Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:47 AM

240 posts, read 1,179,610 times

Advertisements

Gutter covers do exactly what the name implies: they cover the gutters.

Regardless of the brand, the types that "cover" the gutter will allow debris to build up on the top of the covers if you live in a forest of oaks, maples, gums, poplars, or pines. For moderate debris accumulation, when the debris dries out after the rain, a gentle wind will remove SOME of the debris., but not all.

C_Lan has the best idea: install the covers and occasionally manually or mechanically remove the debris by either brushing or blowing away the collected debris.

Even WITH gutter covers, an accumulation of debris that forms a mat sitting on the covers CAN allow water to "back up" under the eave edge of the shingles/sheathing and cause damage to the fascia, sub-facia, rafter (or truss) "tails", run inside the soffit or actually travel inside the building envelope and leave water stains on the ceiling drywall.

If you don't have an appointment with a contractor that YOU have invited to your home to estimate work, SLAM THE DOOR IMMEDIATELY. If you believe that there is a SHREAD of truth to what is being said, tell them that an advance appointment is required that is set my phone, mail or email and lock the door.

Always, always, always, check out any service provider that you allow to have access to your property. Verify the company, secure their certificates of insurance from their insurance carrier directly, check their references, and NEVER, EVER pay anyone anything until you are absolutely and completely satisfied with the quality of the materials and craftsmanship that is provided.

Beware of guys ringing doorbells who are driving a non-company identified truck seeking work doing gutter cleaning, tree removal, pressure washing, driveway repair, leaf collection, etc. Reputable companies drive vehicles with identifiable branding and lettering, have a backlog of work, carry insurance and worker's compensation and provide detailed written work orders/estimates on company letterhead with signature lines for all parties.

Please take action to protect yourself, your children, and your property from potential damage or injury, being cheated, or sued just because you thought hiring someone who "just happened to be working in the neighborhood" or "has some materials left over from another job" or has a floating price list that pressures you to make ANY immediate decision while standing in your doorway was a good idea.

In full disclosure, we are licensed building contractors and are in over 20 homes each week. We hear these stories frequently and it really makes me angry to hear stories of how a unsolicited, high pressure sales pitch resulted in bad things happening to unsuspecting people.

Last week we heard from a customer how the Town of Cary is doing street work and had closed their street for several days. A contractor appeared at their door wearing a reflective orange vest and a hardhat, apologized for the dust and disruption that the heavy equipment had caused, and asked if they needed anyone to clean their gutters or blow their leaves. Obviously, this individual had no connection whatsoever with the paving operation; yet was attempting to take advantage of these folks by presenting himself as something that he was not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 06:26 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post

If you don't have an appointment with a contractor that YOU have invited to your home to estimate work, SLAM THE DOOR IMMEDIATELY. If you believe that there is a SHREAD of truth to what is being said, tell them that an advance appointment is required that is set my phone, mail or email and lock the door.

Always, always, always, check out any service provider that you allow to have access to your property. Verify the company, secure their certificates of insurance from their insurance carrier directly, check their references, and NEVER, EVER pay anyone anything until you are absolutely and completely satisfied with the quality of the materials and craftsmanship that is provided.

Beware of guys ringing doorbells who are driving a non-company identified truck seeking work doing gutter cleaning, tree removal, pressure washing, driveway repair, leaf collection, etc. Reputable companies drive vehicles with identifiable branding and lettering, have a backlog of work, carry insurance and worker's compensation and provide detailed written work orders/estimates on company letterhead with signature lines for all parties.

Please take action to protect yourself, your children, and your property from potential damage or injury, being cheated, or sued just because you thought hiring someone who "just happened to be working in the neighborhood" or "has some materials left over from another job" or has a floating price list that pressures you to make ANY immediate decision while standing in your doorway was a good idea.
Great advice , thanks for sharing it. If you have an elderly parent or a youngster just starting out this would be a good discussion to have with them. It seems so logical but this type of thing happens every day.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Also keep in mind a couple of things -

one - if you hire someone because you feel bad for them (there's a homeless guy who drives around my neighborhood looking to clean gutters and do small odd jobs and people hire him because they feel bad)...YOU become their employer. So if they fall off the ladder and break a leg you're in a heap of trouble.

Second - if you have kids, remember Elizabeth Smart. Enough said.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:15 PM

37 posts, read 102,469 times
mjd07-- your post just made this thought run through my mind: It'd be nice to be able to trust any and all fellow human beings and their motives this day and age, but just watching the news lately it becomes clear that we can't (sorry to get preachy). On sort of a related topic: I got two email phishing scams through my email at work this week, and they were in the similar vain -- a financial agency/entity (both bogus, but sounding similar to a financial unit/office at my workplace) cold-emailing me about a disbursement discrepancy. Folks coming cold to your door to propose work could be trolling along the same lines as these email scammers. I've seen too many On Your Side stories on the local news about bogus contractors walking away with peoples' money, and doing a crappy job, or not doing any work at all. And that could be the best case scenario, if you talk about strangers coming into your house, they may have sicker motives...
My best advice: Look out for yourself... you don't owe this person anything for his having come to your door.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
Hi everyone,

Wow! I've been "down for the count" for the past several days and haven't had a chance to visit the site.

Thank you ALL so much for your comments and insight into this matter. I did find it weird (and a bit insulting) for them to send such an unprofessional "proposal" but I wasn't sure if I was being too "bit city" in that thinking.

I have contacted someone recommended by my neighbor and I plan to contact a couple more contractors. All in all, I have already sent a "not interested, remove name from list" letter to the aforementioned company.

I love CityData Forums just for this reason. I know I can get unbiased, third-party opinions on just about everything.

Thanks again,
mj

Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 PM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times
Even if they were legit, which I doubt, their prices are extremely high. I am in the flooring business, and we normally charge about $7.00, +/- per square foot for removing and disposing of old carpet and pad, sanding and finishing existing hardwoods, and that would include any misc. materials ( not new hardwood flooring or quarter round) . Sorry....we don't do gutters.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary