Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times

Advertisements

Just curious what others perceptions or experiences in the Triangle area for single people in their 30s. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 12:13 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Just curious what others perceptions or experiences in the Triangle area for single people in their 30s. Thanks.
What's your lifestyle? Do you care to date heavily? Do you want a urban or surburban environ? Those are the 30k questions.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM

More or less to network, make friends, date, blah blah. As far as urban or suburban I prefer to live in an urban environment but I realize a lot of the Triangle is suburban. Moreso I was wondering how other 30 something singles are enjoying (or not) the Triangle and what they do for entertainment, dating, etc. Kind of a wrap up of the social scene.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
More or less to network, make friends, date, blah blah. As far as urban or suburban I prefer to live in an urban environment but I realize a lot of the Triangle is suburban. Moreso I was wondering how other 30 something singles are enjoying (or not) the Triangle and what they do for entertainment, dating, etc. Kind of a wrap up of the social scene.
O! Well, your mileage may vary. I'll say this, RDU's cup certainly runith over with married couples and folks who aren't married but attached.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
Quote:
RDU's cup certainly runith over with married couples and folks who aren't married but attached
You could say that about anywhere I have ever lived, except maybe DC, which is a very transient town. Bigger cities just have bigger percentages of each group.

If you are interested in getting out and meeting people, I would definately live downtown, either merely "inside the beltline" in some of the older neighborhoods, which are pretty mixed married/single, or actually downtown. It is pricier, but there is simply more going on every night of the week. That is where I lived when I was 30's and single and had plenty to do, and there was not 1/3 as much happening downtown then as there is now. There are lots of neighborhood bars, restaurants and coffee shops,etc. You can walk in your neighborhood and up to your regular coffee shop every morning or regular dinner place every night to meet people. You can keep up with the downtown "scene" much better and get to it easier than living in the burbs. I know there are people doing it, but I just think it would be hard to be single and living in a subdivision.

Check out these sites to see what is happening in Raleigh:

Welcome :: Downtown Raleigh Alliance

Downtown Raleigh - Live | Work | Play

Or ask questions on this thread on Urban Planet:

Triangle relocation thread - UrbanPlanet.org (http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Triangle-relocation-threa-t18722.html - broken link)

When I moved here in the late 80's, there were few places to live downtown, but I lived in the Cameron Village condos, which is still a cool place to live, but there are now so many more places, with more coming. See this map:
http://www.anncabell.com/images/down...tial-guide.pdf

Good luck

And don't let the posters on this Board dissuade you from anything downtown or near downtown telling you that it is dangerous or too pricey. Yes, you can't get a 5 bedroom house for $350,000 downtown, but it is a matter of what you are looking for. I am a single woman who has been living, working and hanging out downtown since 1987, I met my husband here (he is from L.A.) and just took my kids downtown for lunch and ice cream today. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 PM

324 posts, read 1,528,320 times
i moved here when i was 28 and met my husband at a hockey game...did not know anyone here as family lives in charlotte so...we also like going downtown for stuff VaNC.....

Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 PM

thanks for all the great tips!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Well, I am 27, boyfriend is 36, and most of our friends are in their 30's. We came to Raleigh just over a year ago from Miami, supposedly one of the best cities for young people. My perception is that your happiness in the Triangle will depend on what you're looking for. I personally was not happy in Miami (my hometown, by the way) because the quality of young people there is severely lacking IMHO - you don't make as many good friends there, lots of acquaintances. I've made many great friends in just the one year I have lived in Raleigh!

Yes, there are a lot of married couples and families around - you're going to find that just about anywhere, especially if you live in the suburbs. However, the majority of my close friends are single and interested in dating. Whenever we go out, it is always downtown because that is where there are lots of bars and things to do compared to the suburbs.

I have been living downtown for the past few months after living in NW Raleigh, and I really enjoy being within walking distance to all the action. I know I am not on the singles scene, but I know enough people who are to see that there seems to be a lot of people out there to choose from. Just like any other city in the world, the types of people you meet will depend on the circles you run in and the types of interests you have.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,678 times
Any tips for where *specifically* to go to meet people? I don't usually think that meeting people in bars is too fantastic for finding people to date, but I have been here a month and all of the people I work with are married or about to be. I would love to know where the late 20's-early 30's crowd goes out to mingle and meet. Are bars my only chance? If so, I guess I could stand a martini...

Old 08-31-2007, 04:40 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
I'm just about to leave my 30s (eek), and I think it's difficult - but, I'm so busy lately I simply don't have time, either. Meetup.com is good because people meet based on interests they have.

I'm one of the rare few who like to meet people in bars, heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary