Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 AM

48 posts, read 117,747 times

Advertisements

Looking for housing/neighborhood advice, in case I actually get accepted to the Duke MSN program (nursing - fingers crossed). We'll be visiting in the upcoming months, but wanted to get a head start on neighborhoods to check out. Here's our situation:

1) In our 40's, no kids. My husband's an artist.

2) Strong preference for walkable/bikeable neighborhoods with cafes, grocery store, restaurants, bars nearby.

3) Funky is good. Artists are good. Diversity is good.

4) Not freaked out by a little grit or edginess....not looking for a perfectly gentrified, Starbucks-on-every-corner type area. (if you know Austin TX, we live on the east side now)

5) We have two dogs - houses/duplexes with yards would be nice, but they're small dogs (less than 20 lbs together) so an apartment complex could work too

6) we have a car (but hope not to have to use it all the time), and we'll need someplace to park it

7) I'm a runner, so good running neighborhoods/trails/parks would be a bonus

The nursing program likely requires driving to different sites for clinicals anyway - so given the choice between being very close to Duke or having a lot of cool stuff close by in my neighborhood, the neighborhood stuff is more important to me.

Thanks for any suggestions, y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,567 times
I like the Duke Park neighborhood, or Old North Durham. Both are accessible (with a degree of effort) to restaurants and nightlife, both are kind of funky with a good mix of people. Old North Durham is more "transitional," so is going to be grittier. Also consider Cleveland/Holloway, which is yet more transitional. There are lofts at Golden Belt, which also houses artists' studios and yoga and whatnot. That would also be a gritty neighborhood.

I only run when I'm being chased, but here in Durham, I know that people like running the trails in Duke Forest, and the American Tobacco Trail. I believe there are a good number of running clubs in Durham as well, if that interests you.

Good luck with your application--hope you get in!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Durham has lots of cool neighborhoods that are exactly as you describe. The Ninth Street area is the "Funky Central" area, but all of those neighborhoods around it fit the bill. There are also lots of former tobacco warehouses that are now "loft"-type condos that would be cool and right near the cool areas of Brightleaf Square and the American Tobacco Complex. It sounds like Durham is exactly what you're looking for--good luck on your acceptance!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,383 times
Burch Avenue sounds perfect for you. 2 blocks from a Duke bus stop, about 5 or 6 blocks from Brightleaf, you can run at East Campus (4 blocks away), houses all have yards, and we have an unofficial dog park in the form of the Duke Laundry facility, which is 90% fenced in an used by all the neighbors for their dogs. We also have at least 4 artists in the neighborhood that exhibit at various venues around town.

Best part is, the neighborhood is still pretty cheap (rents range from $800 to $1200 for a 3-bedroom).

Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM

48 posts, read 117,747 times
Thanks for the ideas! Will put those areas on my list of places to visit if/hopefully when I get an interview in a couple months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary