Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 AM

735 posts, read 1,581,514 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe that there are people who have it in their neighborhood and continue to use heat pumps, coil heat, and propane.

While I know it isn't everywhere so it doesn't apply to all, but I have neighbors who refuse it and continue to have very high bills.

When I moved into our house, PSNC would not recognize the equal payment plan from our other house and made us start a new estimated monthly plan @ $100 a month to heat 3800sq/ft, along with two NG log fireplaces, a 50gal NG water heater, and a NG grill. I assumed that was a deal considering I was going to guess about $150 a month.

Well, I got notice last month that I overpaid by enough that they are dropping my bill to the minimum of $10 per month until they catch up.

Seeing that WRAL reported that they are reducing the rates for the winter 5% again, I just don't understand why people refuse it? I've asked and all they can say is that it is too expensive to pipe in to the house and replace the hvac units or that it is dangerous.

I can't even imagine what coil/pump/propane would cost to heat our house, but our highest gas bill over last winter was only $156 for the month and our progress energy bill was $70.67 for the same month.

We plan on piping in a stove and now maybe a dryer if these rates keep dropping like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
I assume that before judging your neighbors' decisions you calculated for them the full cost of switching fuel sources and equipment, and amortized that over the period they expect to live in the house?

Actually $100 a month sounds pretty steep to me. With a slightly smaller house, our average gas bill for the past 24 months, per PSNC's website, was $68.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I assume that before judging your neighbors' decisions you calculated for them the full cost of switching fuel sources and equipment, and amortized that over the period they expect to live in the house?

Actually $100 a month sounds pretty steep to me. With a slightly smaller house, our average gas bill for the past 24 months, per PSNC's website, was $68.
He recently replaced his HVAC system with a new heat pump and refused the option. He plans on dying in the house in his own words.

My assumption was based on our previous house which was about $60 a month average and 1600sq/ft with NG heat only and our consumption average over 12 months here is $55.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,063,990 times
We have heat pumps and propane for gas logs/ grill and would switch to NG in a heartbeat. PSNC says their nearest mains are 5,000' away so I need to get 50 of my neighbors to agree to switch. Pretty hard to do once folks have their electric appliances.
I agree that if NG is available and you need a new appliance - it makes good sense at today's rates.

Frank

Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,156,612 times
We're trying to get on the PSNC gas line. It runs right past the end of our street, but they tell us they need at least 3 customers from our street to sign on before they'll run a line. They WILL run it for just 1 or 2 but want us to pay the cost of running the line. Unfortunately, we of the 8 houses on our street, only 2 are interested. We currently use LP and have a 500g tank. The cost of the propane is killing us! We're spending about $1500 each winter to heat our house. It comes out to over $250 a month for the propane! I bought this house with the LP heat pump already in....but as soon as I can afford it, I will replace it with an electric heat pump. I've heated with electricity all of my life, and it's NEVER cost me anywhere near what LP does!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Gas prices can be volatile and some folks were badly burned by gas rates years ago.

Also, some prefer not to have gas in their homes for safety reasons.

Good to have choices.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 PM

374 posts, read 1,180,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
We're trying to get on the PSNC gas line. It runs right past the end of our street, but they tell us they need at least 3 customers from our street to sign on before they'll run a line. They WILL run it for just 1 or 2 but want us to pay the cost of running the line. Unfortunately, we of the 8 houses on our street, only 2 are interested. We currently use LP and have a 500g tank. The cost of the propane is killing us! We're spending about $1500 each winter to heat our house. It comes out to over $250 a month for the propane! I bought this house with the LP heat pump already in....but as soon as I can afford it, I will replace it with an electric heat pump. I've heated with electricity all of my life, and it's NEVER cost me anywhere near what LP does!
How much would it cost you to have them install the lines without getting the 3 people signed up? It might be worth the cost savings in the long run.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM

5,825 posts, read 6,888,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Also, some prefer not to have gas in their homes for safety reasons.
Are there any statistics comparing annual deaths for either source? There seem to be many more stories of house fires caused by faulty electric heaters than there are ones blowing up due to gas.

I have two systems in my house - one gas and one heat pump. I prefer the gas for the warmer air, although the heat pump is probably more efficient at milder temps.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Gas prices can be volatile and some folks were badly burned by gas rates years ago.
Natural Gas rates have had very little up and down movement in the past decade at least that I've noticed. Infact, when people were paying $4+ a gallon in gasoline natural gas was barely over $1 a therm.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 PM

632 posts, read 1,840,308 times
I'm praying for the gas line to get closer to our subdivision. A neighbor is also anxious; in fact, they went to the nearest sub/div just now getting it and spoke to a resident who is excited to be switching to it. Even with the cost of conversion on their LP furnace, they'll recoup it in one heating season. We had gas in IL and can't believe the cost difference in heating with LP down here. We pay WAY more here with much milder winters. I hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary