Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,267,649 times

Advertisements

If you missed the parade you missed a good time. The weather was great and the crowds enjoyed the floats, bands, and different groups. I guess a some people would feel better about it if it took place 7 days later (then it would be after Thanksgiving) but I'm not going to split hairs about the parade happening one week too soon when I'm not the one footing the bill. (It's paid for by the Raleigh Merchant's Association - NOT the city of Raleigh). Check it out next year. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 AM

814 posts, read 2,005,863 times
We love the Christmas parade and hate to have missed it the last couple years as the kids had competitions. Our church is on the route and gives away hot chocolate..very fun.

But comments like this:

Quote:
his company called "Macys" out of New York City started filming theirs while broadcasting it live at the same time.............. Maybe Raleigh could learn :-) :-) :-)
DRive me crazy. WRAL has broadcast Raleigh's for years. I don't see the point. That NYC has a better parade than Raleigh....duh! Why do certain people have to post something about everything local saying, but the one in (insert big city of a popular WAY larger than Raleigh that you moved here from) was way better. THe implication is that we are somehow yokels or unworthy because of it. It is comments like this that get locals grumpy.

Back to wishing that I could have gone to the Raleigh parade, which is fun, and local and easy to attend!
THanks for the pictures!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:58 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,148,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
We love the Christmas parade and hate to have missed it the last couple years as the kids had competitions. Our church is on the route and gives away hot chocolate..very fun.

But comments like this:

DRive me crazy. WRAL has broadcast Raleigh's for years. I don't see the point. That NYC has a better parade than Raleigh....duh! Why do certain people have to post something about everything local saying, but the one in (insert big city of a popular WAY larger than Raleigh that you moved here from) was way better. THe implication is that we are somehow yokels or unworthy because of it. It is comments like this that get locals grumpy.

Back to wishing that I could have gone to the Raleigh parade, which is fun, and local and easy to attend!
THanks for the pictures!
The point is that they could do it on November 26th and broadcast it live after Thanksgiving if the excuse for having it before Thanksgiving is so it can be broadcasted throughout December.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,267,649 times
I think all the people unhappy about when the parade is held should hold an "Occupy the Raleigh Christmas Parade" protest.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,725,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
I'd have to agree with them. It's not the eager neighbor that's the problem....but more like other seasons being swept under the rug as retail establishments rush and cram it down our throats.....

Walmart had Christmas section up before Halloween this year....last year it seemed they waited until at least into November a little. Same for lowes and home depot.
Nope. I don't mean to pick on you in particular but some people seem to have nostalgia blinders on. The major stores have been having their Christmas stuff start to creep out before Halloween for a good decade or more. I can distinctly remember being shocked to see the artificial trees making an appearance at Lowes the last weekend in September at least five years ago.

Regarding the Christmas parade, I have been down here for 14 years and as far as I can remember it has always been the weekend before Thanksgiving. As for why the weekend before, I can imagine the Raleigh Merchants Association would rather have you out shopping the Saturday after Thanksgiving than at their parade.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 PM

447 posts, read 1,618,827 times
I think the storm troopers are part of the 501st Legion. They are a fan club and go to conventions, parades, and do charity events.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,213 times
Um I did not personally see it but I am pretty sure WRAL did broadcast it live... IIRC I remember seeing a commercial saying as such and this webpage seems to indicate the same.

Raleigh Christmas Parade draws thousands :: WRAL.com

Quote:
9:45: Bill says that as many as 75,000 people are expected for today's festivities. The parade begins in less than 15 minutes on WRAL-TV and on WRAL.com.

9:52: Just got word that the parade has started. Coverage begins on WRAL-TV and online at WRAL.com at 10 a.m.

9:58: Our live stream of the parade is up and running.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,415,217 times
Wonderful pictures! Thanks for posting.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 AM

814 posts, read 2,005,863 times
Quote:
Regarding the Christmas parade, I have been down here for 14 years and as far as I can remember it has always been the weekend before Thanksgiving. As for why the weekend before, I can imagine the Raleigh Merchants Association would rather have you out shopping the Saturday after Thanksgiving than at their parade.
Right...it has ALWAYS been this weekend, to get people out the following weekend to shop. As an earlier poster said, they are paying for it, they pick the weekend. Plus, it means we get lots of local bands cause it is not the same weekend as other parades!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,765,594 times
Photographer friend shot these for the Raleigh Downtowner Magazine:

Rodney Boles Photography | Raleigh Christmas Parade 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary