Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,312 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am mother and having trouble filing out a 529 plan for my son. The application is complicated for me because I do not have any finance experience or knowledge. I am looking for someone to help me out and I prefer them to be affordable, knowledgeable, and honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 PM

387 posts, read 1,043,232 times
Well, I have been to Holly Nicholson and she is certainly knowledgeable. She is a CFP and also has a law degree. In addition, she has had children in college already so she knows the financial aid process as well. She will see clients fee-only by the hour, but she is not that affordable...she charges $250/hour. But she has other fee schedules as well for portfolio analysis etc. I find that checking in with her once a year is adequate for our needs. Best to have your agenda all lined up with your questions/concerns so as not to waste time.

If you just need help filling out a 529 plan, maybe you should just find a friend who has already done it, instead of paying someone.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 AM

379 posts, read 578,383 times
Matthew Unger at Ameriprise. 919-227-3182

He's my ex's brother and very professional. You won't regret it.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,312 times
I read about Holly, however, she seems to be very pricey for me. Thank you thou

Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 AM

374 posts, read 1,179,215 times
Honestly for a simple 529 I would just find a friend who has done it and have them help you.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,679,588 times
I don't know where you are but you can go to the Fidelity Investment center near Southpoint Mall. They can set up your 529 and as far as I know they don't charge anything. I have had accounts with them for years and just recently went in to get everything 'analyzed'. The rep helped me adjust my investments and it didn't cost me a thing. Her name was Molly Barrett and she was excellent.

7011 Fayetteville Rd, Durham 1800-987-1404

But now that I have said that, It occurs to me that you could probably go into any bank (your own bank) and they will be happy to open a 529 for you. You could easily set that up to have automatic monthly deposits from your checking to your 529 if you want. Let them do the work!

Congratulations to you for making college savings a priority!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM

273 posts, read 560,961 times
I would also recommend you visit Bogleheads.org forum. You can signup for free and get advice for free. I have used them on multiple occassions. It is similiar to this forum but has many professional folks that just like to help folks out. Might be another option you can take to save costs. I have used them when dealing with my own asset allocation questions and other retirement questions.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:32 PM

240 posts, read 626,118 times
I assume you are setting up the 529 in NC? If so, I would just call CFNC and have them walk you through it since they are the plan sponsor for NC. What kind of questions do you have? Are you trying to decide the best investment option? If you can't decide and you aren't knowledgable about investing I would probably just go with the age based option as it will automatically reallocate as your child approaches college.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM

560 posts, read 949,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I don't know where you are but you can go to the Fidelity Investment center near Southpoint Mall. They can set up your 529 and as far as I know they don't charge anything. I have had accounts with them for years and just recently went in to get everything 'analyzed'. The rep helped me adjust my investments and it didn't cost me a thing. Her name was Molly Barrett and she was excellent.

7011 Fayetteville Rd, Durham 1800-987-1404

But now that I have said that, It occurs to me that you could probably go into any bank (your own bank) and they will be happy to open a 529 for you. You could easily set that up to have automatic monthly deposits from your checking to your 529 if you want. Let them do the work!

Congratulations to you for making college savings a priority!
Just FYI - the people who are work at the Fidelity Investment Center are all salaried and do not work on commission. Just a good thing to know. :-)

Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM

5,805 posts, read 6,858,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkindness View Post
Hello
I am mother and having trouble filing out a 529 plan for my son. The application is complicated for me because I do not have any finance experience or knowledge. I am looking for someone to help me out and I prefer them to be affordable, knowledgeable, and honest.
You don't need a financial adviser. Start with Clark's guide
Clark's 529 Guide | www.clarkhoward.com

Note his first point - you need to save for retirement before saving for college, so make sure that is in place.

NC gives you a tax deduction if you pick an NC plan. If you want to keep it simple, just go with one of the Vanguard age based plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary