Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 17,126 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just recently moved to the area and am on a very tight budget. I have two 20-25lbs dogs with me in the area. I'd like to visit family for thanksgiving, but can't find a boarding center that's less than $40 for both of them/night. They're pretty independent dogs; they don't need the extra amenities--just to be let out and have a warm place to sleep.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Back home, we found this nice lady who ran her own company which was much cheaper than what a vet charges. Let me know if you have any advice!! I'm in a tight bind here.

Thank you all in advance,

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
I believe that price to be the norm. Is there any kids nearby that would want to come over twice a day to play and potty the dogs? You could pay them $5/day and they'll be tickled for the extra cash. Plus, the dogs would be in their own home comfortable and free to roam instead of being locked up in a cage if you take them to the vet or a pin if they were to go to a kennel.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 PM

699 posts, read 1,705,773 times
You may want to trade off dog boarding with a fellow dog owner. They watch your dogs now. You watch theirs over the Christmas holidays. or??

One year, we stayed at our daughter's friends apartment and watched her cat while she went home to the Midwest. Worked out well for us as we weren't all piled into our daughter's apartment. Is there someone you know who needs to put up relatives over Thanksgiving?

Or perhaps there is someone who will trade pet setting for some skill you have.

We've tried hiring a high school students to let our dogs out a couple times a day and feed and walk them. It was a fiasco. He left the dogs in way too long and out of necessity, they turned a corner of our living room into a toilet. Ended up ripping up the carpet. Would have been way cheaper to pay $40/day.

You may want to check with Crossroads Vet Clinic. Seems like they would allow two dogs to stay in the same kennel and it was around $30/day.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 17,126 times
thanks to both of you. My neighbors aren't too friendly, so I'll have to try a kennel. I'm surprised though; the nice company we use back home charges $8/night/dog.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
I have used Armadale farm kennel in the past. My dog is still alive so I assume she received decent care. Who knows how well the pet is treated while boarding?

Kennel Rates | Armadale Farm Kennel

Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
My dog is still alive so I assume she received decent care.

I know someone through Triangle Beagle Rescue who just started pet-sitting. This is from his website:
<<We offer home visits in the Raleigh/Knightdale area in which we will feed, walk, brush, pet, and love your pet. When we visit we can also collect mail, water plants, and check on your home. We charge $15 for each visit to your house for up to two pets, and an additional $5 for each pet after that. Other requests are negotiable.>>

If you're interested, DM me and I'll send you his contact info.

Last edited by ERH; 10-23-2011 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I pay 23 for my dog at the vet per day.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM

103 posts, read 279,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel14 View Post
thanks to both of you. My neighbors aren't too friendly, so I'll have to try a kennel. I'm surprised though; the nice company we use back home charges $8/night/dog.
Where are you located in the Triangle? I have friends in Apex and West Cary who have high school students care for their dogs when they are out of town. Don't give up yet, there are a lot of friendly people in the Triangle.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 AM

63 posts, read 139,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel14 View Post
the nice company we use back home charges $8/night/dog.
If you're driving home can you bring them with you & board them at that place while you're there?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Sandy Ridge Kennels in Fuquay Varina. We just boarded our Toy Chihuahua here a month ago...
Sandy Ridge Boarding Kennels - Pet Services - Fuquay-Varina, NC | Facebook
"Daily rate for two dogs in the same suite, from same household is $26.00."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary