Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM

85 posts, read 311,576 times

Advertisements

Okay, folks.....help me out here. The other day I saw a lizard on my front porch in Cary. What is gooooing on? It was a good 4 inches long and about as round as my index finger. The little bugger just sat there and looked at me......like I was somehow bothering him!!!

Are lizards common in this area and/or is there something else that it could have been? It sure did look like a lizard. I live in Kildaire Farms, off of Two Creeks Road, and there's that little body of water right behind the Tennis and Swim Club. I'm guessing that it slithered up to my house from there?

Heh, heh, heh.....flocks of geese in my front yard, cranes in the nearby Apex lake/reservoir, and now lizards on my porch. Yes, I'm sure I don't live in western PA anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,873 times
I have seen a lot of lizards and skinks since we moved down here. I love them. So cute.

Anolis carolinensis, the Carolina Anole
Eumeces inexpectatus and several related skink species
Sceloporus undulatus, commonly known as either the Fence Lizard or Swift

Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I always thought seeing a lizard at your house was considered good luck!

Vicki

Old 08-23-2007, 09:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
There are lots here: anoles and skinks are common especially if you have water near your house.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:24 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
I thought that might of been a typo. Just what is a skink?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
They're just a large class of lizard, but they generally have no neck and shorter legs and move almost more snakelike than on legs, even though they do have legs. Their skin is usually smooth and moist and shiny and many have a blue stripe down the back of the juveniles.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:50 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
I love lizards. I'll trade you your lizard for my cicada.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop108 View Post
Heh, heh, heh.....flocks of geese in my front yard, cranes in the nearby Apex lake/reservoir, and now lizards on my porch. Yes, I'm sure I don't live in western PA anymore!
No, BettyBoop, you and Toto aren't in PA anymore.

We have no water near by, but we do have a few of those lovely lizards.
Unfortunately, the other day I saw one scurrying along with half its tail almost cut off It was hanging just by a bare thread. It upset me, because I thought that maybe it had been hiding under the trash barrel and I could have done that by moving the barrel, or something, at some point. I can still see it, and it still bothers me. I can't stand to hurt or kill things.

Can they survive without the tail, or regrow it the way lobsters regrow body parts?

Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
No, BettyBoop, you and Toto aren't in PA anymore.

We have no water near by, but we do have a few of those lovely lizards.
Unfortunately, the other day I saw one scurrying along with half its tail almost cut off It was hanging just by a bare thread. It upset me, because I thought that maybe it had been hiding under the trash barrel and I could have done that by moving the barrel, or something, at some point. I can still see it, and it still bothers me. I can't stand to hurt or kill things.

Can they survive without the tail, or regrow it the way lobsters regrow body parts?
Most of those little lizards have the capability of dropping part of their tail as a defense mechanism. As a child I played with many a lizard growing up in FL where they are literally EVERYWHERE! I've seen them drop their tails when feeling threatened, the dropped portion still wiggling long after the lizard has escaped. Don't worry, they can survive fine without it and it will grow back! I have a feeling that it probably doesn't even hurt them all that much.

I have seen more skinks since I've been here in NC than lizards. I really like the skinks, as we had some in FL, but you don't see them nearly as often as the cute little lizards. So it has been very cool to be walking along and see a skink slither by!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Hey, at least it was just on your porch and not inside the house! I had one probably at least that size run across the bathroom floor one day!

I don't mind them though - I figure they eat bugs, and anything that eats bugs is okay in my book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary