Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM

166 posts, read 304,450 times

Advertisements

We enjoy casual wine tastings and wine events; the sort that focus on the socializing with some basic education over the technicalities of wine.
We'd like to find something that has regular meetings which we can plan to attend if we are available but don't have to commit to..."come as you are/come as you can".
We'd prefer Durham but could consider other areas around the Triangle.
Does such a thing exist here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
A Southern Season in Chapel Hill hosts a number of wine tasting events. Check the schedule here:

https://www.southernseason.com/class...ment.asp?id=53

Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,547 times
Did you check out meetup? I have to imagine they would have somethinig like that. If not you could set it up -- I bet people would be interested.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
Niche Wine Bar in Holly Springs has weekly wine tastings (Wednesday, I believe).

I've never been to the wine tastings, but the few times I have been in there the bartender (owner?) seemed knowledgeable.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the replies!
Not being a "computer person", I'm not familiar with meetup....can you tell me more about that?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Just go to meetup's website: Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup

It's self explanatory - search for a group by interest and location.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
There are many great local wine shops in the Triangle and most of them hold weekly FREE wine tastings. You can go with friends or by yourself (I always meet new friendly people when I go). Most of the tastings are hosted by knowledgeable wine distributors or the shop staff and they can give you all the info you would like about the wines you are tasting. Here are a few places to consider checking out dates/times about when they hold free tastings. Have Fun!

Wine Authorites in Durham Wine Authorities - Home
Saturday - 12-3pm

Wine 101 in Wake Forest - Link to website: Wine 101
Friday 5-8pm
Saturday 2-5pm

Uncorked in North Raleigh - Link to website: UncorkedNC
Friday 5:30-8pm

Seaboard Wine in Downtown Raleigh (easy plentiful parking lot) - Link to website: Seaboard Wine & Tasting Bar
Saturday 12-4pm

The Raleigh Wine Shop in Downtown Raleigh on Glenwood Avenue - Link to website: The Raleigh Wine Shop
Saturday 1-4pm

Taylor's Wine Shop in North Raleigh (Cool gas Station with Excellent Wine Selection)
Holds Free Tastings on certain Thursday Nights 6-8pm check website for details: Taylor's Wine Shop

Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM

63 posts, read 182,846 times
Default Wine Tastings..

Great suggestions and I look forward to trying some of these as well! Love the Wine Authorities- as well as:
3CUPS-Chapel Hill: they host frequent events as well + it's unique since it's wine, coffee, and tea featured. Enjoy!
3CUPS | Chapel Hill, NC | Wine, Coffee, Tea Merchants

Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 AM

821 posts, read 1,462,556 times
World Market and Total Wine both hold very informal tastings on Saturday afternoons - not sure if you're looking for something a bit more formal

Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 PM

These are GREAT! Thanks particularly to NRG- this looks like what we had in mind.
When we were in Greenville some years back there was a monthly tasting event that we absolutley loved at a restaurant called The Beef Barn- very friendly and informative without being too stuffy. The restaurant owner hosted each month, but was usually backed by a distributor or some vendor who provided most of the wines for that night.
It was great fun and we made many wonderful "wine friends", so that is sort of our standard for wine tasting groups..

Thanks again and please, don't stop if there are more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary