Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 PM

181 posts, read 387,273 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I are house hunting and was wondering if anyone living near that area could give me an idea of how traffic is in the area. Traveling on 50N /Creedmoor Rd. there is only a two lane road; it would see that there would be congestion at rush hour(s) but i could be wrong.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:49 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,142 times
Actually, I find that the traffic around 50 and 98 isn't as bad as you would think. That area is just a few miles east of Durham, north of Raleigh, and west of Wake Forest, and yet right around there it's remarkably undeveloped. I think that's why the congestion isn't too bad. There certainly is a lot of traffic on both 50 and 98 around rush hour, but it's not to the point where there are frequent major delays or backups, in my experience. I think that's partly because the traffic volume isn't enormous, and also because those are two of the straightest roads in all of the Triangle, without as many bends and curves as most roads around here have, which slow down traffic a bit. And since the immediate vicinity isn't very highly developed, there aren't many intersections or cross-streets or traffic lights on either 50 or 98 near there, which helps keep traffic moving, too. There is more development going on in that area now, so the traffic will probably increase in the future. But so much of the land around there is state-owned Falls Lake land that there's a limit to how dense or crowded it can ever get. So, traffic may be a bit of a concern if you choose to move there, but it probably won't be a major hassle or a deal-breaker.

Incidentally, where would you be commuting to if you were to live near 50 and 98? Durham? Raleigh? RTP? Somewhere else? The direction you'd be traveling of course affects how much traffic you'd encounter, too.

Last edited by tompope; 11-13-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 05:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Where will your commute to your job take you?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:04 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,728 times
I grew up pretty close to that corner and still have family there. As stated, there isn't a lot of traffic right there. North of there on 50 is Falls Lake land, and north of that is Granville County. Going south on 50 the traffic would start to pick up around Norwood Road and then get heavier south of 540. West on 98 there is a stretch of land in Durham County that has problems perking and so will be slow to develop, then the traffic starts picking up again as development increases on the east side of Durham. East the development is light until one gets east of Falls of Neuse and the Falls Lake, then traffic would get heavier the closer you get to Wake Forest / Highway 1.

Also, that area is in the Falls Lake basin so it can't be too intensively developed; lot sizes will always be large.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,981 times
I feel like the traffic is slower on 98 going toward wake forest past 50 than on 50 going north to get to 98. Creedmoor road always seems to move quickly, and 98 can get backed up at the light on six forks.

But....my husband always takes ghoston, to new light, to purnell (we live off of purnell) so he basically misses all of the traffic on 98. In other words there are ways around the traffic!

We have lived in wake forest 6 years and I have not noticed a terrible increase in the traffic in the 98/50 area.

Leigh

Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,920 times
I don't travel those roads during rush hour but there isn't really any bad traffic that I can remember. I usually am using HWY 98 towards Wake Forest and if you get behind some slow people when it is a single lane then you will have to slow down of course but most people drive at or over the speed limit anyway.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 AM

181 posts, read 387,273 times
Thanks for the input. FYI, I would be commuting to Morrisville near RTP and my wife would be commuting to Butner. We both like the area as far as available homes, lot sizes, schools etc... Traffic was one of the only potential problem areas that I could think of, but it doesn't sound like it would be any worse thatn most other areas in/around Raleigh or Wake Forest area.

Thanks again!!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio108 View Post
Thanks for the input. FYI, I would be commuting to Morrisville near RTP and my wife would be commuting to Butner. We both like the area as far as available homes, lot sizes, schools etc... Traffic was one of the only potential problem areas that I could think of, but it doesn't sound like it would be any worse thatn most other areas in/around Raleigh or Wake Forest area.

Thanks again!!
Yeah, the commute from the 50/98 area to Butner should be smooth sailing most of the time. Going to and from Morrisville/RTP, you're likely to encounter far more traffic delays on the section of I-540 than you will on Highway 50. But it's certainly doable.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio108 View Post

Thanks again!!
We live about 1.5 miles from NC50/98. As noted the traffic is probably less than most areas. A neighbor heads to the Revlon plant in Oxford up NC 50 and I head into RTP on occasion. Really no problems for either of us except for the potential I540 issues.
There is some potential for redevelopment at the NC98/50 intersection but due to the watershed zoning the area is predominately low density residential.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary