Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:17 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times

Advertisements

I would try to hold out if I were you. I wouldn't be so concerned about price per square foot. There is a reason for that especially in Chapel Hill. Are you renting or can your rent for a while. There isn't as much coming on the market as was in the Spring. If a good one comes along now it goes quick and what's left now is not the best of picking. If you can sit tight and wait and if not much comes along and it means having to wait until next year when there is more inventory I think it will be worth it. You have to move faster on a house in the spring and granted there isn't as much inventory in Chapel Hill especially in the CH-C school district as compared to Wake.

I just wouldn't buy a home that backs to 40. If you resell, you will sell it eventually but it will take longer and you will have to make concessions like the price per s/f. I know it's tough relocating especially with children. We did it with four from MA also. I think in the end it will be worth it if you could just wait. I know it easier said than done. Good luck. I wish your family all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
We walked away from at least a half dozen homes during our search that were on major roads or highways. Go back at night and sit in your car with it turned off and the windows down. Also know in cooler months the air is thinner and noise travels more so it is likely to be even noisier in the cold months than it is now. Plus the leaves will all be off those trees thus providing less of a buffer and less of a noise barrier. So my answer is nope I sure wouldn't. It is s tough choice when you love a home though. Like I said we walked away from many a home and many a nice lot that we loved except for the road noise.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:06 AM

180 posts, read 662,573 times
Location Location Location!! If this isn't a dream house of yours, put yourself in the next buyer's shoes. What are they going to think about the house? Will it not allow you to make a big profit! It's hard if you love the house, but you may want to walk away from it if you're not planning to stay there for a long time. I truly believe that there is the perfect house out there for all of us!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
As I said before, it depends on your tolerance for noise. After a bit, even trains coming by will fade out and be ignored.

If you will stay in the home indefinitely and get it at a price reflecting its location, it might be great for you.

However, as others have advised, you'd be best avoiding it if you don't plan a long term occupancy there.

I'm a city boy and quiet bothers me a lot more than noise. I love a police car or fire truck siren at night reminding me that life goes on.

Perhaps this comes from living 10 years in lower Manhattan.

Good luck with your selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary