Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 AM

17 posts, read 50,642 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Cary, right along the Raleigh border. Can anyone recommend a good preschool, that does not cost as much as my rent on a 3bedroom apartment? My son is 4 and we don't want to send him to a preschool that is a day care in disguise. Anyone out there have any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,122,216 times
It's going to be difficult to find a preschool accepting anyone right now, but you never know, you may get lucky and find a spot. Do you live in East Cary? I'm in East Cary just a mile or so from the Raleigh border. My daughter went to Cary Presbyterian Preschool ast year, which was sort near downtown Cary behind Cary elementary school. It was probably only about 5 miles from me and I think it cost $180.00 a month for 5 days, 9:30-12:30.
There is a preschool at CHrist the King Lutheran Church which is right across the street from Cary high in East/Central Cary. There are two big preschools in the "big" old churches on Academy street downtown, I just can't think of the names of the churches. One is right next to the post office (First Baptist or something?) ANd one is a block up from that going towards Cary Elementary. You can't miss either of them if you drive down Academy street.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,702,164 times
We send our kids to First Baptist Cary which is in downtown Cary. It's a very loving environment and I was very comfortable sending my daughter there last year (it was our first preschool experience). I pay $155 for three days for my 4 year old. I think they still have spaces.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 PM

112 posts, read 491,812 times
wow 155 dollars for 3 days.... is that per week or month?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,122,216 times
I'm speaking for the other poster here, but that's usually per month. We've been in three preschools in the area over the years and they've always been between 150-200 a month depending on how many days per week it is. They're also usually just for a few hours in the mornings, not full time or anything, and they're all private preschools, generally in churches (or synagogues).

Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM

112 posts, read 491,812 times
That's not to bad of a price, but I don't understand why they would only offer it 3 days a week and only half days. Are there any that offer mon-fri full days?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
wow 155 dollars for 3 days.... is that per week or month?
Sorry, that's the monthly rate.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
That's not to bad of a price, but I don't understand why they would only offer it 3 days a week and only half days. Are there any that offer mon-fri full days?
pe

Most preschools are half days. I don't work and to have my four year old gone three mornings a week (for three hours) is plenty, but that's my preference. I don't know if the private preschools like Primrose and Goddard offer more, but I would think that full day preschool (not daycare) is pretty unusual.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 PM

17 posts, read 50,642 times
Thanks, we've checked into several of the private schools. They all seem to have spots however I think that has a lot to do with their prices. Goddard wanted over 600 a month, chesterbrook insanely wanted 918 a month. We're catholic, but have been non practicing for several years, 'due to this up in MA prior to moving here, we had not been able to find a church willing to baptize our kids. Funny, with all the corruption going on they won't baptize the kids since we don't attend regularly (hubby works nights and weekends and we have 3 kids 4 and under). But thats another topic. A lot of the schools online wanted the baptism certificate, are the schools mentioned above only available for baptised kids? I am too right on the Raleigh line.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,153,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomservo24 View Post
A lot of the schools online wanted the baptism certificate, are the schools mentioned above only available for baptised kids?
I am not aware of any church preschools that require a baptism certificate. We looked at First Baptist and Greenwood Baptist. One of our kids will be going to Christ the King Lutheran, and they definitely don't.

Edited to add: now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense for any of the Baptist programs to require Baptism certificates as their church members would not be baptized before preschool.

Most of the church programs give preference to church members, but at this point if there is open space then membership won't matter. Sign-ups for preschools around here are generally in January/February for the following September, so you may have to call several to find open space. Many have their new student open houses and meet the teacher this week, so call Monday!

Last edited by J_Lurk; 08-25-2007 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary