Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 AM

360 posts, read 992,709 times

Advertisements

Definitely a scam. They are probably so-called "Irish Travelers" who are likely moving through the area on their way South for the winter. The door-to-door contractor scam is one of their best-known schemes. Google the term and you'll get lots of fascinating information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
I don't think it is a scam. More someone trying to get some work. The way it went about it would not get my business though.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times
What's worse is that if you pay them any mind, they will continue to solicit right on down your street.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
What do you expect from someone who goes door-to-door soliciting business? Even in this economy there is more than enough work to go around for guys who do good work. We had some work done last year and the guy was BUSY, had more than one job going on, and we hired him back to do more work about 6 months later.

When those guys come to my door I try not to answer, but if I do, I just say "not interested" and close the door. I'm not interested in a sales pitch.

The "I worked for the old owners" is the oldest trick in the book.

I really hope you didn't let these people in the house - please re-think that strategy if you did.

And the price goes up in one week? Why?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:33 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
go with your instincts. sounds a little pushy & not someone that i'd want to give my business to, personally. i really, really, really hate people who come to my door & solicit me to sell something & i hate it even more when they are pushy & rude. i'm the one in control here, buster, not you.

on larger projects, always check that any general contractor / construction firm is in good standing with the nc licensing board for general contractors.

North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors

a general contractor's license is not required on any project that's less than $30,000 but it can't hurt to check their status even if your project is not that high.

word of mouth on these forums & other forums can usually turn up praise or abhorrence for businesses with a bit of google searching. best of luck.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Ask for his insurance info so you can check it and you will never hear from him again.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
Sounds like a scammer who checked the sales record on the home so that when he told you he worked for the old owners, you would think he was credible.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
RUN...ok well, it is your own house, SLAM THE DOOR! There are plenty of reputable contractors recommended here on this forum. IMO, skip the gutter guards anyway. You can pay someone to clean them for about 10 years at that price.
I don't have gutter guards but have thought about getting them; however, last week, I showed a home with gutter guards. The pine needles from the pine trees were in clumps, laying on top of the gutter guards.

Great that the gutter guards kept the pine needles out of the gutters but since so much of them came down, they were just lying there. Do any of the gutter guards really work?

Vicki

Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times
I am just skeptical of anyone knocking on my door (unless I know them). How do you know that he wasn't checking out your house and what you have on the inside to later come back & clean you out? That was my first thought.
TOTAL SCAM!! Don't let people in your house unless you are expecting them.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:47 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I don't have gutter guards but have thought about getting them; however, last week, I showed a home with gutter guards. The pine needles from the pine trees were in clumps, laying on top of the gutter guards.

Great that the gutter guards kept the pine needles out of the gutters but since so much of them came down, they were just lying there. Do any of the gutter guards really work?

Vicki

I was very skeptical about guards but after climbing up a ladder 10x a year to keep them as clean as they should be, I dove in. If I paid a service $50/visit it would cost me $500/yr. granted, some people don't care about overflowing gutters but I do. Wood rot and foundation drainage can get costly if you let things go. Anyway, got aluminum guards installed. Stuff does pile up BUT:
-water still gets through and down the spout since the spout does not clog.
-I have an extended pole and brush that can reach the gutters. With my house design, I can walk around and brush the guards off in under 10 minutes. I end up cleaning them even thought I don't have to, but it's so simple to do that I don't mind.
-Some stuff, like leaves, blow off in the wind.
-I paid $4/linear foot installed. $400 for the house.

I had them installed early last spring,before the little birch seeds and pine seed pods fell. I had NO issues with clogged gutters (I did not clean them in the spring just to see if they worked). We had a ton of leaves fall this week and they are piled up across the back of my house n top of the guards. Gutters are still draining just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary