Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I like to sleep on my stomach and side, and not my back...so fluffy down pillows you find everywhere aren't cutting it for me. Target used to have one that was meant for my sleep style, and I have one, but it's developed a huge lump on the left side that I can't get out and that keeps cricking my neck every night.

I need a relatively flat, firm pillow - but where in the area can I find a good selection to shop? I don't what the cost is any more - I just want to sleep well again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
I fully understand. I sleep the same way. I hope this tip helps...

After a lifetime of fighting with pillows, I found that a throw (small blanket) with velvety softness on one side and fake sheep ("sherpa") on the other works best. I can fold it and bunch it up any way I want, and it works great on top of any another pillow. Yes, I sleep with a blankie.

Similar to this:

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/BedBath/Featured_Shop/Quilts/Throws/PRD~7100524MICRO7550PM/Home+Accents+Micro+Mink+Sherpa+Throw.jsp?off=0

Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I fully understand. I sleep the same way. I hope this tip helps...

After a lifetime of fighting with pillows, I found that a throw (small blanket) with velvety softness on one side and fake sheep ("sherpa") on the other works best. I can fold it any way I want, and it works great on top of any another pillow. Yes, I sleep with a blankie.

Similar to this:

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/BedBath/Featured_Shop/Quilts/Throws/PRD~7100524MICRO7550PM/Home+Accents+Micro+Mink+Sherpa+Throw.jsp?off=0
Do you put it inside a pillow case to keep it sort of "one piece" or just leave it as is? I'm tired of waking up and adjusting myself and I think if it unfolded I would be disturbed and awake trying to get it right again.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I sleep the same way. Several years ago I switched to a traditionally-shaped memory foam pillow - one that is reasonably soft and has some "give." If I have to travel I take it with me if I can. I didn't buy an expensive one - I probably got it at Bed Bath and Beyond or the like.

My wife has a true TempurPedic memory foam pillow - shapped like a sloped wedge. It's too firm for me, and I don't like the sloped shape.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 AM

BB&B, I thought they went out of business. Will have to check there.

The problem with pillows as my sleepless friends can attest, is that once you try it, you can't return it. So it's kind of a gamble. But I'm tired (literally and figuratively) of this and need to fix it.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
BB&B, I thought they went out of business. Will have to check there.

No that was Linens and Things. DOn't know about N. Raleigh but there's a BB&B at Crossroads.
I do like Target pillows, because they are pretty flat, I don't sleep on my back either and I don't like a poufy pillow.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 AM

Excellent...time to go shopping. How exciting.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 AM

540 posts, read 1,105,803 times
I mostly side and stomach sleep also and my current pillow I picked up when it was on clearance at Macy's so that is probably not any help!

I would stop by BB&B to check out what they have. In North Raleigh, there is a BB&B near Triangle Town Center (in the shopping strip near Dick's Sporting Goods) and also next to Home Depot at Six Forks Station at Six Forks/Strickland.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:34 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,219 times
Brookstone at Crabtree had a bunch of memory foam pillows, and also Select Comfort there has them. Probably cheaper at Bed Bath and Beyond but easier to try out at Select Comfort. There is a BB&B at Triangle Town Center and also a Brookstone.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:42 AM

223 posts, read 577,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
The problem with pillows as my sleepless friends can attest, is that once you try it, you can't return it. So it's kind of a gamble. But I'm tired (literally and figuratively) of this and need to fix it.
Exactly, though I understand why they won't take returns. My wife and I are both side-sleepers and have tried every pillow out there. Select Comfort had a good one, but it would only retain its firmness/support for a month or two.

Try Macy's or Costco (if you are a member). They allow for returns.

Here's what we've been sleeping on for about a year. The pillow has maintained most of its firmness. It was a bit too hard/stiff at first, so we put weights on it for a day. My wife sleeps on it the "normal" way with the grove for her head. I flip it over to have a flat pillow. Works great, supports my neck and no more flipping all night. Much cheaper too. $30 vs. $120 at Select Comfort, and in my opinion, a better quality pillow. We stocked up and bought several.

Martha Stewart Collection, Sleep Wise Support Foam Countour Pillow - SALE & CLOSEOUTS - Bed & Bath - Macy's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary