U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,522 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Since we've never been to this area before, wonder what will be going on around the 1st or 2nd week of December. We're especially interested in outlet shopping and neat/unique places to shop, music concerts, comedy clubs. Not particularly interested in historical sites. But would definitely like to see some Christmas events.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So far I've looked around on the Web and can't find anything that really appeals to us. We may have to change our destination!!

Thanks so much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 AM

279 posts, read 662,121 times
Outlet shopping is in Smithfield or in Mebane both about 30-45 minutes from the Triangle. As far as other events, you can check here:

Out and About - Raleigh restaurants, dining guide, movie listings, events calendar :: WRAL.com

Hope this helps a little.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 AM

924 posts, read 1,962,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer2011 View Post
So far I've looked around on the Web and can't find anything that really appeals to us. We may have to change our destination!!
So, Boomer2011, if you have the option of changing your destination if you can't find anything to do in the Triangle that really appeals to you in the second week of December, why, may I ask, are you coming to the Triangle in the first place? I live in the Triangle, and I really like it here, and I think there are a decent number of worthwhile activities around here. But if you're simply looking for a city with "outlet shopping and neat/unique places to shop, music concerts, comedy clubs," it seems weird that you would pick the Triangle. There's some of all that here, but you'd find a lot more of it in a bigger city, of course. The Washington, D.C. area is only a couple hundred miles away from the Triangle, and it has an infinite array of options for things to do in December. Just curious.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,522 times
Default Reply To Tom Pope

That's a good question, Tom. Interestingly enough, we live in the Washington, D.C. metro area, and yes, there's plenty of things to do here. I'm not putting down the Triangle area. We had decided to visit there because we have a friend who has cancer living about 1.5 hours away from there -- or maybe a little bit more. We wanted to spend a bit of time with her, but she isn't up to long visits. So we thought that the Triangle area would be the next biggest city to her -- we could spend time with her throughout our visit and still have a bigger city to visit and one that we've never been to before. Our original destination was going to be Savannah, with a side trip on our way there and back to visit our friend, but time constaints that we hadn't planned on involving work schedules kind of end that idea. I still have the feeling, though, that once we actually get there, there will be plenty of neat things to do that we will like. It's just that we don't often have a chance to go away because of work schedules, and I was trying to combine visiting our friend with a nice getaway for us. I usually like to know ahead of time, though, what's available, i.e. concerts that we'd be interested in, attractions that you need tickets ahead for, things like that, so we can make the best use of our time.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 PM

924 posts, read 1,962,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer2011 View Post
That's a good question, Tom. Interestingly enough, we live in the Washington, D.C. metro area, and yes, there's plenty of things to do here. I'm not putting down the Triangle area. We had decided to visit there because we have a friend who has cancer living about 1.5 hours away from there -- or maybe a little bit more. We wanted to spend a bit of time with her, but she isn't up to long visits. So we thought that the Triangle area would be the next biggest city to her -- we could spend time with her throughout our visit and still have a bigger city to visit and one that we've never been to before. Our original destination was going to be Savannah, with a side trip on our way there and back to visit our friend, but time constaints that we hadn't planned on involving work schedules kind of end that idea. I still have the feeling, though, that once we actually get there, there will be plenty of neat things to do that we will like. It's just that we don't often have a chance to go away because of work schedules, and I was trying to combine visiting our friend with a nice getaway for us. I usually like to know ahead of time, though, what's available, i.e. concerts that we'd be interested in, attractions that you need tickets ahead for, things like that, so we can make the best use of our time.
Huh. That's an interesting situation, and my best to your friend.

Anyhow, I really like Raleigh and the Triangle area, but it's really not a very tourist-oriented place. Actually, I often think that the Triangle represents the inverse of the old saying about a place that's "a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." The Triangle is a terrific place to live, but not necessarily a great place to visit. There just aren't a lot of conventional landmarks or tourist attractions around here. That's not necessarily a bad thing. One of the things I like about the Triangle is that it's not flashy or glitzy, but it's just a substantive, down-to-earth, laid-back kind of place. It's so pleasant here, though, that I'm sure you'll enjoy you're visit, and you can certainly find things to do.

We have a fair number of events and festivals and concerts and that sort of thing around here during the spring, summer, and fall, but less so during December and the wintertime. I know that Paul Simon is playing in Durham on December 1 and Michael Ian Black (who I think is very funny) is performing in Durham on December 2, but it sounds like you'll more likely be here during the second week of December, so you'll probably miss that. Likewise, Raleigh participates in the First Friday event, and so that would fall on Friday, December 2. That's kind of a fun event, when many of the downtown art galleries, restaurants, and bars have extended hours and a festive atmosphere. But you probably won't be here.

I already have tickets to go see Beirut at the Cat's Cradle (a legendary independent music club in Carrboro) on December 8, so you might enjoy that if you like quirky indie rock. During early and mid-December there's a local stage production of A Christmas Carol that plays both in Durham for a few days and then in Raleigh for a few days. That production is put one by the people from the local Raleigh Theatre in the Park, and it's a longstanding and iconic local favorite, although personally it doesn't do much for me.

Another local event that I have circled on my calendar for the second week of December is the Historic Oakwood Candlelight Tour. Oakwood is a neighborhood just east of downtown Raleigh, and it's Raleigh's grandest old neighborhood, with an abundance of fabulous Victorian and turn-of-the-century houses. On the second weekend of December every year, they open up certain houses to the public for tours, and it's a terrific opportunity to get a glimpse of some authentic local history (I know you said you weren't real keen on historic sites, but still), see some beautiful old homes, see some awesome Holiday décor, and mingle with other revelers. It's open this year on Saturday and Sunday, December 10 & 11, in the afternoon and early evening. Maybe worth checking out. Here's the website:

Historic Oakwood - 2010 Candlelight Tour of Homes (http://www.historicoakwood.org/candlelight/candlelighttour2011.php - broken link)

The Carolina Hurricanes are playing hockey in town on December 1, 3, and 15. The Canes games are generally a fun event, but their rough finish to last season and rough start to this season has meant that there hasn't been as much energy at the games this year as usual, And if that ain't enough for you, Disney on Ice and WWE pro wrestling are also going to be in town during the second week in December, I believe. Yikes.

Also, for a "left field" suggestion, how about something outdoors? I don't know about you, but to me December can sometimes get kind of rough, between the chilly weather, the short days, and all the Christmas and Holiday stuff going on. I like finding opportunities to counteract that by getting outside in December, and actually in Raleigh, the weather in December is often very pleasant. There are lots of nice things to do outdoors around here, but for an easy and interesting one, how about a tour at the J.C. Raulston Arboretum? The Raulston Arboretum is affiliated with N.C. State University, and it's one of the best public gardens in the area. At 1:00 in the afternoon on the second Tuesday of every month, they offer a guided tour of the Arboretum focusing on a particular seasonally appropriate theme, and the tours are free and open to anyone. And even more so than in D.C., there's actually a lot to see in gardens around here even in December. There are all manner of beautiful evergreens, as well as plants with showy fruits or back, and even a few plants flowering in those dark days, such as camellias, mahonias, and others. So, if you're in town on Tuesday, December 13, and the weather is nice, maybe check it out.

Best of luck, and have fun!

Last edited by tompope; 11-13-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 PM

4,598 posts, read 9,589,736 times
Check out Charlie Goodnights or Comedyworkx for comedy clubs. The Triangle has tons of music venues and indyweek.com is going to be your most comprehensive source of information for what shows are going on. You could also see our world famous rendition of A Christmas Carol during that time if tickets haven't sold out.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 AM

166 posts, read 283,397 times
triangleartworks.org is a list of local galleries, many of which have shops. You may find something worth visiting there. The Cedar Creek gallery in Creedmore is a nice one...

Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 PM

4,898 posts, read 17,539,225 times
the Christmas Parade in downtown Mebane on Dec 2nd--it's the only nighttime parade in the area, very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary