Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,481 times

Advertisements

Please don't laugh....but I'm obsessed (I believe that's the word my family used!) with finding a river that I saw on an HGTV House Hunters show. I recently relocated here from Oregon and love that I don't really have to spend 24 hours a day indoors due to the wet and cold!

Not long after moving here, I happened to watch a House Hunters show about a Raleigh woman looking for a new house - and at the very beginning of the program it flashed quickly through different pictures of the Raleigh area including a picture of the woman and her daughter jogging on a paved trail through the trees and ending up at a swiftly moving river that didn't appear to be muddy/murky and actually showed whitewater.

Can anyone help put me out of my misery and give me some ideas as to where they think this might have been filmed? I have obtained several maps, including a map showing the greenway trails, and have yet to find what I remember seeing on the show. My family all think I've totally "lost it" this time, as I even emailed HGTV to see if they could help me out! I didn't receive a reply, so I'm guessing they might have had better and more urgent things to do (imagine that!!). Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM

337 posts, read 1,136,381 times
Maybe on the Neuse River below Falls Lake Dam. That's the only place I can think of with rapids and a greenway. The only other rapids I can think of are on the Haw River above Jordon Lake, but they don't have a greenway that I know of.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
Maybe on the Neuse River below Falls Lake Dam. That's the only place I can think of with rapids and a greenway. The only other rapids I can think of are on the Haw River above Jordon Lake, but they don't have a greenway that I know of.
That's what I was thinking too.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 AM

5 posts, read 9,481 times
Thank you both for the suggestions - I'm on my way!!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:36 AM

379 posts, read 747,435 times
Let us know if you find it, because it sounds like I'll want to check it out too

Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM

2,904 posts, read 5,911,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatraco View Post
Thank you both for the suggestions - I'm on my way!!
You won't find whitewater right now. They're not releasing much water from the dam. They have a schedule, I believe, and have timed releases. They actually plan to put a whitewater rafting park down there in the future but right now you will find a parking lot, a canoe/kayak put-in, and the beginning of what is now a 6.5 mile greenway trail called the Upper Neuse Greenway, which will ultimately go on for many miles around the entire city and multiple counties.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
Default reply

That would be Lassiter Mill right behind Aldert Root school. Crabtree Creek is at it's widest right behind the old damn. There are some very nice houses right on the water. It is a great park. Was a hangout back in the day when the Lassiter family still owned the land. Kids would jump off the old bridge into Crabtree Creek.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM

735 posts, read 1,581,514 times
I didn't see the episode mentioned, but we walk to the lassiter dam all the time (usually on our way to the greenway). If you visit, go shortly after a large rain storm. You will see rapids.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,715,987 times
I grew up down the street. We used to fly down the chute in front of the dam on the left side and get shot into the water below. This was in the 70's to early 80's before any houses were there.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 PM

166 posts, read 303,702 times
Just wondering....did you try to go to the HGTV website and find that episode in the archives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary