Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,971 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for ANY place that doesn't allow pets. I'm highly allergic, and would prefer not to have to deal with trying to avoid the dogs being walked, etc. on a daily basis. (People get very offended! Many insist that they don't need to keep their dog away from me because the dog doesn't bite. It's just a constant hassle I do not want.)
But I can't find ANY apartments that don't allow pets. I've called many complexes and they don't even have buildings that are pet-free -- meaning any apartment could have had a dog or cat living in it. It's tough to get it clean enough not to cause a reaction.
None of the apartment complex managers I've spoken to can think of a single place in Durham that doesn't allow pets. One even said it was against the law!
None of the apartment search sites even allow you to choose "no pets" as an option! The only two choices are "pets allowed" and "don't care."
I'm at a loss. Surely I'm not the only person with allergies in the entire city! I need to move up there soon. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:44 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Are you looking for an apartment specifically?

I think you may want to consider a rental maintained by a property management company where the owner specifies no pets. That shouldn't be too hard to find as I saw plenty of these in my searches. I'm sure they can find something in their listings if you inform them of your health requirements. I know that Real Estate Associates specifies in their listings if pets are allowed or not and you can search by 'no' for if you have a pet.

If you need more help finding property management companies, check my website by clicking my name and homepage.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
No, you're not the only person who would prefer a pet-free complex. Renters refuse to clean-up after their pets, and the apartment management refuses to do anything about it.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 AM

166 posts, read 304,450 times
We have just been through the rental mill and found that realty companies usually have a list of rental units ( not apartment buildings) that have a no pets clause. If you are concerned about the cost of renting a stand alone vs. an apartment building, you may be very surprised at how comparable they can be.
I know for sure that there are properties around the Duke campus ( east side) that do not allow pets...check with the following companies: Trinity, Apple,Real Estate Associates, and Jeffrey &Co for starters. Those are the ones I can recall off-hand but there are others. Also, the Duke Community Housing website has a list of places that are recommended for students and we got some leads from that.
I don't know your budget, but you might try West Village...the loft complex by Brightleaf Square

Old 11-08-2011, 06:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Yeah I would think your best bet is to look for houses for rent. There's also some stand alone apartment units around Duke's campus that I know are no pet. Problem right now though is a lot of these places are already full from student rentals.

Quote:
One even said it was against the law!
I imagine he's just misinterpreting the law that says you can't deny service animals.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I think only service (eg; for the blind) animals are allowed in all rentals.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:08 PM

698 posts, read 960,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js333 View Post
I'm looking for ANY place that doesn't allow pets. I'm highly allergic, and would prefer not to have to deal with trying to avoid the dogs being walked, etc. on a daily basis. (People get very offended! Many insist that they don't need to keep their dog away from me because the dog doesn't bite. It's just a constant hassle I do not want.)
But I can't find ANY apartments that don't allow pets. I've called many complexes and they don't even have buildings that are pet-free -- meaning any apartment could have had a dog or cat living in it. It's tough to get it clean enough not to cause a reaction.
Wow you really are allergic

I saw several complexes that noted they had designated pet apartments. How about a place that does NOT have carpet? Even if a pet had been in their previously would you still react? I'd keep looking

How about renting a house or an apt in a house?

Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
It's funny, but even though I am a dog lover with 3 dogs, if I did not own a dog I would prefer an apartment building that did not allow pets. I can see where not everyone would be enthusiastic about the potential noise and aggravation. But having a dog is such a wonderful thing that dog lovers are willing to compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary