% of students will get their first choice. So for 15% of students in he county, it's not really a choice plan. Let see what happens with Enloe, Green Hope and Davis Drive Elementary. I think most people think that they are going fall under the majority and will really be allowed to pick their school! I think this plan sounds good but is going to leave a lot of people disappointed!
This is what I'm worried about. There are 4 kids in my son's grade that live in our neighborhood. What if we all decide to move from our current school (8 miles away) to a different school (< 3 miles away). The 85% that get their first choice will be the students grandfathered into that school. The remaining 15% will be a lottery for kids trying to transfer into that school. Will they try to keep all the kids in the neighborhood together, or will we end up with 4 school busses coming to our neighborhood to take each of those 4 kids to a different school?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Looking forward to hearing the Rev. Dr. William Barber's press statement.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 AM

334 posts, read 867,574 times
Maybe WRAL will tone down their obsession with issue.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
So it seems like the fighting has finally stopped and we can move forward.
This is the funniest statement I've ever read on city-data. I can only assume you are joking.

What about busing due to overcrowding?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
No, it isn't ever going to be really over.

BUT---please keep in mind that although it is supposed to start next year, all currently enrolled students are grandfathered. This new plan applies to Kindergarten ONLY.

I'm not clear if by this they mean that any student entering anything other than K will even be offered the new choices or will have to stick with the old. Or how this will effect new transfers.

Anne, do you KWIM? I'm not sure if I'm being clear. I am assuming that the choices for my own kids will be exactly the same as they were this year.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM

109 posts, read 105,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
This is the funniest statement I've ever read on city-data. I can only assume you are joking.

What about busing due to overcrowding?
Busing for diversity is not possible now. Both sides know it, which is the only reason they came together to support this plan. It's kind of nice to see them get all agree on something for once.

Busing for population increase is a different matter. The numbers will not add up when people keep flocking to western Wake. Buyers need to educate themselves about the growth situation. More schools are needed and that means more taxes. That's on the buyers and new transplants may not get the choice they want. That is understandable IMO.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
So it seems like the fighting has finally stopped and we can move forward. It's a good day for Wake County.
Agreed. Now hopefully the out of county complainers will go home and let us focus on academic achievement instead of politics and failed social experiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary