U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:03 AM

140 posts, read 1,620,683 times

Advertisements

I did listen to a couple of Crossroads sermons. I liked both of them.

But they don't seem to be "spirit-filled" in the charismatic sense, so I'm putting them behind a couple of other churches that I'm looking into.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 AM

9,680 posts, read 26,087,241 times
Depends on the sermon series in progress.

Crossroads is gigantic and you can just walk in to observe a service without pressure to become a member.

Might stop in to hear one.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:11 AM

Yeah, they are in my top 3 so far....

* Crosspointe Church
* New Horizon Church
* Crossroads Fellowship

Old 09-30-2007, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 45,229 times
Hurricanedavid,

I have been traveling a lot so I haven't been home enough to visit all of these churches. I'm on the same page as you regarding your believes. Let me know if you have found a church yet or any updates on these churches that you want to share.
Thanks!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Just went to Crosspointe today...
  • Sanctuary has an estimated 600 seats, which was approx. 80% full at the 11am service I attended on 2007.9.30
  • I only caught the last two songs of the worship part. I was farmiliar with both of them, so my guess is that they bring in popular worship music (unlike a couple of churches I know of).
  • I saw one set of raised hands during the worship. This is my first visit, so I draw no conclusions. But I thought I would report it. My personal preference would be to see more.
  • Chairs are comfy and don't have arms between them.
  • Worship team/band were skilled. They didn't sound like they just put it together just to have something. Couple of guitars, drums, etc.
  • Stage background tastefully modern, IMHO. Well done.
  • A main worship leader (nice voice and demeanor), and just two other singers.
  • People seemed friendly.
  • I saw some ugly people, some pretty people, and a bunch of average people. I like that cross-section.
  • I saw a few black families, and other minorities.
  • The pastor just got back from Africa, so he didn't preach. An associate pastor did, and he did very well, IMHO.
  • I think pastor said that membership was at about 1400 right now.
  • They are emphasizing small groups, so that the church becomes smaller, and that people can establish supporting relationships. I like that.
As always, any conclusions that were drawn are my own. I have listened to many sermons online, but this was my first visit to the worship service. It takes about six visits or so to really guage the character of a church.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:41 PM

86 posts, read 130,111 times
I believe speaking in tongues is more of a touch from the Holy Spirit and not something that can be sought for every Sunday.

Am I wrong?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believerofgod View Post
I believe speaking in tongues is more of a touch from the Holy Spirit and not something that can be sought for every Sunday.

Am I wrong?
You'll find many who are on either side of the speaking in tongues issue, and both hold firmly to their beliefs and claim their source as the Bible.

In my personal opinion, this is a grey area, with the Bible offering some texts that indicate that tongues would be for today, and others that might indicate that it would not be. So in this gray area, I trust in the idea that most new Bible readers (to the tongues issue) would come away with the conclusion that tongues has not been stopped. So that's good enough for me.

Personally, I believe like you have said.... if God prompts it, then that's the time for it. And that he usually doesn't prompt it at every service.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM

Hurricanedavid,

You are awesome! Thank you for all the details. My job has me traveling again this week and I'm going to miss another weekday and Sunday service this week. So you have been great in providing me this information. I miss having a home church.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
You'll find many who are on either side of the speaking in tongues issue, and both hold firmly to their beliefs and claim their source as the Bible.

In my personal opinion, this is a grey area, with the Bible offering some texts that indicate that tongues would be for today, and others that might indicate that it would not be. So in this gray area, I trust in the idea that most new Bible readers (to the tongues issue) would come away with the conclusion that tongues has not been stopped. So that's good enough for me.

Personally, I believe like you have said.... if God prompts it, then that's the time for it. And that he usually doesn't prompt it at every service.
I believe that speakin in tongues is a gift that should not be misused and only prompted by God. There needs to be organization and control in the church and should not be seen as a routine every Sunday morning.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 PM

460 posts, read 1,711,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
I saw some ugly people, some pretty people, and a bunch of average people. I like that cross-section.
Interesting comment. Sad, but interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary